Arcata, CA

Posted October 20, 2014
We are really happy with this school. Our son feels like he can be himself and be accepted and he is doing well academically. There is a positive climate. The music program is fantastic and there is a nice variety of fun electives. The only thing we would change is that the block schedule doesn't allow for any flexibility with classes. Kids have to take grade level math for example and can take a higher level math class as an elective in addition to, but not instead of the grade level class. The principal is proactive and fully engaged. All together this has been a great choice for our son.

Posted October 09, 2014
My son is excelling and the environment is very positive. I really like the teachers and staff and the principal is amazing. Very happy we chose Sunnybrae!

Posted December 04, 2013
I don't even know what to say. I graduated from Sunny Brae in June of 2013 and I miss it so much it hurts. Every person at Sunny Brae was a part of my family and I love them all so much. Ms. Yeoman, the principal, was accessible nearly every minute of every day. By the second week of school, if she didn't know a student's name, she swore to give them a candy bar, but I don't remember a single occasion where she failed to know one's name. At Sunny Brae, teachers notice you. They know you. They can tell if you are sad and they CARE. Mrs. Hubbard, the main math teacher, is so passionate about math and loves it all so much, math haters find themselves loving and acing her class. Ms. Berrett, one of the english teachers, made us STAR toast every year to ease stress, and I have not heard a single student say that they didn't absolutely love her! As a P.E. alternative, students can take a Zumba class with Ms. Youmans. I will never forget Sunny Brae, School of the Roadrunners. The by far best days of my life were in its halls. I met my best friend in the world at Sunny Brae. I accomplished my biggest achievement yet under guidence of Mrs. Hubbard. I felt for the first time that I belonged.

Posted June 10, 2013
It is a great public school with a very involved principal on the student level. The principal is out there on the school yard and actively keeps an eye on things. If kids have problems they can approach her in many different ways without other kids knowing. Great teachers all around which is reflected in both scores and academic awards. The emphasis on academics in turn attracts parents from outside our district which help bolster our academics. Great school for the transition to Arcata High School. In addition to core academics, kids also have several electives per day. Great digital media elective which my son wish could expand to include a coding academy. If you want your kid to have a excellent foundation for going to an academic high school, Sunny Brae is your choice regardless of where you live in Humboldt county

Sunny Brae Middle School 3

Posted June 20, 2011
There are so many bullies and hurtful words flying around, many of them hit me. The teachers were very good, but I wish the kids were more focused on what matters. I would have liked higher level classes as well.

Sunny Brae Middle School 2

Posted February 07, 2010
I like the teachers very much, but the level of bullies here is outrageous! I know many kids who have had similar experiences, and I think that there is a definite bit of stereotypical middle school at this school, but, as I said before, most of the teachers are nice.

Posted September 18, 2009
Because of the wonderful, caring staff and the diversity and uniqueness of the student. It's a perfect recipe for success. And as an added bonus, we won the Blue Ribbon award this year.

Posted September 18, 2009
What isn't there to like? The staff is caring, the principal is involved and knows all the students on a first name basis, high academic expectations, and wonderful sports, arts, and electives programs,

Posted September 18, 2009
Sunny Brae Middle School is a beautiful, small school where we build community while we open young minds. Staff and students grow together, learn to work out differences, do lots of outside activities, and explore a rich, deep curriculum.

Sunny Brae Middle School 0

Posted September 17, 2009
Sunnybrae has very caring and committed teachers and staff. The program is designed to help Every child succeed!

Sunny Brae Middle School
1430 Buttermilk Lane, Arcata, CA  95521
Last modified Sunny Brae Middle School is a Public school that serves grades 6-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Sunny Brae Middle School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 30 reviews. Top