Posted September 25, 2014
We LOVE American!!! This is a fantastic school! Both my children, have had wonderful teachers each year. Teachers that truly care and go the extra mile for their students! I'm blown away by the negative comments that I have read. These comments must be made by parents who spend little to no time at the school actually getting to know the staff. Children are rewarded for reaching goals set in multiply subjects as well as attendance. These assemblies are held EVERY quarter. Along with rewarding academics, they are rewarded for behavior with fun Fridays and Mustang days. So to the person saying their are no rewards?? Not sure what school you are speaking of. Our PTC is one of the best!! They spend so much time doing lots of extras for the kids... Donuts with Dad, Muffins with mom, grandparents day ice cream social, the carnival, father/daughter dance and the list goes on and on. This school cares for the kids, they are number one! That's how it should be!!

Posted August 26, 2014
I love this school! Teachers are nice and knowledgeable, and make every effort for the children's success. The principal is very involved, something not every school can be proud of! The staff is amazing! For 6 years my children had never been bullied, and I am surprised that other parents complain about it. I have two completely different boys, one requires more attention, the other one is totally independent, but they both have academic success. I am also surprised by the parents' complain about quality of teaching. My advice is if the child struggles at school, it is also the parents' responsibility to help put that child back on track. It is not only the school to be blamed for the failure. Especially, with the upcoming Common Core changes-parents ' involvement is necessary! I am pretty sure the new standards are challenging for any school in USA, since it is a national academic change.

Posted June 29, 2014
This school is exceptional. The teachers work exceptionally hard and the principal goes out of his way to make everyone a part of what goes on there, exemplified by the fact that he knows the names of practically all students. Comments written below by some individuals regarding the principal are completely foreign to me and to my friends who have had kids there for up to seven years. The focus of this school is on students and student learning. The Rosedale Union School District is the third highest scoring district in Kern County, and American Elementary has been the highest scoring school in that district for the past seven years. It has ranked in the top ten of all Kern County schools for the past seven years as well. Every teacher my child has had has gone out of his/her way to provide support and I simply can't say enough great things about each of them.

American Elementary School 2

Posted May 21, 2014
My child went here and while their are some amazing teachers here their are also some really bad teachers and the principal will always side with teachers and talks down to parents. If u have a a student won't be a problem but if you don't meet the cookie cut student they suffer :( I'm sad to say my son school failed him stay out of this if you can

Posted December 12, 2013
I was disappointed to see the negative reviews for American. My Husband and I LOVE this school! We love that it has shorter days. It's not the teachers job to teach my child everything. The teacher's we have come across are great! The principle and teachers are doing a great job! The parent involvement is wonderful! I love seeing all the mom/dads around campus and in the classrooms! We are blessed to have our children at this school!!

American Elementary School 4

Posted October 23, 2013
Great school!! My daughter has been going to this school since Kinder and is now is 5th grade..I couldn't be more happier with the education she has received here. I have read some of the reviews and WOW! Doesn't sound like the school my daughter goes to.. I have been to a handful of awards assembly's since my daughter has been in Kinder they have one at the end of every quarter, that is unless your child isn't being recognized that quarter.. And they have a big Honor Roll banquet at the end of the year... I, myself am not a "rich", "stay at home" parents.. My husband and I both work full-time, our daughter is still Involved in the activities at school and other extra cuticular activities outside of school and still manages to always have her homework done and excel in school..I admit I may not do as much as one parent said " rich-stay at home" moms may do but the education, drive and push these teachers give to these students is excellent and your right they do expect nothing but the best from these students, which is what I expect from my daughter...!

American Elementary School 4

Posted September 04, 2013
I am confused about these reviews since I focus on state testing scores...It appears they are doing well in that area considering one opinion was that they had minimum passing requirements (I think that's the state and not the school that has low requirements) Can some one give more commentary on the curriculum and prep for testing?

Posted August 31, 2013
American Elementary School has not cut the instructional day and some of the comments below are flat out unjustified! Do your research people. If you really looked at their academic day you would realize that it is only shorter by about 30 minutes, when compared to other local school schedules, and that time has been taken from recesses, not instructional time, which by the way exceeds state requirements. Bet you didn't know that! Now, I know for some this is absolutely "horrifying," students need time to play and socialize, but these same people gripe about the lack of supervision. American has thoughtfully reduced the amount of time spent on name calling, hands-on behaviors, teasing, inappropriate conversation, and so on, that children are provided with and subjected to each day with excessive amounts of recess, and I appreciate that. If your child is only getting a 10 minute recess and a 40 minute lunch, guess what?, that's all their teacher is getting too. Anybody think about that? American does an amazing job at providing children with supervised, well thought out, physical activity each week. An extra half hour of recess each day is not on my priority list as a parent.

American Elementary School 1

Posted August 26, 2013
I was extremely disappointed in the lack of support from the staff. My child was being bullied and when brought to thier attention they ignored and denied it. The playground is poorly supervised. There is no discipline for bad behavior. My son was robbed of joy for the school year.

American Elementary School 1

Posted August 26, 2013
This school gives the bare minimum to advance your child to the next grade. I had worked with my son before hand getting him prepared for the school year. He learned more from me at home than in the classroom. We also had no programs to attend or participate in. Thanks American for the lack of pictures and memories for a milestone in my child's life.

American Elementary School
800 Verdugo, Bakersfield, CA  93312
Last modified American Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-6. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.
American Elementary School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 18 reviews. Top