No rating

Wonderland School

Private | PK-1 | 100 students

Free part-time program, accredited teachers, and over 50 years in operation.

Living in Bellflower

Situated in an inner city neighborhood. The median home value is $284,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,360.

Posted July 18, 2013

Solid school. My son attended the LAUP program and had a very positive experiance. My child can count to 50 with out help and 50 to 100 with my help. I like that the classroom is rated by the LAUP agency. However, the school should extend the LAUP hours.

Posted January 13, 2013

My nephew attends Wonderland Preschool, but he can't differentiate between 12 and 20. It makes me wonder if there's any one on one at this school. All children learn at different levels! Too expensive! Not a good school! There's also no parent involvement! What is that all about!

Posted August 20, 2012

Excellent teacher Anny. She's been great with my daughter the past six months. I would reccomend this school to anyone.

Posted July 22, 2011

We love Wonderland Preschool! Our daughter is in her 2nd yr of preschool and is thriving, happy, loved & so proud of all her new skills & independence. We are so impressed with the teachers. There is a nice balance between years of experience, new energy & warmth amongst them. Its wonderful to feel so satisfied with your child s first teachers and know that such a solid foundation is developing within. We have also been so impressed with their creative curriculum approach. It s so refreshing to see the children busy at their desks sorting, working on their letters, pouring water, using their fine motor skills all with such focus & determination. We are so grateful to be a part of this well balanced community.

Posted September 18, 2010

My child graduated from the pre K program at Wonderland. They have a good staff which follows up with children s progress and genuinely care about their learning. The new educational approach they have worked wonders with my child. Now in kindergarten at another public school he s ahead. Wonderland is a good preschool to consider.

Posted August 17, 2010

i've been there with a friend whose child currently attends and she's talked about how the children are distracted with "playtimes" instead of learning. i also visited the school's website and found numerous grammatical errors including the misspelling of the simple word "family" a few times. if they're simple grammatical skills are that bad, should you really trust them to teach your child? i also noted several reviews on the trulia site from parents who previously attended and boast about what a great curriculum the school offers, however, the proof is in the pudding and none of them could spell neither. education starts early and needs to be built on top a solid foundation and this school seems to lack that,

Posted March 15, 2010

Wonderland is a great school. I went there in the early 60's and my two daughters go there now. The teachers gives individual attention, they are very nurturing, the classrooms are very spacious, and best of all they teach the children to read and write. Recently they begin to serve breakfast and lunch which has helped me out tremendously. It might look small and old in the outside, but the inside leads to a success that will help them go to a good elementary school. Jessica Gonzalez

Posted January 29, 2010

I do think Mr & Mrs Jacobs are doing a great job with the school. I must say though I wish the teachers were teaching a little more that what they do. I hate seeing teachers that have been there for so long and just seem UNHAPPY to be there. Please please make Wonderland a better experience for our children. Overall I can say I do feel comfortable leaving my son/daughter there. I know she will enjoy it but sometimes I wonder why they play more than learn. Everytime I walk into the classroom outside they are always just playing with the toys and not really doing anything. I can't be there all day but I just hope the kids are learning more than just playing :(

Posted January 28, 2010

I absolutely love this school. My daughter is 2, attends this school and she loves it. I would refer this school to anyone. The staff are extremely friendly and they make parents feel at ease when leaving your child in their care. I can honestly say I lucked up with finding a good school.

Posted January 14, 2010

My son goes to this school, I like it.. I don't think I can say I love it but I just wish they were more involved in teaching than other things,There are times when after the week is over,He brings nothing home. I think to myself, well what did he do all week?? Some of us don't need the day care, we want our children to learn not just to paint once out of a week and still have trouble identifying their numbers. Please please, I ask for wonderland to step it up a notch and increase their teaching skills. Overall this school gets the job done,My son does love school..but I feel he isn't learning everything he should. I give it 3 stars out of 5..

Posted May 23, 2008

I love this school. My daughter has attended since she was 2 years old and now she is in 1st grade. My son started recently when he was 3 years old. Mr. & Mrs. Jacobs are great. They run a great school and have deep caring for the kids. My kids love the teachers.My daughter is extremely bright and I owe it to the time and attention she receives from the teachers. They have dance, karate, and summer swim, along with field trips etc. The down side is that the school ends after 4th grade. I think the tution is more than fair.

Posted March 16, 2008

I love this school. My child has gone to Wonderland for 4 years now and I love it there. Everyone is so nice. I wish it would go up to 8th grade.

Posted August 23, 2007

My daughter is enrolled in PreK and has been there since April 07. She absolutely loves it and I see how she is at home and how she applies what she learns in school to our home. Simply when I tell her its time to clean up at home she gets up and sings the song that she sings at school. This pass summer I had her in swimming classes and she did extremely well. Mr Jacobs is a wonderful director who knows all the children by their name and that to me is special plus.

Posted November 27, 2006

My daughter is enrolled in the preK program at Wonderland. My daughter loves it and looks forward to going to school. The teachers are wonderful and have the kids do great educational and fun projects. The drawback is the cost. The tuition is on the high side and you only have the option of 5 half days (or you send them full time). I do not use the school as daycare and am only interested in sending my child half day (the rest of the day is nap,snack & playtime). So even though she only goes 3 half days I still have to pay for 5 days- ouch! I wish they would offer a more flexible plan. After paying tuition who has money left for the fun stuff?

Posted August 2, 2005

Wonderland School has everything you could ever ask for...They really make sure the students are involved in music and arts...

Posted May 23, 2005

The principal and teaching staff are very friendly.
—Submitted by a former student

Posted March 11, 2004

I have two children at this school, one in Pre-K, the other started as Pre-K and is now in 1st grade. With the leadership of Mr. Jacobs, school administrator, the teachers emphasize educational acheivement, social skills, manners, and discipline. My children love attending school there. They also have an awesome program that includes dance, karate, and swimming.

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Assistant principal(s)
Computer specialist(s)
Cooking/Nutrition teacher(s)
Math specialist(s)
Reading specialist(s)
Teacher aid/assistant teacher
Tutor(s)
Foreign languages spoken by school staff Spanish
Hindi
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by a school official.

Awards

Academic awards received in the past 3 years
  • ECERS Rating (2010 - Current) (2013)
  • CLASS Rating (2010 - Current) (2013)
Community service awards received in the past 3 years
  • City of Bellflower (2012)

Special education / special needs

• Special education
Level of special education programming offered
  • None - the school offers no services
  • Differentiated learning programs

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Mathematics

School start time
  • 6:30 am
School end time
  • 6:00 pm
Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • Before school: starts at 6:30 a.m.
  • After school: ends at 6:00 p.m.
  • Preschool Director
Best ways for parents to contact the school
  • Phone
Age at which early childhood or Pre-K program begins
  • Infant
  • Part-time study
  • Year-round
Boarding options
  • Day school
Is there an application process?
Affiliation
  • Nonsectarian

Instructional and/or curriculum models used

• Creative Curriculum

• Mentoring
  • Tutoring
Transportation options
  • Buses/vans for students only
  • Drop off from elementry school
  • Audiovisual aids
  • Outdoor learning lab
  • Parent center
  • Playground
  • Science lab
Partnerships with local resources and organizations

Sports

School culture

Dress Code
  • Dress code
Bullying policy
  • This school has a bullying and/or cyber bullying policy in place.
  • Attend parent nights
  • Chaperone school trips
  • Organize cultural events
  • Present special topics during curricular units
  • Serve on school improvement team or governance council
  • Tutor