Auburn, CA
Before care: Yes

Posted November 12, 2014
This is our second year at SJCS and we have three kids at all different grade levels. The staff is wonderful with caring teachers, while the principal has clear and concise plans for the future direction of the school. Every time I mention that my kids go to this school, people within the community at large always mention how great it is. I understand that SJCS is not for everyone. So if you are new family thinking about going- academics are tough, expectations are high, it is a loving and nurturing school, however there is accountability and responsibility involved!

Posted November 09, 2014
I m not one who usually writes reviews, unless it s positive. However, I recently came across Great! Schools while doing preliminary searches on alternate school placement for my children and feel it is important to share our experiences for new families considering SJCS. We initially came to SJCS as it offered a loving and supportive environment while providing an excellent faith based education. What once was appears to be no more. Our experiences over the past year now have us believing that the leadership at SJSC is more concerned with appearances than with substance. The environment now feels toxic. Bullying has become an issue and many parents seem disgruntled. It saddens me that I no longer feel SJCS is a good fit for our children, but we can no longer tolerate the questionable decisions being made by the principal. Our concerns have been voiced appropriately and ignored. I struggled with the idea of leaving, however, it almost feels like we are being pushed out. One has to look no farther than the precipitous decline in enrollment form last year to see that there is a problem at SJSC. There are still some excellent teachers at SJCS. Hopefully they can turn it around.

Posted October 16, 2014
St. Joseph is an excellent school! I have had 4 students graduate--2 of them went to Catholic high school and 2 of them went to public high school. ALL of them got As and Bs in high school. The teachers there are excellent. The new principal is innovative and wants to see school succeed. However, it is a commitment of time and money--not like the public schools. It is also a small community that has pros and cons also. I am very happy my children were able to attend!

Posted June 08, 2014
I thought things would get better with the new principal but they haven't. The people at this school are very cliquish and parents bully each other. The faculty seem to favor some families over others. Unfortunately this has caused a lot of pain for my poor little girl.

Posted May 13, 2014
We did our own research, toured and decided that this was the best place and learning environment for our children. This was our first year and we consider SJCS a home away from home for our children and family. Tour the school and other schools around; ask your own questions before you decide what is right for your family. We choose SJCS for these reasons- strong education and community- and it has been GREAT!

Posted April 02, 2014
With an excellent new principal and a wonderful new 8th grade teacher on board this year, this school gets better and better. Academics and extra curricular activities, our children build a great foundation for their high school experience.

Posted March 21, 2014
I am astonished by recent reviews. The 5 star reviews must be written by administrators or parents who have known of no other school than SJCS. I know for a fact there are many families who have left SJCS due to weak curriculum, poor classroom behavior, a lack of attention to how cruel students are to one another, and a lack of strong upper grade teachers. Going to Mass once a week and having daily religion class does guarantee students will treat one another with respect and compassion. My children attended SJCS for a number of years. They say the school they are at now is a "10" and SJCS was a "3." When I asked why such a low rating for SJCS, they said compared to where they are now, SJCS was unorganized, the teachers weren't as good as the ones they have now, and the students were mean to one another. They often witnessed students being cruel to one another (shouldn't there by higher expectations at a parochial school?), the after-school daycare program was a joke (nothing structured, students using cell phones, on YouTube, jokes of a sexual nature being told on the playground, and nothing being taken seriously when concerns raised). Do your research. You can do better.
3 people found this helpful

Posted January 22, 2014
As Catholic School s week approaches, we recall our reason for sending our children to St. Joseph Catholic School (SJCS). We believed in the value of a faith-based education. Developing the students Catholic identity is a priority for SJCS. The students study religion and prepare for their Sacraments. They study and celebrate the holidays. They attend mass on Wednesdays. Each week a class serves the mass. Through this on-going process, students are able to hone their public speaking skills and experience service in a very significant way. The student mass is a special experience to share and discuss at home. These activities have helped to provide our children with a foundation of faith. The true value of their faith-based education has been particularly evident when life takes an unexpected turn. We ve experienced the illness and loss of family and friends. Through these trials, our children have prayed with their teachers and classmates, made cards and other prayerful gifts. They ve learned the important role that they can play in people s lives when things go wrong. We are eternally grateful for the life-long gift of faith that Catholic education that has given to our kids.

Posted January 14, 2014
This school is amazing!!! ALL the teachers are credentialed and highly qualified including the upper grades! I would not send my child to any other school. Unfortunately there has been some turn over in the last few years but this happens everywhere. The staff at St Joseph's is loving, caring, compassionate and overly qualified. If you want your child to have a exceptional education in a loving environment, this is the school!

Posted January 10, 2014
This is an amazing school. My son, who is a little more academic and shy, has really flourished and come out of his shell at this school. He is academically challenged every day, making so many friends, and is really getting involved in extracurriculars. BTW: I have checked on the credentials and masters of the teachers in this school because I am quite particular, and each teacher is more than qualified and goes above and beyond for each child. The new principal is amazing, faith-filled, and enthusiastic while being very sensitive to the needs of the parents and community. I cannot speak more highly of a school after the experience we have had!

St. Joseph Catholic School
11610 Atwood Road, Auburn, CA  95603
Last modified St. Joseph Catholic School is a Private school that serves grades PK-8
St. Joseph Catholic School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 38 reviews. Top