Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Agree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (2 responses)

Thank you Mrs. Taylor for being a great chess coach for our kids. All the time and effort you invest in them is really appreciated!

Amount of homework: Agree

American does not overly inundate students with homework. They use online resources and computer lab time to complete most homework.

I am very surprised by the number of negative reviews listed on this page. American Elementary is a terrific school with great staff and administration. Child and parent participation is heavily encouraged and part of the daily life at American. Teachers make themselves available and are willing to put in the time to work with your child. Class sizes tend to be small (20-25) and does not seem overly focused on standardized testing. When I compare my child's experience with coworkers or friends who are not within the American boundaries I typically do not hear the same positive experiences. It seems some of the older reviewers may be one or two individuals who posted numerous negative reviews in an effort to reduce the overall rating. I understand that everyone experiences will not be positive, but for the most part American is top notch.

I wish all schools were as outstanding as this one. All students are supported and respected. The family is valued and parents are encouraged to be involved in their child's classroom. The curriculum is integrated and balanced with literature and informational text and students read and write in every subject, including math. There is a wonderful leadership program for the student body as well as extracurricular activities such as Chess Club, school band, and sports. I am sorry such negative experiences occurred with some of the other comments here. Those are surely not typical of those who know American Elementary School.

We LOVE American!!! This is a fantastic school! Both my children, have had wonderful teachers each year. Teachers that truly care and go the extra mile for their students! I'm blown away by the negative comments that I have read. These comments must be made by parents who spend little to no time at the school actually getting to know the staff. Children are rewarded for reaching goals set in multiply subjects as well as attendance. These assemblies are held EVERY quarter. Along with rewarding academics, they are rewarded for behavior with fun Fridays and Mustang days. So to the person saying their are no rewards?? Not sure what school you are speaking of. Our PTC is one of the best!! They spend so much time doing lots of extras for the kids... Donuts with Dad, Muffins with mom, grandparents day ice cream social, the carnival, father/daughter dance and the list goes on and on. This school cares for the kids, they are number one! That's how it should be!!

I love this school! Teachers are nice and knowledgeable, and make every effort for the children's success. The principal is very involved, something not every school can be proud of! The staff is amazing! For 6 years my children had never been bullied, and I am surprised that other parents complain about it. I have two completely different boys, one requires more attention, the other one is totally independent, but they both have academic success. I am also surprised by the parents' complain about quality of teaching. My advice is if the child struggles at school, it is also the parents' responsibility to help put that child back on track. It is not only the school to be blamed for the failure. Especially, with the upcoming Common Core changes-parents ' involvement is necessary! I am pretty sure the new standards are challenging for any school in USA, since it is a national academic change.

This school is exceptional. The teachers work exceptionally hard and the principal goes out of his way to make everyone a part of what goes on there, exemplified by the fact that he knows the names of practically all students. Comments written below by some individuals regarding the principal are completely foreign to me and to my friends who have had kids there for up to seven years. The focus of this school is on students and student learning. The Rosedale Union School District is the third highest scoring district in Kern County, and American Elementary has been the highest scoring school in that district for the past seven years. It has ranked in the top ten of all Kern County schools for the past seven years as well. Every teacher my child has had has gone out of his/her way to provide support and I simply can't say enough great things about each of them.

My child went here and while their are some amazing teachers here their are also some really bad teachers and the principal will always side with teachers and talks down to parents. If u have a a student won't be a problem but if you don't meet the cookie cut student they suffer :( I'm sad to say my son school failed him stay out of this if you can

I was disappointed to see the negative reviews for American. My Husband and I LOVE this school! We love that it has shorter days. It's not the teachers job to teach my child everything. The teacher's we have come across are great! The principle and teachers are doing a great job! The parent involvement is wonderful! I love seeing all the mom/dads around campus and in the classrooms! We are blessed to have our children at this school!!

Great school!! My daughter has been going to this school since Kinder and is now is 5th grade..I couldn't be more happier with the education she has received here. I have read some of the reviews and WOW! Doesn't sound like the school my daughter goes to.. I have been to a handful of awards assembly's since my daughter has been in Kinder they have one at the end of every quarter, that is unless your child isn't being recognized that quarter.. And they have a big Honor Roll banquet at the end of the year... I, myself am not a "rich", "stay at home" parents.. My husband and I both work full-time, our daughter is still Involved in the activities at school and other extra cuticular activities outside of school and still manages to always have her homework done and excel in school..I admit I may not do as much as one parent said " rich-stay at home" moms may do but the education, drive and push these teachers give to these students is excellent and your right they do expect nothing but the best from these students, which is what I expect from my daughter...!

Last modified American Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-6. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.