No rating

St. Joseph Catholic School

Private | K-8 | 189 students

Academic achievement and character development in a faith-based environment

Living in Auburn

Situated in a suburban neighborhood. The median home value is $233,300. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $990.

Posted June 8, 2014

I thought things would get better with the new principal but they haven't. The people at this school are very cliquish and parents bully each other. The faculty seem to favor some families over others. Unfortunately this has caused a lot of pain for my poor little girl.

Posted May 13, 2014

We did our own research, toured and decided that this was the best place and learning environment for our children. This was our first year and we consider SJCS a home away from home for our children and family. Tour the school and other schools around; ask your own questions before you decide what is right for your family. We choose SJCS for these reasons- strong education and community- and it has been GREAT!

Posted April 2, 2014

With an excellent new principal and a wonderful new 8th grade teacher on board this year, this school gets better and better. Academics and extra curricular activities, our children build a great foundation for their high school experience.

Posted March 21, 2014

I am astonished by recent reviews. The 5 star reviews must be written by administrators or parents who have known of no other school than SJCS. I know for a fact there are many families who have left SJCS due to weak curriculum, poor classroom behavior, a lack of attention to how cruel students are to one another, and a lack of strong upper grade teachers. Going to Mass once a week and having daily religion class does guarantee students will treat one another with respect and compassion. My children attended SJCS for a number of years. They say the school they are at now is a "10" and SJCS was a "3." When I asked why such a low rating for SJCS, they said compared to where they are now, SJCS was unorganized, the teachers weren't as good as the ones they have now, and the students were mean to one another. They often witnessed students being cruel to one another (shouldn't there by higher expectations at a parochial school?), the after-school daycare program was a joke (nothing structured, students using cell phones, on YouTube, jokes of a sexual nature being told on the playground, and nothing being taken seriously when concerns raised). Do your research. You can do better.

Posted January 22, 2014

As Catholic School s week approaches, we recall our reason for sending our children to St. Joseph Catholic School (SJCS). We believed in the value of a faith-based education. Developing the students Catholic identity is a priority for SJCS. The students study religion and prepare for their Sacraments. They study and celebrate the holidays. They attend mass on Wednesdays. Each week a class serves the mass. Through this on-going process, students are able to hone their public speaking skills and experience service in a very significant way. The student mass is a special experience to share and discuss at home. These activities have helped to provide our children with a foundation of faith. The true value of their faith-based education has been particularly evident when life takes an unexpected turn. We ve experienced the illness and loss of family and friends. Through these trials, our children have prayed with their teachers and classmates, made cards and other prayerful gifts. They ve learned the important role that they can play in people s lives when things go wrong. We are eternally grateful for the life-long gift of faith that Catholic education that has given to our kids.

Posted January 14, 2014

This school is amazing!!! ALL the teachers are credentialed and highly qualified including the upper grades! I would not send my child to any other school. Unfortunately there has been some turn over in the last few years but this happens everywhere. The staff at St Joseph's is loving, caring, compassionate and overly qualified. If you want your child to have a exceptional education in a loving environment, this is the school!

Posted January 10, 2014

This is an amazing school. My son, who is a little more academic and shy, has really flourished and come out of his shell at this school. He is academically challenged every day, making so many friends, and is really getting involved in extracurriculars. BTW: I have checked on the credentials and masters of the teachers in this school because I am quite particular, and each teacher is more than qualified and goes above and beyond for each child. The new principal is amazing, faith-filled, and enthusiastic while being very sensitive to the needs of the parents and community. I cannot speak more highly of a school after the experience we have had!

Posted January 9, 2014

We have been very pleased with the level of education (academic/moral/social) that our children have received so far. Their development as people has far exceeded our expectiations. The new Principal is very commited to improving every aspect of the school. Class sizes are very manageable and the extra-cirricular activities are strong.

Posted January 5, 2014

This will more than likely be our last year, if we can muster through the second half of the year. Before you look at this school, please ask how many different principals there have been in the last few years, how many different upper grade teachers there have been, and ask to see the upper grade math and science curriculum and the credentials of the teachers instructing those classes. We do think this principal may be able to get things on track, eventually, but it is unfortunately too late for our children.

Posted July 10, 2013

Hands down this is the Best School in the area! My two children have attended since kindergarten and we love the school community. My children thrive in this environment. The teachers care and excel in their teaching abilities. The middle school is preparing my oldest child for attendance at the high school of their choice. I have been more than satisfied with his school and truly believe that it is the best kept secret among Catholic Schools!

Posted June 10, 2013

My husband and I started our daughter at the local public school. We had our son in the pre-school at St Joseph and were able to observe the difference in the behavior of the students. The St. Joseph's middle school students were polite, well spoken, very helpful and wonderful with the younger kids. We moved our daughter to St. Joseph and spent the last 8 years at the school. We wondered if our two kids were getting a quality education, we believed the curriculum and teaching were comparable to public school, but weren't sure until our daughter attended St. Francis. St. Francis is known as a very difficult school. My daughter made honor roll. Now we know our choice to educate our children at St. Joseph paid off in theidevelopment of thier person, their high self esteem, as well as their education. We have happy well rounded children who are successful in school. And yes, they are both teenagers and very pleasant. We believe the end result is what counts.

Posted May 24, 2013

My wife and I had originally not considered St. Joseph as one of our choices for our children. However, our discussions with a few local long-time high school administrators not only put it in the running, they encouraged us to make an extra effort to send our children to SJS, if possible. The graduates are well-regarded and do well in all aspects of the local public high schools. Upon enrolling our children, we were amazed at the interaction between students of different grades, that the children all knew each other and the older students acted appropriately in their every interaction with the younger students. We've been very happy with the academics so far, the teachers are always available and grades are posted promptly on the parent portal. (even quizzes & homework scores!). There is an updated Strategic Plan for all of the diocese schools http://www.csdsac.org/ We especially like this excerpt: "Each school and student will be evaluated every quarter to make sure all students are academically proficient in all subjects and that each student is maximizing his or her full potential. In cases where they are not, teachers will adjust their instruction quickly and as necessary."

Posted May 22, 2013

My experience with St Joseph's school has been wonderful. I have 2 children, they both started in Pre-school. My daughter is now in 10th grade at St Francis. My son will be in 5th grade. The school is like family. The teachers, principal and staff are all just wonderful. The school is so welcoming, when you walk into the office....you are greeted with a smile. And know what ever you needed. It will get taken care of. St Joseph's Catholic School is awesome and a great place to learn.

Posted May 14, 2013

Disappointed. That one word describes our recent experience at this school. Disappointed the Principal did not to validate our serious concerns. Disappointed math, science and computer technology programs are not challenging, especially for the upper grade students. Disappointed my child complained about classroom and playground behavior that went unchecked. Disappointed at the lack of communication from the Principal (to be fair, I think the teachers do their best but I am guessing they don't receive good communication from the Principal either because sometimes the messages seems to conflict). Of course we wish the best for friends that remain at the school, but we simply cannot continue to pay for a curriculum and environment that is not helping our children become the best they can be. As another reviewer suggested, we might end up going outside Auburn to find a better fit.

Posted May 9, 2013

I just had to write today because I am so thrilled with our move away from SJCS and I want parents looking for schools to know there is more out there. We never thought we would leave a small, Catholic school environment, even knowing academics weren't the best. There are many reasons a school is a good fit and obviously this changes family to family. For the most part we liked the families and the parent involvement. But when it became glaring that the academics were not where they should be and it seemed the teachers and Principal really were not a TEAM working together with the same goals and objectives (and I was warned of poor academics before we went to SJCS by another teacher!), we did move to a different school this year after being at SJCS for a number of years. My child has told me numerous times this past year how much more he is learning at his new school. He said there was a lot of free time at SJCS and the expectations are higher at his new school. He says the students are better behaved at his new public school! We get excellent communication from teachers and administration. We are extremely happy with the change.

Posted April 29, 2013

At Saint Joseph's your kids will learn and grow academically, ethically and personally. If your looking for strong academics in a safe community where a strong moral compass and parental involvement is apart of daily life you will love SJCS. We have two boys both very different learning styles and personalities; they both excel and have areas of improvement just like most kids. The teachers are insightful, informative, approachable and responsive. Academics are above standard, I love the online portal so both my wife and I are are always aware and up to speed on daily classroom life and homework, great for accountability! I went to public schools where my parents were not very hands on, my study habits where not what I want for my kids either so I chose to invest in my kids education early because these are the most influential days in their life. I am thrilled when our eldest is angry at us he can't wait to get out of the house and go to college :) The bar of student expectation is high, if you don't like being an involved parent, SJCS is not for you. SJCS has helped my young family learn to be better together. Worth stopping by and talking to teachers, parents and students.

Posted April 25, 2013

I guess like many schools, some teachers require strick discipline in the classroom and others have absolutely no control. In our experience the classes (and there is only one class per grade) our children have been in are up, out of their seats, disruptive and not held to high standards as far as respectful classroom behavior is concerned. Or maybe the expectations are there, but the consequences are not consistenly implemented. In our experience the upper grades could benefit greatly from having specialized Math and Science teachers. The principal is leaving at the end of this school year, so perhaps there is reason to be hopeful, but that means next year will be the FOURTH principal this school has had in 6 years and I believe that is part of the problem. How can there possibly be consistent high expectations without a exceptional administator in place? I guess if you're looking for an "average" school, this is ok, particularly for the area, but we're considering moving out of the area precisely because the education options are pretty dismal.

Posted March 6, 2013

Great K-8 School and Environment for my kids! Impressed with the academics, teachers, and parent involvement!

Posted March 5, 2013

With two children at different grade levels and with one child entering Kindergarten next year- as a family we enjoy every minute of this school environment! As a parent that goes to this school, we all have our right to our opinions, however it is alarming to the lengths of what people will state. In looking at the reviews I even question if some of those parents actually went to the school. Maybe they did or didn t. With that being said- at the school where my kids currently attend- Bullying of any kind is not tolerated at the school, that is a well-known fact. Academics are top-notch and the additional learning opportunities provided are a breath of fresh air! Parents are consistently well informed and always encouraged to communicate directly with the front office. The students are in a safe place, but they are expected to meet high expectations.

Posted October 5, 2012

I love this school! Mrs. Donaldson is Awesome! Truly caring of the students and their needs. The computer lab is fully updated and the standards are high. I pulled my children from public education because the concentration is reading writing and math only. My children have a dedicated science teacher (grades 4-8) and social studies, in addition to reading, writing and Math. My son is very squirrly and the after school tutoring and homework center has realy helped. Because the class sizes are small, I feel that my children receive the attention that they need. I know that there have been issues in the past but this school is truly on the right track and has a great family atmosphere.

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Art teacher(s)
Computer specialist(s)
Gardening teacher(s)
Instructional aide(s)/coach(es)
Librarian/media specialist(s)
Math specialist(s)
Music teacher(s)
PE instructor(s)
Poetry/Creative writing teacher(s)
Priest, pastor, or other religious personnel
Reading specialist(s)
School psychologist
Teacher aid/assistant teacher
Tutor(s)
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by a school official.

Special education / special needs

Level of special education programming offered
  • None - the school offers no services
  • Differentiated learning programs

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer specialist(s)
  • Math specialist(s)
  • Computer lab
  • Outdoor learning lab
  • Science lab

Arts & music

• Art teacher(s)
  • Music teacher(s)
  • Poetry/Creative writing teacher(s)
  • Art room

• School psychologist
  • Access to sports fields
  • Gym
  • Kitchen
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")

Gifted & talented

• Acceleration

School start time
  • 8:00 am
School end time
  • 3:00 pm
Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • Before school: starts at 7:30 a.m.
  • After school: ends at 5:30 a.m.
  • Mr. Christopher Nelson
Best ways for parents to contact the school
  • Phone
Age at which early childhood or Pre-K program begins
  • 3 years old
  • Coed
Is there an application process?
Affiliation
  • Catholic
Associations
  • NCEA
Fax number
  • (530) 885-0182

Instructional and/or curriculum models used

• Core knowledge
  • Standards-based
  • Western Catholic Educational Association
Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Religious
Bi-lingual or language immersion programs offered

Level of special education programming offered

• Librarian/media specialist(s)
  • Math specialist(s)
  • Music teacher(s)
  • PE instructor(s)
  • Poetry/Creative writing teacher(s)
  • Priest, pastor, or other religious personnel
  • Reading specialist(s)
  • Gym
  • Internet access
  • Kitchen
  • Library
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")
  • Outdoor learning lab

School culture

Dress Code
  • Uniforms
Bullying policy
  • This school has a bullying and/or cyber bullying policy in place.
  • Attend parent nights
  • Chaperone school trips
  • Coach sports teams or extracurricular activities
  • Join PTO/PTA
  • Monitor the playground
  • Organize cultural events
  • Organize fundraising events (school auction, bake sales, etc.)
  • Present special topics during curricular units
  • Serve on school improvement team or governance council
  • Tutor