Benicia, CA
Students enrolled: 1,170

Posted September 19, 2013
As a new parent to the school I am not impressed with the school. It is very large (approximately 1200 students), the dress code is loosely enforced, and the children are to very welcoming to newcomers. The most disappointing fact of all is the achievement levels of the students. Published test results indicate the school is in Program Improvement year 5, and has hundreds of children to failing to meet proficiency. My family is now searching for a private school. This is very unfortunate given the hype of Benicia schools.

Benicia Middle School 4

Posted May 07, 2012
We moved to Benicia and my daughter started sixth grade in the middle of the school year - not an easy time for a young girl to have to move. The kids were very welcoming and the first thing we noticed was how there are comparatively few cliques. Coming from the midwest, this school is so much more accepting of children of all backgrounds, races, etc. We are very pleased to be able to send our daughter to a school in such a great community. I'd have to say my only complaint is I don't think the administration handled one incident very well (a fight that happened at school). I do realize fighting will occasionally happen at any school, but I think they missed a great opportunity to talk with the kids about bullying and fighting, and how to avoid it.

Posted July 29, 2011
This has been the worst school experience of my life. The teachers are constantly loosing papers & give you zeros. The principal & vice principals try as much as possible to not get into the situations going on at school. The counselor does not help either. Bullying is illegal in California and has been for a while now. I have been bullied myself at this school for absolutely no reason. Every time I went to the office they would not let me talk to anyone about the situation, they would not believe me, or say if there was not a witness it didn't happen. I eventually did talk to the vice principal and they did not do anything about it. The people who had bullied me did not get in any trouble at all besides getting talked to. I do not recommend this school!

Benicia Middle School 5

Posted July 23, 2010
i looooooove benicia middle achool and the entire district! i love the small town enviroment! im going to 8th grade and with the tools i've learned at benicia middle i will hopefully be able to complete 4 years at CAL berkeley, with a scholarship for dance and then later on train with the alvin ailey dance troop.

Posted July 07, 2010
BMS is one of the worst schools i've been to. I grew up in one town, and then moved to Benicia during the middle of 6th grade. I was used to daily life at middle school, but have never exeperienced so much racism in my life. Not only that but, some kids picked fights with people just because of the clothes a person wears. I had two really nice teachers , but with all of the hurtfulness that racist comments brings, it was difficult to really focus on what was truley important, my education, not what color God made me or what clothes I have on. Hopefully next year things will be better for me and all of the other kids who are not apart of the cliques at BMS.

Posted June 11, 2010
I absolutely HATE this school! They bully you just because of what you wear and have lots of emo people going here. Two people got arrested this year!!! 4 fights in one year! No discipline at all! The second star is for good looks in the classroom and funny teachers.

Posted April 15, 2010
I dont know what they teach students at the middle school but nearly every student coming from the middle school seems to have the thought that the world revolves around them. I can tell you that my middle school years were someof the worst times of my life. I was nowhere near ready for high school. In seventh grade i was sent to the office 17 times for referals, everytime i was let off with just a warning. Where's the discipline? I even got to serve a saturday school in the teachers lounge because they wouldnt turn on the heater for a single room. If anything, I learned that I could get away with causing trouble.

Posted October 26, 2009
My daughter attended 6th grade and is now in 7th grade at Benicia Middle School. We moved to Benicia last year from the East Coast, outside Philadelphia for a year and in MA for 4 years prior. I researched the Benicia schools and found them to be rated very high. Unfortunately our experience has not been as great as I would have expected. There is no transportation (except public transportation) - thankfully we live close enough for my daughter to walk. The school offers very few extracurriculars -- I've heard the band (brass only) is a great program but my daughter plays the violin, the sports programs have tryouts and more than half the kids that tryout don't make the teams, electives are offered in the form of a class so kids can't join yearbook and learn Spanish, for example. Additionally they offer a limited amount of advanced Math classes.

Posted September 05, 2009

Benicia Middle School 5

Posted June 02, 2009

Benicia Middle School
1100 Southampton Road, Benicia, CA  94510
Last modified Benicia Middle School is a Public school that serves grades 6-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Benicia Middle School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 24 reviews. Top