Washington Elementary School 1

Posted November 03, 2012
For the 2012-2013 BUSD made some changes with their principals. Washington for many years had an outstanding one. But the new one is not parent or family friendly.Its is difficult for parents to be on campus. They can not attend flag ceremony which takes place every Monday. And its by invite only if you wish to attend student of the month. We are talking about parents wanting to be part of their child's school.Parents have spoken to this principal but she has turned away from their concerns. A great school need to have parents involvement working with teachers and administrations. Washington has outstanding teachers and parents that would like to help in the classroom. And that is a big part that is missing at Washington. There is no longer any parents that wish to help out. This is a sad situation happening now. BUSD need to take a close look at how this school is being ran.If Washington wishes to raise its API score which is one of the lowest in the district it will require everyone working together.

Posted May 09, 2012
Re: May Thompson Elementary School, I also attended in the mid to late '50s. Finding information about the school is what led me here. Mr. Bellamy was the principal. There is a yahoo map that shows an address of 15143 Ryon Ave. as the location of the now defunct school. That looks about right, based on where I used to live on Maplewood, just off Bellflower Blvd. I remember walking the route. The info I found shows the school as having opened in1980 and closed in 1989. That is certainly not true, perhaps a typo on the opening date. But in the '70s I remember driving by the old location and not finding the school there. A web site I just found lists May Thompson as originating in the '40s. That seems to fit with how old it looked when I went there. The school grounds are now a housing tract. You can see how oddly it sits in the midst of older surrounding structures. I'm surprised there is not a site for some history of the school.

Posted February 29, 2012
I have a non-related question out of my curiosity. Does anyone here remember an elementary school in Bellflower called May Thompson School? I went there for a couple years back in the late 50's and was curious if it still existed or not? What street it was/is on, etc. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Much!

Posted April 23, 2011
I think the just some teachers are excellent! but only some,like Ms Navarro,Ms Lopez,Ms Waytas,and some others I just don't remember there last names. Do to my experience with some others,they exagerate to much with the pink slips and detentions for the kids,even if they laugh they give detentions I guess is a limit for every action and they just take the situations to personal. they have to understand some of the children live with kinds of family where they don't learn anything,some of this kids has or no Mom or no Dad. How this teachers expect to have an excellent student with half family,some of them are also abuse at home and thats why they show all their frustrations at school and thats why they can't control there impulses of fears.

Posted December 01, 2010
My childs kinder teacher (Mrs. Martinez-Gallegos) was the greatest! She knew what each student needed as an individual and used that to teach them accordingly. She did not just involve parents for special activities but encouraged us to be part of the daily lessons. There was never a dull moment in her classroom. I cannot wait for my next child to start kinder with her! Being a kindergartner my child was not involved in any extracurricular activities so I am unaware of there being any. Overall, this teacher makes the difference!

Posted April 27, 2010
Thank you for the opportunity to give my opinion about this Excellent School, starting from the principal,the teachers and all the members and staff of this I really want to thanks all of it,do to all the help I have recieve and the past until now. I have a son with ADHD problems and the first year to me it was really hard even for my son we don't know what happen after the mettings we have with the staff in charge of the students behavior I understand the problem and thanks to this wonderfull people my son is doing very well now. So! to me is the best school ever I have no money to pay all what they did for me and my son. 'THANK YOU VERY MUCH WAHSINGTON STAFF GOOD BLESS YOU ALL FOR YOUR HARD WORK WITH THE STUDENTS'

Posted March 25, 2010
Washington Elementary School like over night, has become a great Elementary School. Its teachers are superior. Leadership is outstanding. And their PTA works hard to in getting parents involved with the school activies, fundraisers and get parent in 'the know' about issues that effect our school.

Posted December 08, 2009

Washington Elementary School 4

Posted August 15, 2005
My daughter attended this school from 3rd to 6th grade. This was around 3 years ago and we had a pleasant experience. The teachers were pretty involved, particularly Mr. Rodriguez and Mr. Hollenbeck although I believe he may have retired now. The student population was racially mixed but that didn't seem to be a problem whatsoever. I am now getting ready to enroll my younger daughter there and am expecting the same results. I think with more parental involvement and student participation the school would really flourish.

Posted August 23, 2004
The school needs to have more parent involvement. There are many saftey concearns that need to be addressed. With more parents, these issues can be recognized and hopefully resolved.

Washington Elementary School
9725 East Jefferson Street, Bellflower, CA  90706
Last modified Washington Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-6. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 4 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Washington Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 11 reviews. Top