Bad
Good

I fell in love with this school and it's amazing community on my first days an my love has only improved since then. This school offers education and opportunity while having the students look forward to every lesson. There are many events, like spirt days or school plays that most if not all students are excited to experience. All the teachers at Sunny Brae Middle School love their student and help them with all there needs. In all my experiences with school sunny brae has been my most enjoyable and it still stands the undefeated champion of schools in my eyes.

Amount of homework: Agree

A perfect amount of homework is assigned to help them learn without any pressure or strictness.

Develops character: Strongly agree

This school inspires students daily with the amazing teachers and events causing many to take to charities and help their community.

We are really happy with this school. Our son feels like he can be himself and be accepted and he is doing well academically. There is a positive climate. The music program is fantastic and there is a nice variety of fun electives. The only thing we would change is that the block schedule doesn't allow for any flexibility with classes. Kids have to take grade level math for example and can take a higher level math class as an elective in addition to, but not instead of the grade level class. The principal is proactive and fully engaged. All together this has been a great choice for our son.

My son is excelling and the environment is very positive. I really like the teachers and staff and the principal is amazing. Very happy we chose Sunnybrae!

I don't even know what to say. I graduated from Sunny Brae in June of 2013 and I miss it so much it hurts. Every person at Sunny Brae was a part of my family and I love them all so much. Ms. Yeoman, the principal, was accessible nearly every minute of every day. By the second week of school, if she didn't know a student's name, she swore to give them a candy bar, but I don't remember a single occasion where she failed to know one's name. At Sunny Brae, teachers notice you. They know you. They can tell if you are sad and they CARE. Mrs. Hubbard, the main math teacher, is so passionate about math and loves it all so much, math haters find themselves loving and acing her class. Ms. Berrett, one of the english teachers, made us STAR toast every year to ease stress, and I have not heard a single student say that they didn't absolutely love her! As a P.E. alternative, students can take a Zumba class with Ms. Youmans. I will never forget Sunny Brae, School of the Roadrunners. The by far best days of my life were in its halls. I met my best friend in the world at Sunny Brae. I accomplished my biggest achievement yet under guidence of Mrs. Hubbard. I felt for the first time that I belonged.

It is a great public school with a very involved principal on the student level. The principal is out there on the school yard and actively keeps an eye on things. If kids have problems they can approach her in many different ways without other kids knowing. Great teachers all around which is reflected in both scores and academic awards. The emphasis on academics in turn attracts parents from outside our district which help bolster our academics. Great school for the transition to Arcata High School. In addition to core academics, kids also have several electives per day. Great digital media elective which my son wish could expand to include a coding academy. If you want your kid to have a excellent foundation for going to an academic high school, Sunny Brae is your choice regardless of where you live in Humboldt county

There are so many bullies and hurtful words flying around, many of them hit me. The teachers were very good, but I wish the kids were more focused on what matters. I would have liked higher level classes as well.

I like the teachers very much, but the level of bullies here is outrageous! I know many kids who have had similar experiences, and I think that there is a definite bit of stereotypical middle school at this school, but, as I said before, most of the teachers are nice.

Because of the wonderful, caring staff and the diversity and uniqueness of the student. It's a perfect recipe for success. And as an added bonus, we won the Blue Ribbon award this year.

Last modified Sunny Brae Middle School is a Public school that serves grades 6-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 7 out of 10 based on academic quality.