534 students|Benicia Unified

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Not enough (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Very effective (1 response)

Matthew Turner Elementary School 1

Posted February 05, 2016
This is an example of a school that has an entirely incompetent, lazy and snobby staff. They cannot follow simple directions and if there is a deadline, don't depend on anyone in the front office to get on the ball. Most of the parents at Matthew Turner are self serving people who are trying to keep up with the Jones' and are worse than the children when it comes to "clique" behavior. They obviously don't care about their children's education because more people would be outraged that their children barely take home 1 piece of homework each week - even in the higher grade levels. This is great for the parents who have their children enrolled in 10 sports and are banking on their kids growing up to be jocks. Most of the intelligent children I know of - their mothers state that their children are bored in class and they spent a lot of time doing "independent reading" in school. There are many parents who like to feel important so they hang around school and pretend they are of law enforcement or teachers. If you're looking for a school who actually cares about your child's education and future as much as you do, you would do well to consider the MANY other options that Benicia has to offer.

Teacher effectiveness: Very ineffective

Posted February 05, 2016
Teachers play favorites (especially one teacher who teaches in Kindergarten) to the kids with parents who have no jobs and hang around the school all day schmoozing with the staff. Teachers are not aware of what goes on in their classrooms behind the scenes among the children.

Develops honesty: Disagree

Posted February 05, 2016
There have been multiple problems including homophobic slurs being tossed around as young as 2nd grade as well as bullying in early grades. There is a "say no to drugs" week, but there is no anti-bullying days or anti-hate days. This damages the integrity of the school structure because if you can't trust the teachers to look after your children while they are there, why send them to Matthew Turner? Your children are not safe in that kind of environment.

Posted February 08, 2014
I have one child at Matthew Turner now and another one who graduated from the same school who is now in middle school. The teachers and school staff are absolutely wonderful. Curriculum is top notch, as evidenced by my middle schooler who is not only breezing through middle school but constantly on honor roll. Personally, I have no problems with the strict attendance, test scores, and lots of parent involvement, etc. All of these things help them get ready for their next stage in life. Early foundation is key. If you don't want your child to excel academically and socially, then this school is not for you. Bravo to Matthew Turner!

Posted September 09, 2012
Excellent school. I moved to Benicia for the schools two years ago and I am very pleased with that choice. A bit about my situation...I have two daughters attending this school. Neither of my kids attended preschool so I was a little concerned about their transition, particularly when the Kindergarten days were extended. I found the teachers were committed to exposing kids to the educational experience and exciting them about learning. I would say both my kids have different strengths and weaknesses but teachers (and my wife and I) worked with them and it paid off. Parent involvement both at school and at home is higher than I anticipated. Expect to be strongly encouraged to volunteer if your child attends MT. I admit, sometimes I joke with other parents that 'I don't remember it being that way when I was a kid' but honestly times have changed and I am over it. Although volunteering is an investment and it's not always easy it results in a strong sense of community here and a lot of that is due to the parental involvement. Parents recognize my kids and we recognize theirs, etc. Last I checked I thought that was a good thing and usually really good things cost a bit.

Posted August 12, 2012
Parents and teachers are very engaged to the benefit of the students. Due to this year's change in principals, I have to rate four starts until the new leadership is established. Past leadership has balanced school funds with curriculum and parental involvement.

Posted April 15, 2011
This school could not be better! Great teachers, great principal. 99.9% of the parents are involved in the extra activities, and a majority of the parents and students come to the extra event held after school or on the weekends. My daughter has learned far more than others her age that are at different schools. If it weren't for this schools performance our only other option would be private school. I would not feel comfortable sending my daughter to any other school in the bay area, and know that she would get the best education possible. Thank you to the staff and other involved parents at this school.

Matthew Turner Elementary School 1

Posted March 25, 2011
I have not been happy with this school. Am looking at other options. Teachers are great but to much emphasis on test scores which creates competitive environment in children.

Posted October 08, 2009
It's a wonderful school. I have two boys, one now in 6th and the other in 3rd. The teachers are fantastic, and there are lots of supportive parents to help out. We feel very lucky to have this school in our neighborhood.

Posted August 24, 2009
I have had nothing but a positive experience for my children at Matthew Turner. We have just finished our first week of the new school year, and the kids couldn't wait to get started! It is definitely not a militaristic atmosphere. There are rules and expectations which are needed to have a structured, safe, learning experience. Any parent who doesn't see the need for this needs to check themselves.

540 Rose Drive, Benicia, CA  94510-3761
Last modified Matthew Turner Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Matthew Turner Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 42 reviews. Top