No rating

Southland Christian Academy

Private | PK-8 | 234 students

Our school is best known for an excellent education in a christian environment.

Living in Bellflower

Situated in an inner city neighborhood. The median home value is $284,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,360.

Posted June 26, 2014

My son just finished Kinder here at SCA and I am THRILLED with this school! I can't say enough and I'm a little surprised to read a couple of the reviews here. The campus has been remodeled, they have it looking really nice, The teachers are Excellent! The office does seem busy but I appreciate they keep tuition low - I've compared it to nearby schools and this is definitely the best bang for my buck. I never had any trouble getting in touch with his teacher or the office. I would send a note in the morning, get a response the same day. Much different than my daughters school where we weren't allowed to step foot on the campus. I really appreciate the family atmosphere. My son loves going to school and I Love that!

Posted April 15, 2014

I've had my daughter in SCA for the past 2 years, she's attended pre-k and kinder here. So far the education is great, she's reading and writing in cursive and I love the teachers. SCA offers extra-curricular programs that my daughter likes however this school has major faults, not a single person in the office (principal included) returns calls or forwards messages to the teachers. I literally had to stop my daughters teacher in the street after school one day to communicate with her. The lunch program is horrible, the food sounds good on the calendar but when you actually see it, it's burned and I understood why my daughter was so hungry after school. Also the person running the lunch program is rather unprofessional but she's a church member so they take up for her. I also don't like that after school the kinders are co-mingled with the older kids. There are only 3 after-school teachers watching kinders and middle-school kids, they need more help as that's when most kids get in mess. My daughter may have 1 more year here as I here the 1st grade teachers are good but after that we'll be heading out.

Posted February 22, 2013

I'm not sure what some of these reviews are talking about- my child has been enrolled at Southland Christian Academy since preschool and is now in the 6th grade. I am SO proud of him and ALL he has learned at this school. The Principal is the pastors wife and was the Principal before the previous guy. I was So happy when she came back on full time! She is in the office everyday and I see her all the time, she is excellent and really loves the kids. They redid the computer lab this year, put a new roof on, they really keep it nice for the kdis. I am so thankful to this school because I am a single Mom and it gets hard but the school flat out says they are partners with me. I really feel like I have their help and support and together he is turning out to be a great young man. He has earned the Presidents Gold Award and A Honor roll every year since the 1st grade. I love this school and I'm so thankful they keep it affordable.

Posted October 11, 2012

Pros: Best in academics..My son learnt a lot in Preschool and selected as exceptional student category. Teachers are really good. Ms.Betty director of Preschool is amazing person. They always spend time to talk about your kids which some school lacks. Cons: Need better and safe playground for kids

Posted August 21, 2012

The school is great. My child has attended since Kindergarten and all is well. After reading reviews here I may consider withdrawing my child who is going to be in the upper grade levels this year. The parents are heavily involved. The Pastor's wife is the principal of the school and I'm not sure how many years of experience she had in school administration prior to becoming the school principal. The previous principal we would see often and heavily involved. He greeted every parent and student at the gate every morning. You rarely see this new principal except for special events.

Posted May 8, 2012

SOUTHLAND CHRISTIAN ACADEMY, where do I start preschool program great , kindergarden program great, first second and third okay fourth and up take your kid out the teachers for third and fourth are okay when my daughter was going there her third grade teacher was pregnant so always was MIA fourth grade teacher was good but I just didnt like the overall standards of the school, kids dont have a uniform code teachers and parents are not really involve, but i Got to say the preschool and kindergarden program is exepcional.

Posted April 16, 2012

SCA expanded to 8th grade so I am not sure why this site says it goes to 6th grade. My child is in the 7th grade and has attended SCA since Kingergarten I LOVE this school! The staff truly care about the kids and the kids seem to love them too. The work level seems challenging but I love watching my child work hard to succeed. The sports teams all took trophies this year and that made me proud. I can't say enough how happy my child is here- compared to area schools the price is very reasonable and I'm thankful for that.

Posted April 16, 2012

SCA is a ministry of, and owned by Desert Reign Assembly of God Downey CA. I've been the lead pastor of this wonderful congregation for 29 years. I am so proud of Southland's program and staff. Our pledge is to do all we can to provide an excellent education at the best price possible. We seek to instill a Biblical World View within the hearts of our students. While I am grateful that we have a four star rating on this site, we promise to do all we can to earn your five star favor. If at anytime you as a parent are not satisfied with our program, we would welcome your sincere and constructive criticism. Together, with God's help we will build the best Christian school in the Southland.

Posted July 21, 2011

My daughter started attending SCA this past year and I cannot believe how much she has learned so far! Before she started she seemed to really struggle, but now she enjoys going to school and doing homework. The teachers and staff are amazing and always more than helpful to both my daughter any myself. Not to mention all the fun activities they do for the kids! I can honestly say that this school and their staff are a real blessing.

Posted February 25, 2011

My child attended this school for preschool which is amazing! Now in the 2nd grade I feel it's time to take her to another school. The school has a public school atmosphere and accepts alot of "state funded students" there is not alot of parent involvement. For a private school the classes are over crowded, the teachers are to comfortable in their teaching methods. Not enough structure or Christian values enforced. The owner is now the principal. The school year started with electives twice a week which was suppose to include Spanish, Drama, Art, Choir, Drill Team, Handbells but around Christmas time it ended. No student council They don't have a library, the cafeteria & chapel are outside. They offer after school sports which is very unorganized. There is no middle school.

Posted November 8, 2010

Southland is a Preschool through 8th grade school. It has expanded recently to add 7th and 8th grade programs at the request of the parents. It is a great school and is always striving to add new and fun learning experiences. New to campus this year are electives which include Spanish, Drama, Art, Choir, Drill Team, Handbells, Student Council and Higher Achievement which provides extra one on one tutoring at no additional charge. Piano is offered once a week. Southland's sports program includes Flag Football, Basketball and I beleive Volleyball. Chapels are led by a dynamic children's leader who is awesome with puppets! The individual classes also get to lead chapel giving students a chance to develop leadership skills. Awesome program!

Posted August 17, 2008

My daughter has been with this school since preschool. I think it provides a great educational curriculum, but no other extra curriculum for which I feel, at the expense of the school, should have. There is no 'real' gym teacher, no gymasium, no cafeteria, which is terrible in winter, because the kids don't have proper shelter and often get sick from being outside in the cold. The piano teacher only comes one day a week and is too expensive for that short hour. I love the teachers from preschool through 4th grade. My daughter is now 5th and won't be returning. The education standards are excellent, but children need more than just that to excel in other areas, such as music, sportsmanship, dance, and etc. And this school has been in existence for over twenty something years. They should have more to offer than what they do, by now.
—Submitted by a student

Posted June 11, 2008

My daughter started of at the preschool & is progressing to 1st grade this fall. Though the curriculum can be a bit much (in my mind) at times it is really what the children need. My daughter made the a-honor roll which made me proud. She reads at probably a 1st or 2nd grade level and she loves books!!! Education is really stressed here. And the fact that it is a private christian school eases my mind on so many levels. I will say that not everything is perfect but overall I am satisified and impressed with how my daughter is coming along. One thing that is strange though is that when the kids had their awards ceremony every k-2nd grade student (from what I can tell) made the a or b honor roll. I don't see how this is possible.....

Posted May 9, 2008

My daughter attends Southland Christian Academy, she loves it. The teachers are professional, attentive, and consistant. My husband and I have noticed her growth in all areas.

Posted April 5, 2008

My daughter attends Southland Christian Pre-School. All of the staff is very nurturing and caring. My daughter loves going to school. They offer a great curriculum and teach good Christian values. Both my husband and I work 50-60 hour weeks so this school and the staff have been a blessing to our family.

Posted September 7, 2007

My son attends SCA. and I'm very pleased with staff. This school offers a great curriculum. Teachers are very good at applying and teaching. My son is above grade average and it is because of the great tools offered at SCA. This school has been a blessing for myself and my son. God bless.

Posted June 15, 2007

This school provides a good education and most teachers genuinely care about their students. My child attend from 1st to 6th grade. I would say the best education was provided in 1st to 4th grade. The 6th grade teaching was poor and unprofessional conduct was displayed. Parents did seem involved to a certain degree with learning. There are limited extra curricular activites.

Posted October 2, 2006

I love Southland Christian Academy. I have two daughters there. Both of my daughters are doing well and love the school and staff. I love their academy program!

Posted March 21, 2006

My daughter attends the Southland Christian Pre-School and I am very happy with the learning opportunities, the teacher and the program overall. The school uses Dr. William Kirkwood's curriculum which is a self-paced system designed to allow children to learn at their own speed level. My daughter gets individual attention with her teacher, spends the day in a very nurturing environment and participates in seasonal events coordinated by the school director Mrs. Betty! Overall, if a parent spends time to understand the program curriculum, goals and expectations, the child should be fully ready for kindergarten.

Posted February 21, 2006

I am very impressed with the academic program that this school provides. Especially for Kindergarten through 4th grade. I have two children attending this school. One in kindergarten and one in the 4th grade. My son who is in kindergarten is performing at 1st grade level. My daughter who is in the 4th grade is maintaining a B average, which does not come easy for her. This school also provides a variety of extracurricular activities such as P.E. classes, boys and girls basketball teams, girls volleyball, and piano classes. I am also impressed with the hot lunch program, counselors, and administrative staff. I believe that this school is striving to be the best.

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Art teacher(s)
Computer specialist(s)
Dance teacher(s)
Librarian/media specialist(s)
Music teacher(s)
PE instructor(s)
Priest, pastor, or other religious personnel
Robotics/Technology specialist(s)
Tutor(s)
Foreign languages spoken by school staff None
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by a school official.

Awards

Academic awards received in the past 3 years
  • Presedential Awards (2013)

Special education / special needs

Level of special education programming offered
  • None - the school offers no services

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer specialist(s)

School start time
  • 8:30 am
School end time
  • 2:30 pm
Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • Before school: starts at 6:00 a.m.
  • After school: ends at 6:00 p.m.
  • Mrs. Deborah Metcalf
Best ways for parents to contact the school
  • Phone
Age at which early childhood or Pre-K program begins
  • 2 years old
  • Coed
Boarding options
  • Day school
Is there an application process?
Affiliation
  • Assembly of God
Associations
  • AACS

Instructional and/or curriculum models used

• None
Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Religious
Bi-lingual or language immersion programs offered

Level of special education programming offered

• Computer specialist(s)
  • Librarian/media specialist(s)
  • Music teacher(s)
  • PE instructor(s)
  • Priest, pastor, or other religious personnel
  • Robotics/Technology specialist(s)
  • Tutor(s)
Foreign languages spoken by staff
Extra learning resources offered
  • Tutoring
Transportation options
  • Computer lab
  • Internet access
  • Kitchen
  • Playground
Partnerships with local resources and organizations

Sports

School culture

Dress Code
  • Uniforms
Bullying policy
  • This school has a bullying and/or cyber bullying policy in place.
  • Chaperone school trips
  • Coach sports teams or extracurricular activities
  • Organize fundraising events (school auction, bake sales, etc.)

Apply now

What are your chances?

10 out of 10students were accepted for the 2013-2014 school year.

Students accepted for the 2013-2014 school year

$4000 - $5000
Vouchers accepted
Financial aid offered

Planning ahead

Students typically attend these schools after graduating
Calvary Chapel High School