Berkeley, CA

Posted April 21, 2015
I graduated from Saint Mary's in 2006. With each passing year, I realize how magnificently special that school was. It is diverse and loving and inclusive, in all the best possible ways. I treasure my time there. The teachers especially were a stand out, and I'm grateful I had the opportunity to spread my wings amongst that true forward-thinking, open-minded, open-hearted community.

Posted October 06, 2014
This school is a GEM so far my son is thriving, happy and enjoying learning here with wonderful nurturing caring teachers that are there for our kids to succeed. Amazing school! Happy Mom :-)

Posted August 07, 2014
Wow, I am in complete awe of some of these negative comments! I am a current alumnus and let tell you, I have been BLESSED to have to this beautiful school. Absolutely caring and smart teachers, friendly factually, and best of all, the close community. Education here is challenging and I feel that I am incredibly well equipped for college. To the person who mentioned that Saint Mary's students do not get into selective colleges, let me provide you with some of the ones MANY (not just one or two) our panthers will be attending: Berkeley, Davis, UCLA, Princeton, NYU, BU, Stanford- also, of whom also got accepted to MANY other good schools. Let me tell you this, though, if you are looking at the "schools that will send your kids to America's top 20 colleges," don't forget, your students own input and effort are what gets him into those schools in the first place. Thank you. By the way, visit our beautiful campus if you have the chance, a lot of the information i provided can be accessed in our library.

Saint Mary's College High School 1

Posted May 14, 2014
I cannot, in good conscience, recommend this school. Although there are exceptions, the overall quality of the teaching is poor, and the administration is worse. In some classes, the teachers seem to be making up the curriculum as they go. In others, the teachers seem to be AWOL. All in all, it seems like a bit of a free for all.

Saint Mary's College High School 4

Posted October 22, 2013
Not sure about the July 24, 2013 post. I know families from the graduating class of 2013. I personally know families on scholarship and who paid full price at St. Mary's. Sounds like this parent wants all academics and AP classes and school is all about grades. It's not. If you want a well rounded education and the ability to get into all the UC's, Stanford, Duke, Harvard, Dartmouth, etc., this is the school. I know the kids that got in. And the sports programs are very good. I know another dozen or so kids, with athletic scholarships.

Saint Mary's College High School 2

Posted July 24, 2013
If you are academically inclined and advanced to begin with, this is not the school for you. Especially if you are not black, Hispanic, Filipino or white. That is, unless you have money to donate. More importantly, it will screw your child over when trying to get into a deserving university. School claims they don't have a top 3% ranking and there are limitations here on recommendation letters for very advanced students. The child's performance is solely the basis the school should evaluate and reward appropriately.

Posted October 07, 2010
Transferring to St. Marys was probably the smartest decision in my whole entire life. During the 9th and 10th grades, i attended Moreau Catholic, and to compare the teachers at St. Mary's with them would be a disgrace. The teachers over at St. Mary's actually care about your student IN and OUT of the classroom. I am proud to say I graduated from St. Mary's because when I went there, my GPA went up at least 0.5 points and it's a lot. It means the difference between a 3.0 and a 3.5. The students there are totally fun, and the words clique, do not even exist at St. Marys. But remember no matter where you go. There is bad everywhere. So whoever said there are "derogatory terms, racial cliques, and gossip abound the school." please tell me of a school where there isn't. Oh thats right. St. Mary's. GO PANTHERS.

Saint Mary's College High School 2

Posted December 29, 2009
While I respected the goals of the brothers and the faculty's commitment to education parents should be aware that the student population does not contain these same values. Derogatory terms, racial cliques and gossip abound at the school. If you are seeking a Catholic education there are other schools that create a welcome environment for all and can monitor their students conduct better. My daughter attended for a year and left because of the negative atmosphere. Finally the parent participation is low. It is a small group doing it all with the majority of the the parents who have kids attending not participating in fundraisers but expecting the benefits of the school. Such a shame.

Posted October 20, 2009
I am a Junior at SMCHS and I absolutely love it. All of the teachers support and help me when I need it. The community allows me involved in many clubs and extra curriculars. We have a lot of school spirit and our Student Government really helps and is important to the school. Our arts program is amazing with our theater department producing amazing performances as well as dance, choir, and band. I would recommend this school to anyone.

Posted October 03, 2009
St. Mary's brilliantly strives to educate the 'whole person,' and does so with wisdom and grace. Its community is marked by love and respect.

Saint Mary's College High School
1294 Albina Avenue, Berkeley, CA  94706
Last modified Saint Mary's College High School is a Private school that serves grades 9-12
Saint Mary's College High School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 21 reviews. Top