Bad
Good

Teacher effectiveness: Strongly agree

My older children had good relationships with their Teachers here and still enjoy seeing them when they visit during various events. My 10th grader received a great foundation here from Thomas Jefferson and is doing exceptionally well in math due to Mr. Moore.

Develops character: Strongly agree

The Teachers and Staff model honesty , integrity and fairness by example. My son is taught to be kind and fair during play activities and during class .

I have two children who have attended Thomas Jefferson Elementary school. My Daughter is now in the 10th grade at Mayfair High but i can honestly say that she received a great foundation at TJ that has helped her excel currently. But I am elated with the progress and exceptional changes that have been implemented since Mrs. Dominguez has been Principal. The school appears cleaner, school has received state distinguished school award and several other improvements have been made. But what stands out for me is that Mrs. Dominguez is to earth and always approachable. My child at home at Thomas Jefferson and loves going to school. this is extremely comforting to me as a parent to know that he's in a great academically enriched environment that he loves!!!!! I believe that this school is one of the best in the district!!!!

The school building is nice looking and in a nice neighborhood but the office staff and school psychologist and nurse will talk about you and your family as soon as you turn your back, very unprofessional and sad school. almost a non existent PTA the only thing they care about is that your kid is in school so they can get their money and trying to get you to sign your kids up for their special programs so that they can get more money Try Foster or ILC or better yet private school

Its terrible. According to the school my 3rd grade is reading at a 1st grade reading level. I got him tutoring even though he reads 4th grade material at home with no problem and his tutor says his vocabulary knowledge and comprehension is at 6th grade reading level. I talked to his teachers every year about his bad marks in grades and they don't try to find out what they are doing wrong or how they can help the child they assume it's the parent or the kid has ADD and let it be. But at the end of the year my son always somehow gets grade level marks to pass and then next year he's back to reading 1-2 grades behind. They don't have an open door policy and when I go sit in on my sons class to see what's going on I have a 20 minute limit. No way I'm sending my next child here.

I knew from the start that this school had the lowest score in the BUSD but because it was our home school I had no choice but to enroll my children here. For 3 years both my boys attended TJ. My children were lucky enough to have decent teachers for the most part. However, my 2nd grader went without a teacher for a little over 2 months and the school decided that they did not need to notify the parents and make them aware of the transition they were going through. Numerous times I left messages for the Assistant Principal (Mrs. Gutierrez) and I never got a call back. Finally, when I called again and actually spoke to her about my concern with my child having substitute teachers and inconsistent assignments she simply made me feel dismissed. Her own words when I asked why weren't parents made aware that they had no permanent teacher for my 2nd grader were "Well, it is what it is." A few days later I went to the school district and checked my children out. They now attend a better school in the district. I must say that i was so disappointed and upset at the lack of urgency in the leadership at TJ. There's hardly any communication between the school and parents. Not acceptable.

My son has attended Kindergarten and 1st grade at Thomas Jefferson. I was extremely unhappy with his Kidergarten teacher (Ms. Miller) She didn't seem like she had the patience for the kids and I wish she taught them alot more. This year my son has a pretty good teacher (Ms Howard) A very big difference from last years teacher. She is on top of the kids behavior. My son is a very polite kid but in her classroom even a bad move will get a color change. I appreciate the behavior control in her class. Unfortunately I only have good things to say about his teacher and not his school. I wish they did more activities for our children. Kids are only kids ONCE. I wish they involved the kids in more school activities like more field trips, PLAYS , CARNIVALS.etc..etc. So far the only thing they offer are school pride shirts and open house. Sorry Thomas Jefferson but I don't know if my son will be back for 2nd grade.

I have 3 children who all attended Thomas Jefferson for about 5 yrs all together. Sadly, I have to agree that it's not a very good school. Being that my kids were there for so long I was able to see first hand how poorly this school is run. My kids constantly complained about the teachers & office staff being mean & unfair, which I found out to be true. There is definitely a lack of enthusiasm, motivation & passion that should be present amongst the people that we entrust to educate our children. There is one teacher I will mention, Mr. Sar - he is the epitomy of teachers & an amazing role model, Thomas Jefferson is lucky to have him & definitely not worthy. I do have to disagree on one thing previously mentioned, location is key for some things not everything when it comes to education. Some schools located in the heart of the ghettos have incredible resources & teachers who are dedicated & determined to see these children make something of themselves. Maybe that has to do with the neighboorhoods they live in.

The fact that I am the first to review this school says a lot. Seems to me like the parents don't care much about where their children go to school as long as they are IN a school. That's sad to say, but most likely the truth. Anyhow, my observation thus far is that Thomas Jefferson has a lot of work to do, but so do the parents. I can't speak about all the teachers or staff,but the ones i've dealt with are inadequate (staff) and the teacher(s) mean and unenthusiastic. I understand the teachers are understaffed and are dealing with a lot, but that is no excuse for a bad attitude and yelling at our children. I only enrolled my child at Thomas Jefferson because i had to (my home school), but within one week of my child being there I asked for a transfer permit. I am patiently waiting for May 1st when the lottery drawing(s) for my child's alternate schools is drawn. I'm crossing my fingers that she gets in to one of the two i chose for here. They both get very good ratings and -after visiting them- i was really impressed. Thomas Jefferson, not so. Often worrisome and I hate to say it GHETTO. Say what u will, but location has so much to do with the quality of education. Unfortunately.

Last modified Thomas Jefferson Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-6. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 4 out of 10 based on academic quality.