Ungraded|Private

Bad
Good

I really wanted to like this school and we wanted the program to work for our child however it didn't turn out that way. I had spent a few days there with my child and that was enough for me to see how the staff handles the children. Most of the "teachers" are young and and the job requires very minimal training and most of them have no experience at all. Autism is a complex disorder and not one child is the same. I think in order to be an effective teacher, you need to inform and educate yourselves about the disorder and learn how deal with different behaviours. This is what this place lacks. Although in theory they are great, but the staff who executes them does not have enough skills. Their ratio is 1:1 which is great but the place seems small for the number of kids and staff that were there. They do DTT there as part of their task but not sure if my child's aide knows what that really means cause she didn't even know what ABA means. These children deserves better school and shame that Bakersfield has only this one.

Unfortunately our experience with VAC was a negative one. We really were hoping this school would be the answer we were looking for. Although there are people with advanced degrees on staff, they are not the ones working with the children day to day. Most of the hands-on staff is very young, have only the minimum of 6 child development units, and are not college graduates. They are glorified day care workers being 'trained' on the job. The employment turn over rate seems rather high as well. My child did not respond well to the chaos created by the disorganization, the ever changing new faces, and the overall lack of understanding regarding Autism some staff members displayed. Autism is not a one-size-fits-all diagnosis. These children are individuals with quirks and eccentricities specific to them. Just because one doesn't understand a certain behavior, does not mean it should automatically be deemed a problem behavior. This community is certainly in need of a private school to serve and educate the Autistic demographic. Regretfully, this one misses the mark. (Why are the previous 6 reviews, all positive, dated within 2 days of one another? Are they legitimate?).

The staff are amazing! They are very friendly, and all know every child by name. The teachers are genuinely concerned about every student's progress toward their individual goals. We have seen a lot of progress in our child's social skills in just a few months of attending VAC.

VAC is an amazing school which not only improves the lives of their children, but their families as well. Staff works closely with families to ensure their children receive a quality services. The staff are friendly and you can truly see they have the passion to make a difference.

I have worked at Valley Achievement for 10 years now and I can honestly say that I have grown and learned so much from my experiences at Valley Achievement Center. The biggest reward for working at VAC is seeing the students grow and progress with their individual goals. If this wasn't a good program, I would have left by now.

I have worked at Valley Achievement Center for almost a year and a half. This is a great program that really wants the best for every student that attends. Each student gets the attention and support they need to succeed and everyone here is rooting for them to do so. This is a wonderful organization and I am thankful I get to be a part of it.

after school program improved my sons social skills, thanks for the wonderful people who worked with my son.

My child has attended The valley achievement center since the age of 5 when his autism was diagnosed. He has had a very good experience there and has continued to make improvements. The staff is nice and respectful. The hours and location work well with our family's schedules. The valley achievement center has been great for my child.

Good social program for autistic kids. Good staff. Very happy with my child's progress. Staff is nice and friendly to everyone. Kids are treated well and with respect.

My son has been going to Valley Achievement Center for the past 5 years and I have seen significant improvements with his socialization skills and expressing his needs and concerns. The teachers maintain a certain level of professionalism but at the same time reflect so much care and personal attention to each student and even with parents/care provider. The school maintains a very warm enviroment that is conducive to learning and also promotes good health and enviromental awareness through different programs and activities.

Last modified Valley Achievement Center is a Private school