Bakersfield, CA
Students enrolled: 1,935

Highland High School 2

Posted August 06, 2014
I have been uncomfortable with the treatment my child received at the hands of the security personnel at this school. Admin was not receptive to discussion. I have not been pleased with cooperation of some of the teacher, either. A science teacher gave a list of assignments to be completed, but kept changing it, until my child and I were both confused. Meeting with her was no help.

Highland High School 5

Posted July 11, 2009
Highland is a wonderful school with lots of school spirit! The staff is always willing to help the kids out and prepare them for what lies ahead. Our cafeteria staff is the best and makes sure the kids are eating healthy! Our sports programs are doing very well and I am very happy that my daughter attends there. She is safe and I am at peace when she is at school. Security is always doing what they can to protect our children and they care about them. The counselors are great! Highland is a great school!

Highland High School

Posted July 02, 2009
highland is a great school! before it was not and highland is not full of hoodlums!?! it truely is a great school the spirit is awesome students are very much involvled! we have great teachers and our sports have gotten way better our football team is getting really good so dont say its a bad school cause its not!

Highland High School 5

Posted August 29, 2008
Highland High is one of the best school in KHSD.Perhaps is on of the best high schools in Califron. Awesome School! Go Scots!

Posted August 15, 2008
im not much for school spirit, but the taxi driver/mailman remark struck a nerve. im entering my junior year at highland, and although i know it isnt the best high school in bakersfield, we have outstanding staff and exteracarricular activities, as well as students. and as for the sports remark. . . have you seen our football team?! you obviously have no clue what you are talking about. although, our ladies tennis team rocks! C: Go Scots.

Posted April 04, 2006
Great School, my kids learned a lot there and the teachers are very dedicated!

Highland High School 2

Posted January 13, 2006
If what you want is your child to be a truck driver, a taxi driver or a mailman than Highland High is fine. If you want your child to become a Doctor, an Attorney or an engineer look elsewhere. Many students look more like hoodlums than students. Sports seem to be the only thing going for Highland so if you child is the next Barry Bonds go for it, hopefully he won't turn into a O.J. Simpson.

Posted August 27, 2005
Everything is great. Extracurriculars rocks and academics are even better. This is a great school.

Posted May 05, 2004
10-15 years ago Highland was one of the top performing academic schools in Kern County and California. That was before the Kern High School District carved the school boundaries in the early and mid 1990's. The actual area surrounding Highland has been cut into by poorer performing schools at Highland's expense. Two seperate neighborhoods no where near Highland have students bused into Highland. I am really upset as an Alumni at the road Highland has undertaken due to the KHSD's unfair boundaries. The school and neighborhood pride that was once predominate is gone and has been taken over by apathy. There was once a pride in our spirit of fair play, sportsmanship, and academic progress. That obviously is gone. Highland is no longer a neighborhood high school, it's now just a pawn in the political agenda of the Kern High School District.

Posted January 27, 2004
I have been very impressed that several of my daughter's teachers and other staff have put extra effort into classroom and all school special programs to help students understand and learn from behavior of some students that led to the death of one student, and with less drastic mistakes of other students that led to their being teenage parents. I have also been impressed with the time and commitment of other teachers given to the athletic activities of the students.

Highland High School
2900 Royal Scots Way, Bakersfield, CA  93306
Last modified Highland High School is a Public school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 5 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Highland High School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 15 reviews. Top