Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Just right (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Very effective (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Staff member (1 response)

Grateful to: Teacher

Posted May 24, 2016
We would like to express our thanks to our child's 2nd grade teacher, Mrs. Lau. We are grateful for her during the past school year for many reasons. Since our child needs accommodations, Mrs. Lau was patient with our child and she took extra time to ensure those accommodations were met. Not only did she want to educate and teach our child, she told us in the beginning of the school year that her goal was also to make our child “be successful and feel confident.” At that moment we knew she truly cared because we wanted the same thing for our child. This joint commitment created a bond where we stayed connected throughout the entire school year where we worked together providing each other with information and feedback about our child’s academics. Since she took the time and worked with our child, he started passing tests that were challenging for him. When our child came home and said “I did it…I passed my test!” we knew we could not have asked for a better teacher. Furthermore, Mrs. Lau’s hard work and commitment to our child raised his confident level and he feels more successful. We appreciate her hard work, attention to details, commitment, positive attitude and understanding our goals for our child. We truly believe without her support our child would not be where he is today. Thank you Mrs. Lau for everything you have done for our child.

Grateful to: Staff member

Posted September 12, 2015
My positive experience with American School started the day I went to the school to enroll my daughter. My daughter started at American after the school year started. The women who work in the front office were extremely friendly and helpful. I was able to meet the following day with Principal Bray as well as her new teacher Mr. Maher. Both gentlemen took time out of their day to show my daughter and I around the school and even her new classroom. She was able to see where she was going to sit and was even able to read some of the other students profiles that where on their bulletin boards. A child changing schools after the year has started is difficult enough, this helped put my daughter at ease. So, thank you

Amount of homework: Just right

Posted September 09, 2015
American does not overly inundate students with homework. They use online resources and computer lab time to complete most homework.

Posted September 09, 2015
I am very surprised by the number of negative reviews listed on this page. American Elementary is a terrific school with great staff and administration. Child and parent participation is heavily encouraged and part of the daily life at American. Teachers make themselves available and are willing to put in the time to work with your child. Class sizes tend to be small (20-25) and does not seem overly focused on standardized testing. When I compare my child's experience with coworkers or friends who are not within the American boundaries I typically do not hear the same positive experiences. It seems some of the older reviewers may be one or two individuals who posted numerous negative reviews in an effort to reduce the overall rating. I understand that everyone experiences will not be positive, but for the most part American is top notch.

Posted February 03, 2015
I wish all schools were as outstanding as this one. All students are supported and respected. The family is valued and parents are encouraged to be involved in their child's classroom. The curriculum is integrated and balanced with literature and informational text and students read and write in every subject, including math. There is a wonderful leadership program for the student body as well as extracurricular activities such as Chess Club, school band, and sports. I am sorry such negative experiences occurred with some of the other comments here. Those are surely not typical of those who know American Elementary School.

Posted September 25, 2014
We LOVE American!!! This is a fantastic school! Both my children, have had wonderful teachers each year. Teachers that truly care and go the extra mile for their students! I'm blown away by the negative comments that I have read. These comments must be made by parents who spend little to no time at the school actually getting to know the staff. Children are rewarded for reaching goals set in multiply subjects as well as attendance. These assemblies are held EVERY quarter. Along with rewarding academics, they are rewarded for behavior with fun Fridays and Mustang days. So to the person saying their are no rewards?? Not sure what school you are speaking of. Our PTC is one of the best!! They spend so much time doing lots of extras for the kids... Donuts with Dad, Muffins with mom, grandparents day ice cream social, the carnival, father/daughter dance and the list goes on and on. This school cares for the kids, they are number one! That's how it should be!!

Posted August 26, 2014
I love this school! Teachers are nice and knowledgeable, and make every effort for the children's success. The principal is very involved, something not every school can be proud of! The staff is amazing! For 6 years my children had never been bullied, and I am surprised that other parents complain about it. I have two completely different boys, one requires more attention, the other one is totally independent, but they both have academic success. I am also surprised by the parents' complain about quality of teaching. My advice is if the child struggles at school, it is also the parents' responsibility to help put that child back on track. It is not only the school to be blamed for the failure. Especially, with the upcoming Common Core changes-parents ' involvement is necessary! I am pretty sure the new standards are challenging for any school in USA, since it is a national academic change.

Posted June 29, 2014
This school is exceptional. The teachers work exceptionally hard and the principal goes out of his way to make everyone a part of what goes on there, exemplified by the fact that he knows the names of practically all students. Comments written below by some individuals regarding the principal are completely foreign to me and to my friends who have had kids there for up to seven years. The focus of this school is on students and student learning. The Rosedale Union School District is the third highest scoring district in Kern County, and American Elementary has been the highest scoring school in that district for the past seven years. It has ranked in the top ten of all Kern County schools for the past seven years as well. Every teacher my child has had has gone out of his/her way to provide support and I simply can't say enough great things about each of them.

American Elementary School 2

Posted May 21, 2014
My child went here and while their are some amazing teachers here their are also some really bad teachers and the principal will always side with teachers and talks down to parents. If u have a a student won't be a problem but if you don't meet the cookie cut student they suffer :( I'm sad to say my son school failed him stay out of this if you can

Posted December 12, 2013
I was disappointed to see the negative reviews for American. My Husband and I LOVE this school! We love that it has shorter days. It's not the teachers job to teach my child everything. The teacher's we have come across are great! The principle and teachers are doing a great job! The parent involvement is wonderful! I love seeing all the mom/dads around campus and in the classrooms! We are blessed to have our children at this school!!

800 Verdugo, Bakersfield, CA  93312-2888
Last modified American Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-6. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.