Belmont, CA
Students enrolled: 2,114

Carlmont High School 3

Posted May 27, 2015
As a parent, I appreciate the high level of teaching and curriculum. Some teachers & aides are exceptional. The other side of this....I have seen a few teachers that are often absence making it hard for students to learn (the sub is mostly there for supervision). I have seen a few teachers that make there on-line assignment information so confusing that students and parents can't follow it. This doesn't lend to a good learning environment. You have to wonder why would a teacher make it so difficult. I have seen parents that contact vice principal, or principal about these issues get nowhere. Worst of all that can lead to the ranks in admin brand those parents privately as trouble makers.

Teacher effectiveness: Effective

Posted May 27, 2015
I think most of the teachers are effective, to very effective. A few are not, however admin again will defend, defend, defend, instead of listen, listen, listen to the parent concerns with genuine caring.

Amount of homework: Just right

Posted May 27, 2015
Everyone from parents, to student, to parents have a different opinion I this. Given this I think most teachers do a good job on this.

Develops grit: Neutral

Posted May 27, 2015
Most teachers & classroom assistants do a good job of this, but not admin. I am only neutral when it comes to admin.

Develops respect: Disagree

Posted May 27, 2015
Again, the respect from top depends, and it shouldn't be allowed to be this way. How can admin be charged with instilling what they pick and choose to give themselves.

Develops empathy: Neutral

Posted May 27, 2015
Example, if a teacher in the admin click mentors a trouble student then that student gets all the support. A student of parent that has complained, or a student on their own that causes trouble often gets: a game plan that at best is unhelpful, at worst bullies them out.

Develops honesty: Disagree

Posted May 27, 2015
How can you develop honesty and integrity when admin picks and chooses when they will be honest, fair, and show integrity?

Carlmont High School 5

Posted April 15, 2014
Carlmont high school works hard to keep curriculum balanced. In times when more affluent neighborhoods are losing public funding, the community works with the staff at Carlmont to ensure extra curriculars, the arts, music, and sports, remain strong high school values. Carlmont's staff is top notch and ensure our children are cared for and are sought after by top universities.

Carlmont High School 5

Posted September 21, 2013
I am a parent with my 3rd child at Carlmont and my wife and I have been involved with this school as parents and active volunteers for more than 10 years. Please don't let this schools rating of only an 8 scare you off. There are a couple of ridiculous reviews on this site, obviously written by an disgruntled parent or employee who have a personal axe to grind. People are scrambling to try to get into this school for a reason. Your child will receive an excellent education and enjoy a traditional high school experience with lots of clubs, sports and an excellent offering in the arts. No school is perfect, but Carlmont shines. We are all very excited about the new principal too.
2 people found this helpful

Carlmont High School 4

Posted July 31, 2013
I have been very pleased with Carlmont, (my daughter just completed her senior year and my son is entering sophomore year). I have found most of the teachers and administrators to be responsive and professional, with some truly outstanding in their commitment to the students and quality of their teaching. I have worked closely with the school administration because one of my children had a 504. My children are both smart and interested in academic success. They both found friends and many classes they enjoy. Their complaint is the high number of students whose main interest is disrupting class. The main common denominator for disruptive and disrespectful students is that they are bussed in. As a teacher, I have sympathy for instructors trying to teach when some students are belligerent/disrespectful and disinterested. Teaching high school is challeging enough. If students don't want to be bussed to Carlmont, the district should not force them. I have no hesitation in recommending Carlmont as a very good public high school.

1400 Alameda De Las Pulgas, Belmont, CA  94002
Last modified Carlmont High School is a Public school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Carlmont High School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 52 reviews. Top