Bad
Good

I don't agree with other comments about the school being terrible, the lunch is completely different now. The food no longer comes in preheated packages, they DO have awards and only for older kids. Kinder gets none so don't know why someone would comment that. They do however have limited communication with parents but it also depends on your teacher. The ones my kids have had always emailed me about important info I needed to know, also keep in mind that this school isn't 100% government funded. This limits the amount of activities for the kids, but lately some of the teachers have done a great job of getting individual grants for field trips. Overall it's a good school and if you want more activities then volunteer your time to help out with events and alway participate in all fundraisers. In my opinion school is for learning and this school is doing a good job at teaching kids.

Terrible overall. Teacher forgot my daughter in the computer lab, no programs, and they lack enthusiasm. My daughter is ahead academically and they do not supplement her with anything she needs, even after meeting with the teacher and principle.

My son has been at Suburu since kindergarten and now he is a 5th grader the staff is amazing extremely helpful when help is needed the teachers are all Amazing they have all pushed my son all 5 years that he has attended maybe that's why he is a A straight student and exceeds to the highest level!! I strongly recommend this school to everyone who may be in our district or contemplating having their child attend!!!

If you are a looking for an academically challenging school for your child, this is definetly not it! If your child is at all ahead of their grade level do not count on this school to take any initiative. They treat every child the same, and the only children that do get recognition, are the children that are lacking. There is no communication between faculty and parents, unless the parent attempts to speak with the teacher. The school does not have assemblies, at all. No awards. No recognition, until maybe the end of the school year, and only then... its for the Kindergartners. The teachers do not communicate with the parents until there is a problem. This school is so bland and boring. And the PTC sucks. The school earns money, but it is hardly seen back into the school. Only 2 schools in this school district, and there is no money for any type of events for families. Other then the fundraising events... meaning you are paying $$$$ for everything. Even after all the donations and fundraising your have already done! -- From a very involved mom

Donald E. Suburu is the worst Schooldon't send your kids here if you don't have to. People in office Are rude If I can give the school 0 stars I would

I have two children at this school and I have mixed emotions. The academics are good but there are other things that are worrisome. There is a lack of communication between the office/principal and the parents. Parents literally find out about drug/alcohol, bully, and "body parts/function" topic assemblies through their kids mouths. And if your child doesn't talk to you then you wouldn't know. You are not given a choice on if your child will be part of that teaching or not. There is definite lack of communication about up coming events/awards assemblies/PTC activities, etc. It appears as if the principal is either overwhelmed or super controlling on how much information goes out. There were several break-ins at the school which were shown on the news and once the suspects were caught was when word went home. My teachers are great and are doing a good job given the lack of school supplies and aid help (which is the normal situation given the economy). Overall the parent participation is kinda lacking and needs a good beefing up. But the office staff and principal are not happy you are there. It's almost like there is lots of secrets kept from the parents.

We moved to this neighborhood a year ago from another Bakersfield district, and Suburu is a vast improvement over where we came from. Both of my children excelled and were challenged. New leadership is moving the school forward in a positive direction. The teachers are very competent and understanding of the needs of individual students. I'm happy to have my kids enrolled here.

There are some very caring teachers at this school; however, the school leadership is not competent. It seems like their motto is punish first, ask questions later. An embarassment to the school.

I sent my 2 children to this school for a yr. and a half, and the teachers are very nice. However, The lunch is gross, my kids took cold lunch.The craziness to pick up and drop off your kids is insane!!! And when I switched them to another school within the city, they were behind. Not to mention my son went to that school so outgoing and friendly, the kids at that school changed him. They were so mean. I would never put my kids back in this school.

our daughter completed her kindergarten year there and had the best time ever. Everyday she was ready and prepared for school.

Last modified Donald E. Suburu School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 5 out of 10 based on academic quality.