Belmont, CA
Students enrolled: 2,114

Posted April 15, 2014
Carlmont high school works hard to keep curriculum balanced. In times when more affluent neighborhoods are losing public funding, the community works with the staff at Carlmont to ensure extra curriculars, the arts, music, and sports, remain strong high school values. Carlmont's staff is top notch and ensure our children are cared for and are sought after by top universities.

Posted September 21, 2013
I am a parent with my 3rd child at Carlmont and my wife and I have been involved with this school as parents and active volunteers for more than 10 years. Please don't let this schools rating of only an 8 scare you off. There are a couple of ridiculous reviews on this site, obviously written by an disgruntled parent or employee who have a personal axe to grind. People are scrambling to try to get into this school for a reason. Your child will receive an excellent education and enjoy a traditional high school experience with lots of clubs, sports and an excellent offering in the arts. No school is perfect, but Carlmont shines. We are all very excited about the new principal too.

Carlmont High School 4

Posted July 31, 2013
I have been very pleased with Carlmont, (my daughter just completed her senior year and my son is entering sophomore year). I have found most of the teachers and administrators to be responsive and professional, with some truly outstanding in their commitment to the students and quality of their teaching. I have worked closely with the school administration because one of my children had a 504. My children are both smart and interested in academic success. They both found friends and many classes they enjoy. Their complaint is the high number of students whose main interest is disrupting class. The main common denominator for disruptive and disrespectful students is that they are bussed in. As a teacher, I have sympathy for instructors trying to teach when some students are belligerent/disrespectful and disinterested. Teaching high school is challeging enough. If students don't want to be bussed to Carlmont, the district should not force them. I have no hesitation in recommending Carlmont as a very good public high school.

Posted October 28, 2012
Our freshman LOVES school at Carlmont. Great teachers, challenging classes, lots of activities and sports. He's made many new friends and we couldn't be happier.

Carlmont High School 1

Posted October 28, 2012
It took a year-long battle involving FERPA/U.S. Dept. of Education for this legal custodian to obtain Carlmont's school records for her own child - even with a copy of the "legal custody" court status provided to them. Carlmont failed this parent, her child - and the potential safety & well-being of other students - by their complete and total disregard for the rights of a custodial parent . Allegations of "harassment" were also put forth when I requested my daughter's records pursuant to FERPA guidelines.

Posted October 15, 2012
This school has been wonderful, both in terms of quality of education, teaching staff (with the exception of a Mandarin teacher), and after school activities. We are very happy with the results thus far. I don't understand the 1 star reviews. Thankfully, they are in the minority, because more than likely, your child will have a wonderful experience at Carlmont.

Carlmont High School 4

Posted September 14, 2012
I just graduated from Carlmont last year after transferring into the school from the mid-west my senior year. My experience couldn't be more different than the new student below. My guidance councilor arranged for another student to show me around. She did a good job matching us up, because we became friends and I was introduced to other students and was included in all of their school and social activities. I would just say that this school is big and has something for everyone. School just started two weeks ago--give it a chance. Join some clubs or teams and if you don't have friends yet, the teachers all open their classrooms at lunchtime.

Carlmont High School 2

Posted September 09, 2012
I juss transferred here from South City High as a sophmore. So far i have to say this school absolutely sucks. As a student you try to meet as many people as possible your highschool years. There are sooo many cliques here. Other than kids, the teachers I have are horrible, the teachers just go with what they teach & dont review material to make sure students get it. I guess its just this district. Students start at a young age if this type of learning. I know this school is for my best intention later in life but im definently going to try & get out. STAY AWAY!

Carlmont High School 1

Posted August 28, 2012
Very impersonal and large school. Senior administration is very weak and I have recently looking at their experiences more closely to see if they are actually a fit for higher education. Some teachers are too busy there being part of the union rather than contributing to the education. Thumbs down for this school as far as I am concerned. Summit Prep, Everest, Menlo Atherton is a very good alternative.

Posted August 19, 2012
Our youngest is about to start her Senior year at Carlmont. This will complete our two children going from pre-school thru High School in our local system. Fox Elementary - Ralston Middle School - Carlmont High School. I have no regrets as a parent that we chose to live in this area,mostly due to the public schools. They have received a solid education, including lots of diverse experience both socially and academically. The highlight of all these years has definitely been Carlmont. I am a big fan of the administration and their personal approach my children had from several of them. There have also been great teacher experiences. The arts programs have also been a real highlight. The athletics my children chose had IPS and downs, but is ending strong. Has it all been perfect, of course not. Have I been disappointed a few times, yes. But overall I have been thrilled. I have been engaged in work to support the schools routine certification analysis. The effort to continue to advance the schools performance is without question. To an incoming students parent, this was a great choice for us.

Carlmont High School
1400 Alameda De Las Pulgas, Belmont, CA  94002
Last modified Carlmont High School is a Public school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Carlmont High School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 42 reviews. Top