Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Just right (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Effective (1 response)

Columbia Elementary School 3

Posted January 12, 2016
Although we have great teachers who love their students and want each child to succeed, the test scores don't reflect this. I'm very disappointed. I know we've gone from No Child Left Behind to Common Core, which has been difficult for teachers, students, and even parents.  However, I'm hoping since we have transitioned to Common Core, grades as a whole will soon reflect the changes. One thing I've found at this school is a lack of leadership.  Even though the principal is well liked, I feel as if he isn't doing his job well.  I have seen many instances personally and generally that have made me question his abilities. I've been told that he'll be retiring this year, however, I am not looking forward to finding out who will replace him.  Because I know of a few candidates, I am hoping applicants outside the district will apply and will be equally considered. I know that customer service is lacking in all business types, but I think the office staff here at this school doesn't realize that customer service is important even in schools!  When a parent walks in, they are not greeted.  In fact, they are completely ignored.  This worries me because someone can walk through the door, onto campus, and they would never know who it was!  This HAS to be changed for the safety of all on campus, especially my children! Supposedly, this is the Best District in Bakersfield. I have been to more than half the schools within the district and I have not found that statement to be true.  Nothing I have seen has been exemplary and constitutes the district the title of &Best District in Bakersfield&.  I am not sure the Superintendent of the District is aware of any of my concerns.  It has been addressed to the principal, but gotten nowhere. I'm afraid to bring any of it up in fear of backlash and negative treatment towards my family.  That's why I decided to express my concerns here; in hopes someone will see it and something will be done. Although there are great positives about the school, the negatives outweigh them.  I know each school isn't perfect, that is why my children will stay.  As a family, we just trudge on.  We make the best of everything.  We continue to support our children in all they do and cultivate a love and respect for education.  We know they will be successful not because of the school they attend, but because they have very supportive parents!

Amount of homework: Just right

Posted January 07, 2016
It varies with each teacher. Some teachers give more and expect more. But, no matter how much or how little homework my children receive doesn't matter to me. What matters is they try their best, we do everything at home to educate them as well, and their grades reflect their efforts. I expect nothing but the best out of them and that's what I get from them. We are a very supportive family with high expectations. Our children know this and succeed in all they do!

Develops respect: Agree

Posted January 07, 2016
School and classroom rules support this and the continued motto of Hands, Hearts, and Minds.

Develops empathy: Strongly agree

Posted January 07, 2016
The motto for this school is Hands, Hearts, Minds. They teach the children to use their hands to help others. We have done several things to help families within and outside of the school. We've had a few children diagnosed and still battling cancer where we have done fundraisers for them. We collect food for the needy. We have a toy drive. We collect money for needy families. We do all sorts of things to teach the students the importance of caring for others. They teach the students love not just those in need, but to use their hearts to love everyone. To love their teachers, families, school mates, and everyone. They teach the students to use their minds to think, to learn, to grow academically. This motto has been the best thing for the school. I wish it would flow over onto all who work there. That they would be the examples to the student and family. To walk the walk and not just talk the talk.

Posted January 28, 2014
AWESOME! Best school in Bakersfield, the principal loves all the kids and knows most by name. The principal and teachers are very involved in school functions and truly want all kids to succeed!

Posted April 09, 2012
My kids are in thier second year at Columbia and we love it! The teachers and staff are amazing!!! One of my children has had some learning difficulties and the principal, spec ed team, speech teacher, etc have gone above and beyond to make sure he gets the help that he needs!!

Posted December 05, 2010
I have my daughter for the second year at Columbia and cannot be happier with it. I love the possibility to be involved as a volunteer and both year this was really encouraged by the teachers. What I see every week when I go is a great group of skilled teachers taking great care of the kids, a principal talking with the kids during recess, and another bunch of parents helping around. Academically is excellent, but she also gets to learn how to be compassionate, gentle, strong and healthy. I truly recommend Columbia to anybody and I can t wait for my other 2 kids to start K in this great school.

Posted June 11, 2009
My daughter attends Columbia. The school is awesome. The teachers are great and really push the children to exceed thier goals. Mr Jager is the Principal, I have never seen a prinipal who interacts with the children and thier families as he does. Columbia is wonderful I would recommend it to everyone!

Posted August 17, 2008
I have 2 kids that went k-6 at Columbia. The incredible support from the top on down made the difference in my kids being the success that they now are. My daughter just graduated high school and was ranked #4 in her class with a 4.45. This is due in a very large part to the wonderful, giving, and dedicated staff at Columbia. Thank you... from the bottom of my heart!!

Posted July 06, 2007
Columbia Elementary is an amazing school in every way. Our principal is a moral and compassionate person who sets high standards for himself, staff and students and makes himself available to anyone with concerns. The entire staff is dedicated to every child on campus and this often means extra time given for extra help, after-school clubs, our carnival or other activities. We've had only excellent experiences for the past five years. There is much parent/family participation in and out of the classroom and in fact we feel a part of the entire Columbia/Fruitvale family. We absolutely would (and do) recommend Columbia to everyone looking for an excellent educational experience for their child.

703 Mondavi Way, Bakersfield, CA  93312-4356
Last modified Columbia Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-6. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 6 out of 10 based on academic quality.