Bakersfield, CA

Wayne Van Horn Elementary School 4

Posted July 18, 2014
The principle at this school is the best by far. He is always going above and beyond to help any way he can. My son started there in 2012 in TK, originally supposed to be in K1 but after seeing his behavior the first day we decided it was best to start him in TK. From the very first day I felt like family and that the staff truly cared about my son as if he were their own. By the end of the yr you could tell he advanced far due to the supportive and caring staff and couldn't wait to go back the next year. I will definitely be sad he will no longer be attending this yr due to our move, I will always compare every school and staff to those at Van Horn and I don't think anyone will measure up. Thank you Mr. Lopez and staff for all you have done and all of your hard work. We will deeply miss you.

Wayne Van Horn Elementary School 5

Posted August 04, 2013
I POSTED A REVIEW BACK IN 2011 WHEN MY SON WAS IN KINDERGARDEN NOW I HAVE TWO KIDS AT THIS SCHOOL, AND I STILL FEEL THE SAME I DID BACK THEN. LOVE EVERYTHING ABOUT IT.

Wayne Van Horn Elementary School 5

Posted September 05, 2012
My son started Kindergarten this year (Late Registration) and was assessed in the first week. It was recommended that he enter the Transitional Kindergarten, which I am okay with. I know my son has some behavioral issues due to Lack of Discipline at the daycare he attended for the last 3 years. Where he does NOT act up at home, I KNOW he does whn away from me, sa I started performing unannounced visits and was appalled at what they'd been letting my son get away with AND NOT Telling Me when I asked How He Was that day (EVERYDAY!) I have met with the TK and K1(?) teachers and the Vice Principal and Principal; this is only the 12th School Day!! They seem to be Very Attentive to the children's needs, and I'd have to say if someone feels there is somethig "Missing", they may need to look either in the mirror or, posssibly, at their own child. So Far I am THRILLED with Van Horn!

Wayne Van Horn Elementary School 0

Posted January 11, 2010
I'm a parent of four students, which only two remain in Van Horn, 4TH and 5TH graders. I live on the SW area, I love Van Horn because I think most of the teachers are great. My children have always been in the principal's list. I use to be very involved in their education, but they are older now so I go once in a while, but I do keep in touch with their teachers. I believe that everything start at home. I want to take this time to Thank all the teacher at Van horn for all their patience and hard work

Wayne Van Horn Elementary School 0

Posted September 07, 2009
Im a parent of a new student in 4th grade . My daughter attended Downtown Elementary and I was extremely happy with the curriculum and teachers at this school. Parent involvement is wonderful; which makes me VERY concerned with the reviews for Van Horn, unfortunately I had to change take her out of Downtown where she has been attendig since Kindergarten. I hope that the reviews for Van Horn are not what they are saying. Im concerned for my daughter's education.

Posted June 24, 2009
I had 2 children in this school during 2008-2009. While I liked the teachers, the curriculum for kindergarten was an absolute repeat of what my child had already learned in the preschool I paid $120/mo for the previous year. The school days were ridiculously short (4hrs) for a school with so many children who were behind educationally compared to other schools in the city. Kindergarten staff was frustrated by this also. My child had a good teacher with much experience, but my child was bored intellectually and expressed this often. When I approached the administration with the fact that Discovery school and others in town had a k/1 program/long day, they didn't seem to see the need for this. While the staff was caring and pleasant to deal with and I liked the teachers, this school must step up and allow smarter students to learn.

Posted January 04, 2008

Posted June 26, 2007
My two older children attended Van Horn From k-6 and the school was great. A lot of good teachers have left and other teachers have sent their kids to private schools. I am disappointed with the schools score of 4. My child will not go to Van horn next year. My husband and I have always been involved in our kids education. We do not feel as if Van horn is educating our youngest child to her full potential. There are to many kids whose parents do not participate in their childs education. When they do show up for a field trip or program they are dressed very skimpy and their kids are out of control. Mr. Johnson does not support parents when they have a problem with a teacher. The kids here can't even hang out with more than 5 kids in a group. They can't even play tag.

Wayne Van Horn Elementary School 3

Posted May 26, 2007
My child currently attends Van Horn School. I love her teacher she is wonderful. I must say it's the parents and the kids in the school that worry me. Parents are using words like pissed off in front of kids on field trips. The kids are out of control and could use some discipline. My child will not return next year. I have decided to send my child to a private school. As far as curriculum the private school is way ahead of public school. The classes are very organized and teachers do not have to stop to deal with disruptive students.

Wayne Van Horn Elementary School 4

Posted May 15, 2007
The teachers and staff at Van Horn make every effort to provide a quality education. Those students that receive parental support will have success at any school. The principal makes every effort to provide additional programs for the students. The level of parent involvement is poor. There are a few very hardworking supportive parents. This school could be greatly improved by increased parent involvement with their own children and homework. Many of the parents would also benefit from learning discipline strategies.

Wayne Van Horn Elementary School
5501 Kleinpell Avenue, Bakersfield, CA  93309
Last modified Wayne Van Horn Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-6. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 2 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Wayne Van Horn Elementary School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 10 reviews. Top