PK-8|Private

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (2 responses)

St. Joseph Catholic School offers a values-based education in the context of a connected and caring community of students, parents, staff, faculty, and administration. The school has passed all accreditation standards, hires qualified and credentialed teachers, and is heralded for the low pupil/teacher ratio and its resultant heightened contact for each student in the classroom. The principal holds undergraduate and graduate degrees specializing in early childhood development, and works closely with faculty to develop general curriculum and, as appropriate, student-specific individual educational programs. The Auburn community is fortunate to have SJCS as a viable choice for parents interested in an active, growing, school for K-8 (and even an excellent Preschool for the little ones, allowing parents to return to work as soon as their toddlers are ready!)

I have 2 students at St. Joseph Catholic School. They have attended SJCS since preschool. St. Joseph Catholic School is a faith-filled learning community. The principal, teachers, and staff are welcoming, compassionate and caring. There is a high level of achievement and academic opportunities offered at SJCS. There is no other school that I would have my children attend!

I urge all parents to do your homework on what I believe to be a poor standard of education at this school. The level of academics is sub-par. They do not have proper languages and the “Spanish” class is taught by a woman who does not know the Spanish language but does speak Portuguese. Many of the teachers are not accredited nor do they posses a degree. The staff at St. Josephs will tell all potential paying parents that the children come first. State Average test scores for the entire school are low.

Supports LD students: Strongly agree

There are a few select students who get special after school tutoring. If you are not liked as a parent or you are not a favorite of the staff, your child will not be able to join in these special "educational tutoring times" .

Effective school leaders: Strongly agree

This is a Catholic school and the teachers, principal and staff should be held to a higher standard. The principal is inexperienced and her staff is unprofessional. Apart from the fact that the teachers are limited on there skills and education, the principal will not be honest about this. Dishonesty is a sign of poor leadership.

Develops character: Strongly agree

My child has been subjected to lies and manipulation. The staff and principal have no problem telling a lie to be effective in there agendas. This is a Catholic school and the teachers, principal and staff should be held to a higher standard. The principal is inexperienced and her staff is unprofessional.

Teacher effectiveness: Disagree

This school has 3 very good teachers who genuinely care about the child's education and growth. Good luck getting one of them for your child. The management of this school is severely lacking.

I also have students in multiple grades and I am in love with this school! The teachers are caring and tough and the principal is making wonderful changes by hiring more challenging teachers who are on the cutting-edge of curriculum! I understand that this school is not for everyone if you don't your child to have age-appropriate homework that he/she will be accountable for...Also, a few parents have left because they were bullying a teacher and other parents and the administration did not stand for it! This is what I love about private schools! You can get rid of the problems! Also, enrollment has steadily increased in the past 2 years, so I'm not sure what a previous poster is speaking to! Check your facts! I know I do because I have kids in multiple grades and I am a teacher (at another school) myself- I have very high (sometimes unreasonable) standards.

This is our second year at SJCS and we have three kids at all different grade levels. The staff is wonderful with caring teachers, while the principal has clear and concise plans for the future direction of the school. Every time I mention that my kids go to this school, people within the community at large always mention how great it is. I understand that SJCS is not for everyone. So if you are new family thinking about going- academics are tough, expectations are high, it is a loving and nurturing school, however there is accountability and responsibility involved!

I m not one who usually writes reviews, unless it s positive. However, I recently came across Great! Schools while doing preliminary searches on alternate school placement for my children and feel it is important to share our experiences for new families considering SJCS. We initially came to SJCS as it offered a loving and supportive environment while providing an excellent faith based education. What once was appears to be no more. Our experiences over the past year now have us believing that the leadership at SJSC is more concerned with appearances than with substance. The environment now feels toxic. Bullying has become an issue and many parents seem disgruntled. It saddens me that I no longer feel SJCS is a good fit for our children, but we can no longer tolerate the questionable decisions being made by the principal. Our concerns have been voiced appropriately and ignored. I struggled with the idea of leaving, however, it almost feels like we are being pushed out. One has to look no farther than the precipitous decline in enrollment form last year to see that there is a problem at SJSC. There are still some excellent teachers at SJCS. Hopefully they can turn it around.

Last modified St. Joseph Catholic School is a Private school that serves grades PK-8