Posted February 08, 2014
I have one child at Matthew Turner now and another one who graduated from the same school who is now in middle school. The teachers and school staff are absolutely wonderful. Curriculum is top notch, as evidenced by my middle schooler who is not only breezing through middle school but constantly on honor roll. Personally, I have no problems with the strict attendance, test scores, and lots of parent involvement, etc. All of these things help them get ready for their next stage in life. Early foundation is key. If you don't want your child to excel academically and socially, then this school is not for you. Bravo to Matthew Turner!

Posted September 09, 2012
Excellent school. I moved to Benicia for the schools two years ago and I am very pleased with that choice. A bit about my situation...I have two daughters attending this school. Neither of my kids attended preschool so I was a little concerned about their transition, particularly when the Kindergarten days were extended. I found the teachers were committed to exposing kids to the educational experience and exciting them about learning. I would say both my kids have different strengths and weaknesses but teachers (and my wife and I) worked with them and it paid off. Parent involvement both at school and at home is higher than I anticipated. Expect to be strongly encouraged to volunteer if your child attends MT. I admit, sometimes I joke with other parents that 'I don't remember it being that way when I was a kid' but honestly times have changed and I am over it. Although volunteering is an investment and it's not always easy it results in a strong sense of community here and a lot of that is due to the parental involvement. Parents recognize my kids and we recognize theirs, etc. Last I checked I thought that was a good thing and usually really good things cost a bit.

Posted August 12, 2012
Parents and teachers are very engaged to the benefit of the students. Due to this year's change in principals, I have to rate four starts until the new leadership is established. Past leadership has balanced school funds with curriculum and parental involvement.

Posted April 15, 2011
This school could not be better! Great teachers, great principal. 99.9% of the parents are involved in the extra activities, and a majority of the parents and students come to the extra event held after school or on the weekends. My daughter has learned far more than others her age that are at different schools. If it weren't for this schools performance our only other option would be private school. I would not feel comfortable sending my daughter to any other school in the bay area, and know that she would get the best education possible. Thank you to the staff and other involved parents at this school.

Matthew Turner Elementary School 1

Posted March 25, 2011
I have not been happy with this school. Am looking at other options. Teachers are great but to much emphasis on test scores which creates competitive environment in children.

Matthew Turner Elementary School 3

Posted December 03, 2009

Matthew Turner Elementary School 0

Posted October 08, 2009
It's a wonderful school. I have two boys, one now in 6th and the other in 3rd. The teachers are fantastic, and there are lots of supportive parents to help out. We feel very lucky to have this school in our neighborhood.

Posted August 24, 2009
I have had nothing but a positive experience for my children at Matthew Turner. We have just finished our first week of the new school year, and the kids couldn't wait to get started! It is definitely not a militaristic atmosphere. There are rules and expectations which are needed to have a structured, safe, learning experience. Any parent who doesn't see the need for this needs to check themselves.

Matthew Turner Elementary School 3

Posted May 09, 2009
I am a parent of three children in this school. I have found this school to be cold, uninformed and downright rude. The teachers I have dealt with are full of superiority and condemnation. There is little understanding and gratefulness for the children or the parental involvement, which is extreme. A few of the teachers are wonderful, but it doesn't make up for the rest. Or the curriculum. It is decidedly militaristic with no genuine concern for your child's welfare or wellbeing. I can only imagine the kind of children the parents who have given such positive reviews are like. If you have any behavior issues at all with your child, conditioning, etc....this is definitely NOT the school for you. There is definitely intolerance for anyone who is not in the 'chosen group'. Yes, this school has higher test scores, but the pressure on the kids is not worth it! Sorry.

Posted May 08, 2009
My son has been at Matthew Turner since kindergarten and we LOVE it. I do not agree with the negative posts by other parents who stated the teachers work well with only the 'highly motivated' children. I work in the classrooms and I have seen some incredible teachers doing an incredible job with ALL kids. I have found some children to be very lazy and sloppy but this isn't the teacher's doing...it has EVERYTHING to do with expectations at home and upbringing. The teachers cannot change these children habits when the parents reinforce bad habits at home. It is up to every parent to work with the teachers and their own child to strive for excellence.

Matthew Turner Elementary School
540 Rose Drive, Benicia, CA  94510
Last modified Matthew Turner Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Matthew Turner Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 34 reviews. Top