Posted September 05, 2014
We recently had to relocate, AWAY from Discovery. We miss it, it was a wonderful school experience. My daughter attended 1st-6th grade, and my son just finished kindergarten with Mrs. Horn. They both excelled academically and socially. Kids are taught from day 1 about building strong character, and bullying is not tolerated. For the most part, all the kids are genuinely good kids. Every teacher we had was outstanding. Mr. Kelly and Mrs. Ollinger were terrific. The office staff was friendly and helpful. Everyone exceeded our expectations. I would highly recommend this school. We just completed our first week at our new schools, and so far so good, but Discovery set the bar very high.

Discovery Elementary School 4

Posted May 31, 2014
We moved to Bakersfield 2 years ago. We found a safe community in the North West. Our kids pertain to Discovery Elementary. Enrolling them was difficult. The first year was very difficult for my kids too. They previously attended schools that were failing. At the end of the year two of my kids were recommended for retention... The teacher said that if they were in a different district they may have been fine, but since their standards were so high they were not meeting their requirements. I declined their suggestions, instead we worked with our children extra and payed for tutoring. Our 4rd grader showed a dramatic improvement this year. Our 2nd grader is still struggling. I don't want to discourage any one from coming to this school, but please don't enroll your child in this school unless you are willing to put in the hours, helping your child with homework and research projects. Or your child will become held back, discouraged and unmotivated. Stay away from combo classrooms.

Posted August 02, 2013
I went to this school and it is amazing! They helped me get better in math, science, reading, and history! Everyone and the staff is nice! They have fun trips and activities! The principal is very kind and helps with any dramam problems if there is one. The teachers make learning more fun! Mrs.Gregg is the best 5th grade teacher i've ever had! The staff always makes sure there is no fighting on campus. Love love love this school! This is the best school to go to!

Posted September 21, 2010
Discovery Elementary School is one of the best schools in the area you could hope to send your kids to. The faculty and staff truly care about their students and making sure they receive the best education they can offer in these formative years. That is what good teaching is all about.

Discovery Elementary School 0

Posted September 21, 2010
They have a strong emphasis on math and science.

Discovery Elementary School 4

Posted April 05, 2010
My 4 children attend Discovery and have for 2 years academically this school is above average, my children enjoy thier classes and have many friends. My only problem is they seem to have very strict policies on behavior, and not enough positive reinforcement for good behavior. I find that the office staff is sometimes ill mannered and will be to busy gossiping rather than paying attention to parents or students in the office.

Posted April 05, 2010

Posted November 20, 2009

Discovery Elementary School 0

Posted September 15, 2009
My son and daughter go to Discovery, and they love it. My son just started and he is in kindergarten and three weeks into school he can read 22 words and three books. And my daughter is learning to write in cursive, and she loves it. This is the best school in the County. The Principal knows all the students by name and he really cares about the school and the students.

Posted June 14, 2009
I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE this school. The Principal is wonderful and is never in his office because he's out in the classes or walking around the school talking to students. As a parent he always acknowleges me and knows me by name. Wonderful man! This school awards students on many levels from Respect to great math and reading skills. I love that. We know life is more than just reading...you have to respect others and our environment. The Teachers.... WOW! My daughter is in kindergarten, but even the teachers in other grades know her by name. Other students as well. This school has put safety first, from the valet drop off in the mornings to the numbered pick up system in the afternoons. Fantastic School, teachers and staff! PTA could use a little work and more parent involement.

Discovery Elementary School
7500 Vaquero Avenue, Bakersfield, CA  93308
Last modified Discovery Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-6. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Discovery Elementary School Rating: 5 out of 5 based on 21 reviews. Top