Posted April 28, 2014
My daughter is a 3rd grader in this school. She has been here for 4 years (since kindergarden). She was always happy about the school! She never complained and refused to go to school. What an amazing achievement from school staffs! All the kids I knew just love the school so much and they said they are nuts about Laurel. The teachers of each grade we had so far are all nice to the kids. On her 2nd grade, the teacher's mom did volunteer for the whole year! The principle is very responsible, I often see her standing there organizing the parking and car pool. We also received weekly update about school news. School has many kinds of enrichment classes: music, art, science, debate, math. Some of these classes are hold by caring parent volunteers. Their homework load is reasonable, little lighter than other school I know, but kids perform very well. I mostly see 90%+, even 95%+ on the STAR report. I am happy with Laurel, will send my younger boy to Laurel again!

Posted April 25, 2014
Our child was in this school from K-3 and we loved every minute of it. We had an outstanding 1st grade teacher, truly awesome. All the other teachers were very good. The 'music lady' is a community treasure. We didn't have any issues with the principal. Parents are very involved and there are opportunities to volunteer even if you work a lot.

Posted April 04, 2014
Wow, I'm at my last straw with the principal. I have 2 kids at laurel - one in 3rd who has been there since K and another in K this year. The teachers have all been lovely and the school community is wonderful, but the principal is downright passive aggressive and unwelcoming. I am considering taking my Kindergartener out next year.

Laurel Elementary School 4

Posted July 19, 2013
I had a kindergartner and a 2nd grader at Laurel, and we are transferring to a different school because of the principal's lack of leadership. This is really unfortunate because Laurel has some wonderful teachers, a great Art in Action program, and a parent-base that is highly active. Great hot lunch program, library, music, and extracurricular activities, but I can't even begin to express how disappointed I am with the principal.

Posted December 30, 2012
We have been very pleased with Laurel. We have children in first grade and kindergarten. The class sizes are small (23 and 20 respectively) and with the early bird/late bird program in kindergarten there are only 10 kids in the classroom when it's time for math and reading. Both my children were reading by December of their kindergarten year after attending only play-based preschools. Teachers and the principal are readily available to discuss any questions/concerns. Bullying is not tolerated and my children feel very safe. The music program is sweet. The Art in Action program is well-done. There's a full-time librarian and this year my kindergartener has come home with 2 new library books each day!

Posted September 11, 2012
I thought I would move to MP to have my kids attend a "GOOD" school. Laurel is good, until you have issues/ problems w/ teachers/ principal that thinks she knows what she is doing and DOES NOT. Parents - it's all show off ( high school ) all over again. Not warm and friendly. I give up! I want to move and get my kids out of this school. Too crowded... only goes up to 3rd grade - then the kids switch to another school. Too much headache!

Posted October 18, 2011
There are way too many kids here, unfortunately. It's pretty a pretty school at least, but its gotten very crowded. The new principal is an extension of the old principal, which is not good. Very wealthy families attend, and they like to display their wealth...and the feeling is sort of like high school for the moms, all over again. It can get very, very catty and shallow here. Ugh.

Posted February 25, 2011
My son went to school at Laurel and it was a great experience. Teachers were wonderful. Very strong parent involvement and support from the foundation make this nurturing neighborhood school a great place to be. Academics are strong and extra curricular activities readily available.

Posted January 18, 2011
We are very pleased with this school. Our daughter's teacher is warm, dedicated and connected with the students. Our daughter has learned a lot and loves school. Great ratio, esp in kindergarten, beautiful campus, library, fields. We toured many schools before deciding to move to Menlo Park (based on the schools) and we have not been disappointed. I also used to be a teacher and do know more about education than some people. I am also quite surprised about the complaints below. The principal is fairly new, and fabulous. She has a kindergarten child herself, so she understand parents and kids. We see nothing lacking in music or science. Our daughter is pleased with those teachers too and is learning. Any family would be lucky to have their kids at this school.

Laurel Elementary School 2

Posted May 06, 2010
The music program is very poor...not much science either....excellent teachers for the most part. No noticeable innovation or creativity schoolwide.

Laurel Elementary School
95 Edge Road, Atherton, CA  94027
Last modified Laurel Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-3. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Laurel Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 25 reviews. Top