1,179 students|Benicia Unified

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (1 response)

Teacher effectiveness: Disagree

some are very rude and talk about nothing that has to do with the sibject they teach

This school is a joke! If it weren't the ONLY one in town I would do whatever I could to move my children. There are teachers there that should have left 20 plus years ago but instead stay and take out their frustrations on the kids. Sad! When it is brought to the attention of the principles, etc. they tell you what you want to hear but it never really changes. As long as this is the only gig in town I guess they don't have to change. Our tax dollars are being WASTED HERE that's for sure! I hope Benicia Middle School's survival never depends on my vote because if that were ever the case it'd be closed in a heartbeat. We want to respect our educators and believe they are in it for the good of the students. I myself have had many brilliant, capable people teach me, however, I also remember those teachers who taught with ego fear, and power trips and I still recognize them today in disproportionate amounts at this school! Grade F!!!!!!

Benicia Middle School is probably one of the worst schools in the bay area. This is my second year attending and still nothing has changed. Kids are getting beat up, sexually harassed, and constantly bullied. The counsler doesn't do anything at all and the principal has no idea what's she doing. You can proof and they still won't believe you or do anything about it. There is no simpathy. They have no discipline and treat you like dirt. Teachers select favorites and the other students get treated unfairly. The teachers make everything a competition and put stress on you. The stress has caused some kids to self harm, have reckless behavior, and many get depressed and anxiety. The school may look pretty but kids are crying in the bathroom and treated unequally. There is one black teacher at our school and there is constantly racism. Going to this school is a punishment.

As a new parent to the school I am not impressed with the school. It is very large (approximately 1200 students), the dress code is loosely enforced, and the children are to very welcoming to newcomers. The most disappointing fact of all is the achievement levels of the students. Published test results indicate the school is in Program Improvement year 5, and has hundreds of children to failing to meet proficiency. My family is now searching for a private school. This is very unfortunate given the hype of Benicia schools.

We moved to Benicia and my daughter started sixth grade in the middle of the school year - not an easy time for a young girl to have to move. The kids were very welcoming and the first thing we noticed was how there are comparatively few cliques. Coming from the midwest, this school is so much more accepting of children of all backgrounds, races, etc. We are very pleased to be able to send our daughter to a school in such a great community. I'd have to say my only complaint is I don't think the administration handled one incident very well (a fight that happened at school). I do realize fighting will occasionally happen at any school, but I think they missed a great opportunity to talk with the kids about bullying and fighting, and how to avoid it.

This has been the worst school experience of my life. The teachers are constantly loosing papers & give you zeros. The principal & vice principals try as much as possible to not get into the situations going on at school. The counselor does not help either. Bullying is illegal in California and has been for a while now. I have been bullied myself at this school for absolutely no reason. Every time I went to the office they would not let me talk to anyone about the situation, they would not believe me, or say if there was not a witness it didn't happen. I eventually did talk to the vice principal and they did not do anything about it. The people who had bullied me did not get in any trouble at all besides getting talked to. I do not recommend this school!

i looooooove benicia middle achool and the entire district! i love the small town enviroment! im going to 8th grade and with the tools i've learned at benicia middle i will hopefully be able to complete 4 years at CAL berkeley, with a scholarship for dance and then later on train with the alvin ailey dance troop.

BMS is one of the worst schools i've been to. I grew up in one town, and then moved to Benicia during the middle of 6th grade. I was used to daily life at middle school, but have never exeperienced so much racism in my life. Not only that but, some kids picked fights with people just because of the clothes a person wears. I had two really nice teachers , but with all of the hurtfulness that racist comments brings, it was difficult to really focus on what was truley important, my education, not what color God made me or what clothes I have on. Hopefully next year things will be better for me and all of the other kids who are not apart of the cliques at BMS.

I absolutely HATE this school! They bully you just because of what you wear and have lots of emo people going here. Two people got arrested this year!!! 4 fights in one year! No discipline at all! The second star is for good looks in the classroom and funny teachers.

I dont know what they teach students at the middle school but nearly every student coming from the middle school seems to have the thought that the world revolves around them. I can tell you that my middle school years were someof the worst times of my life. I was nowhere near ready for high school. In seventh grade i was sent to the office 17 times for referals, everytime i was let off with just a warning. Where's the discipline? I even got to serve a saturday school in the teachers lounge because they wouldnt turn on the heater for a single room. If anything, I learned that I could get away with causing trouble.

Last modified Benicia Middle School is a Public school that serves grades 6-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.