No rating

Menlo School

Private | 6-12 | 795 students

Menlo School is known for being challenging, engaging and joyful.

Living in Atherton

Situated in a suburban neighborhood. The median home value is $2,412,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,710.

Posted June 8, 2014

Great School, teachers, lots of support, and super hardworking and smart students. SAT I CR: 90-95%tile nationally, 90-95%tile CA state, but only place you around 50-60%tile at this school. SAT I Math: 96%tile nationally, 96%tile CA state, but only place you around 60-70%tile at this school

Posted May 14, 2013

My child attended Menlo's Upper School and overall it is above average, but not exceptional. There are some strong teachers here and a few my child would identify as truly engaging. At the same time, some teachers seemed to be assigned class sections outside their normal subjects, and that lack of experience carried into the classroom. Talking with other parents there were significant disparities between some teachers and others, especially within the physical and social sciences. To be fair, our expectations of Menlo were probably set too high. Taking less than 20% of those who apply, people raved about the school. Our child came from a highly ranked public elementary school system that school also had a mixed bag of teachers. As we were now writing a large tuition check, we expected higher quality and more consistency. Menlo is good, but by no means an educational utopia. Other observations -- Menlo could greatly improve how they integrate new students with existing ones as there is a definite hierarchy, but after awhile you see the school spirit is strong. In addition some of the $$ spent in staff (there are a lot of them) might be better invested in the classroom.

Posted November 7, 2012

I am a proud alumna who maintains a great connection with the Menlo School community. I truly feel that Menlo was the best decision I have ever made in my life. I was awarded the financial aid I needed to fit in with my peers. I was able to pay for my photography supplies, books, and Menlo gear at the bookstore, amongst many other necessities. I was even provided a tutor so that I could be on an equal playing field with other students, who had incredible study skills and were well-prepared from their respective middle schools. Despite their privilege, all of my peers were very humble. I made many great friends with students, faculty and staff. The teachers were always available, and I went to office hours on a weekly basis for extra help. Many of my friends and their parents became extended family. As a confident and proud minority, I have always felt welcomed and supported at Menlo. I often tell people that I left Menlo more knowledgeable and happier than when I graduated from University. The curriculum was so rigorous that I could have easily started a successful career.

Posted October 30, 2012

My children are having a wonderful experience at Menlo School. The academic offerings are extensive and challenging but the caring teachers are available to help when needed. Teachers seek students out when necessary and parents are kept informed. Teachers have been supportive of my children s individual needs and this seems to be the norm. Both my children are enthusiastic about going to school. Menlo fosters engagement in not only the classroom but in all aspects of the School community. Students are inclusive and when my children, new to the school as freshman, have felt welcome and valued. Menlo encourages families to become involved. Events are sponsored that help new families transition to the school easy. Large numbers of parents volunteer at the school and all are encouraged to participate. We chose Menlo after visiting several other schools but we didn t consider any of the other independent schools because there were none that, we felt, compared to Menlo. From our first visit to Menlo we met many thoughtful parents, faculty, and staff and could immediately see why Menlo was different from the other schools.

Posted August 5, 2012

This school is pathetic. It teaches the kids to have a sense of entitlement and a lack of community. It's all about being rich. Even on their application they only have 3 questions for parents and one is "What can you give to Menlo?" ....they also ask the name of the student's grandparents (in case they are rich & important and the school doesn't connect the names). I am ashamed of this school.

Posted July 2, 2011

I am so sorry about my spelling. I graduated a very long time ago. I meant *opportunistic.

Posted May 18, 2011

If all you complain about is how Menlo is arrogant and elitist, how rich the families are, etc., but not how amazing the quality of teaching is, you should not go there. Many kids from families that did not/could not donate mega amount, also enjoyed the school and was praised for what they do, not what their family have. The school tried so hard to recruit (and provide financial aid if needed to) different background of students in order to make diversified student body. When things don t work out (did not get accepted, failed in classes etc., bad behavior), some bad feelings going around. I did not remember "Who are your grandparents in the application, could you show? "What can you give to Menlo?" You can give time and wisdom.

Posted February 8, 2011

Too many people have drunk the Kool Aid at Menlo. It is a beautiful campus with top notch facilities and very good faculty. However, it is a school for the unbelievably privileged and elitist families. The level of parental involvement is stifling to the point where I cannot imagine any student actually becoming independent! Menlo's sports programs are excellent but the school values athletics more than academics in middle school. The sixth grade class has not cracked open a book all year. The upper school college process is daunting and the administration clearly favors those families who have contributed mega-bucks to the school. If you are not "in" the upper strata, don't bother coming here and feeling like a nobody. Your kid will hate it.

Posted May 13, 2010

I graduated from menlo over 10 years ago. I was very lucky to receive a scholarship from this prestigious school. While I am very grateful for the excellent education I received, I wish there was more support for students that don't fit the Menlo mold (students of low-socioeconomic background and students of color). I felt very isolated while I was there. I am sure I would have gotten more out my education at Menlo had I felt more supported. I realized what I was missing when I went to a very diverse and supportive college.

Posted March 9, 2010

I think that this school is very accepting, and makes you really feel good. I entered afraid and unsure, as a minority, but as I progressed, I have realized that I had nothing to fear. This school has given me so much, and welcomed me fully. I wish to go there for the rest of my education.
—Submitted by a student

Posted June 5, 2009

My children and I joined the Menlo community with great enthusiasm; unfortunately that has not lasted. This is not a place for strong girls and for students of color. My kids have gotten a good education but never really welcomed into the core of Menlo. Disappointing.

Posted March 5, 2009

Menlo is a great school. it teaches people so much it is from 6th grade to 12th grade. it has a great sport program. you should put your child at Menlo!!!!

Posted September 26, 2006

Menlo is an excellent school with an engaging & challenging curriculum. The head of school is always looking for ways to make the school even better. All teachers are wonderful & love their career & love to teach. In addition to academics Menlo provides many opportunities for the students such as a rich music, art ,drama, sports program. They have many clubs such as computer, yearbook, art, board games, chorus and many, many more. Parents involvement is high. I have an 8th grader who loves going to school everyday. Not only is our child learning, we have learned as well. Some of topics which we have learned from her are Genetically Engineered food, the 3 Gorges Dam in China & use of children soldiers in parts of Africa & Asia. We spent 6 dissatisfied year in the public school system & have no regrets in making the switch.

Posted May 8, 2006

Menlo School has a wealth of resources at its fingertips: the sports programs are first rate, money is allocated for a lunchtime speaker series, musicians from around the world frequently perform. The population at Menlo is not diverse; however, the school is attempting to address the lack of both socioeconomic and ethnic differences. The campus recently added new buildings to the upper school campus, so the most of the buildings have been built within the last seven years. The faculty and college counsellers (four in 2007 to serve 140ish students1) provide an academically challenging curriculum while remaining supportive. Overall, a solid school.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted March 17, 2005

Excellent academic programs; high quality music and art programs. Very active parent group.

Posted October 28, 2004

Menlo is a wonderful place. Very enriching, wonderful subjects. Kids will have a great experience here. My daughters love it!

Posted June 21, 2004

Menlo School is a great school for any student. The support they get from the teachers and from their peers is amazing. I find that I was never allowed to only do the minimum, they pushed me to do my best and for that I am thankful. Menlo school isn't like most schools, Menlo is a community where the families of all the students are just as involved as the teachers. We all work together to achieve what we want, and I think that's what makes Menlo a one-of-a-kind school.
—Submitted by a student

Posted October 25, 2003

Being a parent of two children attending Menlo School for the last seven years, I can truly recommend Menlo to anyone who values an education that is high quality, challenging, caring, and character building.

Posted August 19, 2003

Menlo School is a great school and I am proud to say that all my children have or are attending there.

Ethnicity This school
White 65%
Two or more races 10%
Black 6%
Hispanic 2%
American Indian/Alaska Native 1%
Hawaiian Native/Pacific Islander 0%
Source: NCES, 2009-2010

College readiness and student pathways

Percentage of students going to 4-year college 100% (2013)
Read more about resources at this school
Source: Manually entered by a school official.

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Art teacher(s)
College counselor(s)
Poetry/Creative writing teacher(s)
Robotics/Technology specialist(s)
Security personnel
School psychologist
Foreign languages spoken by school staff Chinese (Mandarin)
French
Hebrew
Italian
Japanese
Spanish
Vietnamese
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by a school official.

Special education / special needs

Level of special education programming offered
  • None - the school offers no services
Specialized programs for specific types of special education students
  • Specific learning disabilities
  • Differentiated learning programs

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer specialist(s)
  • Technology club

Arts & music

• Art teacher(s)
  • Music teacher(s)
  • Poetry/Creative writing teacher(s)
  • Art room

• 7:50 am
School end time
  • 3:00 pm
  • Mr. Than Healy
Best ways for parents to contact the school
  • Phone
  • submit form on website
  • Coed
Special schedule
  • Block scheduling
Boarding options
  • Day school
Is there an application process?
Affiliation

• Honors track
  • Independent Study
  • Internships
  • STEM
Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• None
Bi-lingual or language immersion programs offered

Level of special education programming offered

• Math specialist(s)
  • Music teacher(s)
  • Nurse(s)
  • PE instructor(s)
  • Poetry/Creative writing teacher(s)
  • Robotics/Technology specialist(s)

Media arts
  • Computer animation
  • Video / Film production

Student clubs

Clubs (distinct from courses)
  • Amnesty international
  • Community service
  • Dance club
  • Debate
  • Foreign language and culture club
  • Future Business Leaders of America (FBLA)
  • Game club
  • Yearbook
  • Yoga club

School culture

Dress Code
  • Neither uniforms nor dress code
Bullying policy
  • This school has a bullying and/or cyber bullying policy in place.
  • Chaperone school trips
  • Join PTO/PTA
  • Organize cultural events
  • Organize fundraising events (school auction, bake sales, etc.)
  • Present special topics during curricular units
  • Serve on school improvement team or governance council
  • Volunteer time after school

Apply now

What does it cost?

Vouchers accepted
Financial aid offered

Planning ahead

College preparation / awareness offered
SAT/ACT prep classes
College presentations or information sessions
College prep programs/courses during the year
Students' post-graduation plans in 2013