No rating

Belmont Oaks Academy

Private | K-5 | 228 students

Living in Belmont

Situated in an urban neighborhood. The median home value is $830,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,640.

Posted August 19, 2013

If your child is a normal leaner with no issues; this school should suit your purposes. BOA is expensive and doesn't even offer low class sizes. The issue comes in if your child has a slight learning disability. BOA will not tell you they need to go to a different school. There is no way they want to lose the tuition dollars. They will recommend specialist after specialist; all the while you are paying for this expense. If this is happening to you, tour other schools and see what they offer. You will find out when your child goes to middle school and struggles through his classes; that maybe a different environment would have been better.

Posted July 30, 2013

I have one child at Belmont Oaks and the other at Merry Moppet (they are on the same site). Here are the reasons that I have rated Belmont Oaks 5 stars: 1) My child has become a confident reader due to the fantastic reading program. She used to never read on her own and now I always find her at home tucked away with a book. 2) Fantastic student to teacher ratio. In my child's class there are two dedicated teachers for 24 kids. 2) They have regular Spanish classes taught by a dedicated Spanish teacher. 3) They have classes in using computers - so that the children feel confident using computers for learning and testing. 4) There is an in-ground pool (!) onsite such that your kids can take swimming lessons every day during the summer. My child is now an advanced swimmer because of the lessons. 5) After-school care is well-organized and attended and has a good combination of learning and fun. I work full-time, so after-care is very important to me. 6) The academics are way ahead of the public schools. My daughter learned fractions in kindergarden! 7) Collectively, the children are smart, kind, and mature. So happy with my daughter's friends!! Definitely consider this school!

Posted June 1, 2013

If you want a crisp verdict - I would suggest you to look elsewhere for the price you pay. I have two kids - for the first one we started off with merry moppet and then BOA till 2nd. We never saw any significant results. All the kids in private schools were still beginning to read at the end of kindergarten grade. We assumed that was the trend - we spoke with the teachers and we heard the same. We let it go and didn't want to push the children. But on 2nd grade I saw that the boa was just in par in math and reading with public schools in the neighbor hood - not to mention the cramped school environment, no play area, tiny winy rooms where at least public schools are better. We decided to pull my kid out in mid 2nd grade - but we couldn't unless we pay the tuition for the rest of the year ($1500/mo). So we decided to keep her in it and then move. We did move out child out - we had to move her to public school since the child was far below in math and reading compared to similar pvt schools like Stratford and challenger or other mission schools. I had to work with her for the next year to get her on par then move her back to pvt. My vote is Merry moppet and BOA are a waste of money.

Posted March 18, 2011

BOA is a safe and rewarding school. The students are taught to respect others and be responsible. Their summer program is excellent way to check out the school and is reasonably price. You can always be proud on how the BOA students behave in public. My son enjoy BOA so much that he didn t want to miss any days from school for a family Disney trip. My son attended 3rd-5th grade. We only wish that BOA would expand to 8th grade. Warning - 3rd grader s homework can be changeling, but the teachers are the BEST.

Posted March 18, 2011

I have two children at BOA. They both started in preschool and are now in 3rd grade and 5th grade respectively. First of all, the teachers are incredible. They know the whole child, all aspects. The principal is also outstanding. My children love it and we highly value the community of parents. Thank you Belmont Oaks for taking care of our children and educating them at the highest standards imaginable without the stress. It has been very fun for all of us!

Posted August 3, 2010

My wife and I have children at Merry Moppet Preschool as well as Belmont Oaks Academy for 6 years and have been nothing but impressed with both schools. The teachers and staff are very supportive of both students and parents. We feel that our children are receiving an excellent education in a loving and nurturing environment. We look forward to many more years at Belmont Oaks Academy.

Posted June 30, 2010

My daughter went to the Merry Moppet Pre-School which she loved and then went on to Belmont Oaks for Kindergarten. After only 2 weeks in school my daughter came home crrying inconsolable because she recieved a "Yellow Card" which we were not made aware of this method of discipline. When we asked her Teacher about it we were told to ask the Principal at the Open House. When we did my wife and I were lectured to in front of ALL the other parents that "Every Parent thinks their child is an angel-well let me tell you she said-They are not!" I told her that I thought she was rude and had not answered my question about the "Yellow Card" .The next day she Expelled my daughter!!! I give the Principal and the Belmont Oaks School a Red Card for zero compassion and wonder why the Principal hates children so much!

Posted March 16, 2010

I have two children currently enrolled in Kindergarten and second grade. I love the school, the teachers and the principal. The teachers are warm and caring. My second grader is an avid reader. My Kindergartner is really reading and having fun. The school is safe. They intervene with problem kids, so you don't have to put up with disruptive personalities. The parent's club and community is active. I can't say enough good things about it and our experience there.

Posted September 12, 2009

My son graduated from Belmont Oaks and he was very prepared for his private middle school. They do a great job of developing the kids both academically and socially. The principal knows each child by name as well as their personality. They are definately not a cookie cutter school. Can't recommend BOA enough. Great teachers and a great principal.

Posted June 2, 2009

Both of our chidren graduated from Belmont Oaks Academy. Our family could not be more plesed with the quality of academics an personal care each one of our children received at BOA. Both of our children are very difffernt personalities and learning styles and every teacher took the time every year to meet each of our children's needs. We can't say enough about the teachers and the love of learning they instilled in our children.

Posted September 2, 2008

We have had our three children at Belmont Oaks (from Kindergarten through to 5th), and feel that its the best possible school we could have ever found.

Posted June 29, 2008

My child attended Kindergarten in Belmont Oaks Academy this past year. I took her out of this school based on her class had over 30 students in it. This is with one head teacher and a second assistant teacher. My daughter was also advanced; but BOA has a cookie cutter approach to class. You either fit in the mold or you don't. They have no advanced studies for children who are ahead of the curve.

Posted February 5, 2008

My son just started in kindergarten this past fall, and we've been very pleased with the school thus far. The academics are actually more demanding than I expected. They do challenge the children to go beyond their comfort zone, but they do not necessarily push the children if they are not ready. I find that it is the parents of certain children that keep pushing the academics. The school's methodology seems effective in teaching even the more complex concepts and they reinforce what they learn by lots of practice. The teachers are responsive to parental concerns. The principal is a direct, dynamic, no nonsense person that communicates clearly and decisively the direction and priorities of the school. Even with the amount of work my son does, he loves his teachers and going to school. Teachers are paid fairly. It's a little pricey, but you get what you pay for.

Posted December 31, 2007

Our family currently has 2 children at BOA. We can't wait for our youngest to start this fall. It has been an amazing experience. Great balance of academics and social. Teaching staff are professional and experienced. Most 'new' teachers are not new to teaching and only enrich the already advanced curriculum. We can't imagine our children at any other school!

Posted November 9, 2007

My children were at BOA for a period of 2-6 years. I left very dissatified after differences with the principal. When I took my childre out of BOA, I was dismayed to discover they were each a year behind other private school levels.

Posted November 5, 2007

My child was at BOA for over five years. While the preschool, Kindergarten (this all depends on what Kindergarten teacher you get) - and first grade are good, the upper grades are lacking. The 2nd - 5th teachers are all fairly new to the school and for the most part, I would question of how many years they have had teaching. There also seems to be a turnaround of teachers for these grades in the past few years. Quality went down while costs went up. That seemed to answer my question on why the upper grades get smaller every year.

Posted April 13, 2007

Our second child will soon go to BOA. What we love about it is their wholistic approach. Every teacher, regardless of grade, knows our children. It isn't a large school, so the level of personal connection between teachers and student is fabulous. My daughter's teacher knows our child in all ways, and when we meet, we learn about her holistically: social, emotional, play, food consumption, and what you expect to get elsewhere, school performance. And, we think the world of the Principal who sets the tone for all! She is a great balance between 'family-feel', discipline and expectation. We highly recommend BOA!

Posted June 1, 2006

We've been at Belmont Oaks Academy for 3 years and have nothing but great things to say about the school. The principal is fantastic - really understands children, the goals of the curriculum and the middle school process. Academics are rigorous, but the kids experience learning as a natural progression. Class sizes are small, with great teacher/student ratios. Parent involvement tends towards a core of very committed parents, outside of the classroom. We are very happy there, and recommend you check it out.

Posted May 2, 2006

This is an excellent school. My daughter is in Kindergarten and has had a great year. You can't go wrong with either teacher in Kinder, both are very good, one just has more years under her belt. It's a small school so everybody knows each other. This makes me comfortable because teachers in higher grades get to know the kids even before they enter that grade. I think it gives the teachers a jump start on what to expect from the kids and how to better help them succeed. It's well worth the money. Principal is a riot! She know all the kids by first names and knows all their strengths and weaknesses. Also very important when it comes to placing the student with the right teacher. I love the discipline! The kids are so well behaved but still expressive with their personalities.

Posted March 22, 2006

This is a fantastic school. My son is in kindergarten and is already reading, writing and doing math problems. He has two great teachers in one classroom as well as one of the best principals I have seen in a long time. She knows all the kids names. This is a very caring and supportive school with high quaity academics and solid parent involvement. One of my favorite parts of the school is they also include music and dance as part of the school actitivies. The students perform for parents in a spring sing festival with costumes and music. This was great for my son who is very shy and it has given him confidence to perform in public.

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 24% 11%