Bakersfield, CA
Before care: Yes

Posted August 11, 2014
Great school, very friendly love the enviroment, so glad to have my childen at wingland. Thank you

Wingland Elementary School 1

Posted May 07, 2014
The standard of education provided is very low. My daughter comes home upset everyday because she didn't understand the math lesson, and when she asks for help her teacher doesn't have time as she has a long list of other responsibilities besides teaching due to a low budget. At the beginning of this school year we attended an open house night. The AC was not functioning, the classrooms were close to 100' and infested with fire ants. We spoke to the principal and he told us it was not a big deal, the kids would be fine. We asked to send water with our children and were told that would not be necessary. Later that week the state of the classrooms made it on the local news. To my disgust the school went on to claim that the classrooms were only about 80' and said they had been providing the children with water all along. No mention was made of the fire ant infestation. The office staff are rude, unorganized, and lack proper training. Communication with the teachers is all but impossible. It has been terrible. If you have a choice, send your child to another school.

Wingland Elementary School 4

Posted August 19, 2013
This school is great. Last year they started a new teaching program that places each grade into sections based on scores. The school can better explain it than me, but it has worked out great! I love the staff and the Principal. There is very little parent involvement, maybe do to the single parent homes/low income in the area? I've never had any issues with the school, but always remember, a problem will never be solved or corrected if it is not brought to the attention of the school. Communication is always the key and the staff and teachers love that!

Wingland Elementary School 2

Posted September 30, 2011
We recently moved to Bakersfield and I have been sadly disappointed with this school so far. We are only a month and a half into the school year, but I can already tell this school does not measure up to the school my daughter attended last year at our previous town. My daughter was in all-day kindergarten where she learned to read and started beginning math. While she is progressing very well with math in 1st grade at Wingland, I am a little shocked and very disappointed to see that the kids are not expected nor were they prepared in kindergarten, to be reading by first grade. Thankfully, my daughter learned to read in her previous kindergarten class. However, I have another daughter who just started kindergarten at Wingland and they are nowhere close to teaching these kids how to read. THey are learning sight words, but there seems to be no emphasis on sounding words out and beginning grasping the concepts of beginning reading. I will be working on this with her at home, but wish they would focus more on actually reading rather than just memorizing words by SIGHT. Other comments: no many parents involved with the school; but the teachers have been outstanding so far.

Posted January 05, 2011
Great school, great staff, They really care about the students, test scores are high, several extra activities are provided for the students for extra enrichment. The PTA is awesome, helping all the students by providing field trips, assemblies, anti-bully programs, good citizens awards, and even art programs! There is a Mile-cat walking club encouraging fitness. This is the best school, you will be happy. The office staff to the principal..thumbs up.

Wingland Elementary School 2

Posted August 25, 2010
Wingland is not grade A or B school, but maybe a D. If it wasn't for a change of teacher it would have been an F. My child's first school year, She didn't like her teacher and didn't want to go to school. She said every day she was mean. So I changed her teacher and then my daughter enjoyed going after that. The office staff does need to be replaced very badly

Wingland Elementary School 1

Posted May 28, 2008
Very few good teachers at this school. The vice principal is a joke. She yells at the children instead of speaking. If you want a good school try Highland elementary instead.

Posted September 27, 2007
This is my son's first year at Wingland and I was impressed before the school year started. The employees of Wingland are dedicated to the children far beyond any expectations that I had. My son's teacher for example (Ms. Perron) works with each student to bring out the best of their abilities even if it involves after school tutoring on her own time. That kind of dedication and love for their job helps our children learn to succeed in life and should be implemented in all schools.

Posted June 07, 2007
- a former student
This school is the best. The teachers and principal are awesome. Everyone works together for the sake of the child. The teachers go far beyone what is required. The principal has an open-door policy and really listens to parental concerns.

Wingland Elementary School 3

Posted March 27, 2007
The teachers here are great for the most part,you will always have a few that just don't seem to care as much as the others.After school sports activities are awsome at wingland as well but what I think we need to focus on is improving our test scores.We need more tutoring programs,maybe some after school groups like the one Ms. Kayne was involved in last year.That helped my son to improve so much I was blown away by his improvements.

Wingland Elementary School
701 Douglas Street, Bakersfield, CA  93308
Last modified Wingland Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 3 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Wingland Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 20 reviews. Top