Arcata Elementary School 3

Posted October 11, 2014
I know this is a simplification, but my experience as a 4th grade teacher for the past 8 years is that learning happens best when you combine (1) dedicated and involved parents, (2) curious and well-fed kids on a regular sleep and exercise schedule, and (3) creative, enthusiastic, and professional teachers and administrators. Unfortunately, Arcata Elementary only has about 1 and a half of these ingredients going for them. They have a lot of skilled, nurturing, and enthusiastic teachers and a new principal who tries hard to lead and cultivate a positive and safe learning environment. But, they have dismal parent involvement (only 4 parents of the 22 kids in my daughter's class attended the back to school night event) and many children struggle with a variety of behavioral problems and many more are at least 1 grade level below the grade that they attend. What can this school do to change the parenting the kids receive? Not much. I don't see how it can improve, although I wish things were better.

Posted September 12, 2014
Amazing, love the staff and the learning environment. I love the school and how positive everyone is.

Arcata Elementary School 4

Posted September 28, 2013
Arcata Elementary has great teachers and good programs. Seems like every year the site council struggles to keep the classroom aides and art/music/dance programs in place as the district admin doesn't seem to care about those things. I am hopeful the new principal can help keep the school going at top notch.

Posted September 23, 2013
I have two sons at Arcata Elementary, and I'm confident they are getting the best education available in Humboldt. Other schools may have higher test scores, but they have nothing on the richness of programs Arcata Elementary has to offer. This school has extraordinary teachers and an amazing array of support programs. Arcata Elementary's program is broad and deep, focused on helping my children develop all parts of themselves. The teachers are excellent, highly trained, committed, and enthusiastic. There are dance and music classes, along with fine arts in the classroom. The school counselor is working on friendship skills. A new garden on campus will be supplementing lunches with fresh veggies. The after school program includes physical education, arts and crafts, and service learning opportunities. Also, I love that Arcata Elementary reflects the Arcata community. Humboldt isn't a particularly diverse place, but my kids are getting the benefits of what diversity we have. They have friends from all walks of life, and that's a lift gift you can't measure.

Posted July 22, 2013
Arcata Elementary School, in my opinion, is the best school in within Humboldt County. The teachers there love what they do and work hard to give their students (our children) the best elearning experience possible. I would recommend this school to any parents looking for a great school for their children to learn amd grow in. My daughter goes to Arcata Elementary qnd she absolutely loves it! I volunteer a couple of days a week so I have had the opportunity to witness first hand how awesome this school is. From the office, to the teachers and aides, to the lunch room staff, after school program, and the custodians; they all take care in all they do. Don't just take my word for it, check it out of yourself!

Posted April 28, 2010
Great school. Great art and geography programs. Dedicated teachers. Great for special education kids. Wish there was a school like that where we moved.

Arcata Elementary School 0

Posted September 16, 2009
The staff is wonderful, they all love their job and the students benefit exponentially because of it!

Posted August 01, 2009
I woudl say by far this is one of the best schools in Humboldt County. My two children went here and we found the educatoin to be great. The PTA is very involved, there is a high number of extracurricular education, and a rounded education that doesn't focus soley on math and english but also geography, art, and having fun. Great students, great parents. Great special education program. I wish we had a school like this in our area now. It felt like a free private education. HIghly recommend.

Arcata Elementary School 4

Posted August 01, 2009
I wanted to say to those looking at this school for special needs children, it has changed from 'Sunset' school to Arcata ELementary. The name change came when Bloomfield School of global Studies closed and merged with Sunset, and it became Arcata Elementary with a focus on global studies and the arts. The special education team came from Bloomfield and now they have a first rate special day class, which works hard to include students and mainstream, while understanding their unique challenges. Great school and great for special ed kids.

Posted June 15, 2009
Just moved here from the Bay Area and my daughter completed her kindergarten year at Arcata Elementary. The school is excellent at creating a small community feel. Parent involvement is high, the teachers are obviously professional and caring, and Principal Flenner is receptive and aware. Love this school!

Arcata Elementary School
2400 Baldwin Street, Arcata, CA  95521
Last modified Arcata Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 4 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Arcata Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 15 reviews. Top