Public charter
Berkeley, CA

Posted April 30, 2014
My son attends REALM and enjoys it very much. He likes the diversity of the student body and the Teachers are smart and excited about teaching. Since it is a smaller school, students do not fall through the cracks like they might at a large High School. Every Teacher is available after school to assist a student and are often available before as well as during lunch. There are student clubs, electives, field trips, dances, etc. Sports are limited but growing every year.

Posted April 30, 2014
Realm truly lives up to its motto: Love/Grit/Action. The staff is amazing. They take the time to recognize my son, help him cultivate his gifts, and guide him in the areas where he needs support. In turn, my son feels cared for and has the utmost respect for these adults. Their expectations are clear, which creates a safe and structured environment. Behavior issues are dealt with swiftly and students are held accountable for their actions. Overall, the student body is a really nice group of kids. The lines of parent/teacher communication are open, and parent involvement is welcomed. The curriculum and methods of teaching feel fresh and engaging. They work hard but also have fun. Graduation requirements are rigorous. I have no doubt that my son will be prepared for college. I have to admit that it seemed a little risky to opt into the early stages of a brand new, rapidly growing school but we couldn't be happier with our decision. We feel so fortunate to be a part of the Realm family!

Posted April 30, 2014
Love Realm high school the teachers are great , i love the fact that is a small school and the teachers do care for each students to succeed and become someone after they graduate they really push the students to get good grades , i get emails if my child is missing work from each of his teachers , i get notified weekley for each of his classes from the school how hes doing and as a parent im able to be on top of my child grades rather than waiting for a report card in the mail.i cant wait for my other child to graduate middle school and attend Realm high i know my children will succeed with the help of these wonderful teachers .Realm i can thank you enough for a wonderful job your're doing .

Posted April 30, 2014
When we started looking at high school's for my daughter, I was concerned about her transition from a Catholic elementary/middle school to a large public high school. I didn't think she'd do well in that kind of environment, and I wanted to find a place where class sizes were small, teachers could offer one-on-one time with students, and where she would be challenged. I found all of that and more at REALM.

Posted April 30, 2014
We applied to several charter schools last year and ended up way down on the wait list for each one that we applied to. We weren't happy with the public options and private schools were too expensive. I finally started looking a little further from home and stumbled onto REALM. The school is young and we knew this going in. There are sometimes hiccups in communication and construction dragged on forever, but it's all to be expected as they get good systems in place. The teachers are young and excited about teaching. The staff is diligent and hard working. Mrs. Williams, the principal, is fair and personable. You see her during every break talking to the students and she seems to know everyone by name. The class sizes are reasonable and some of the students are sometimes rowdy, but for many of them this is their first year at the school, so they're adjusting. I think that by next year things will calm down. I'm looking forward to seeing what this school can do!

Posted April 30, 2014
We discovered Realm after my creative sensitive daughter had been bullied at other schools. The dedication of the teachers and staff is unsurpassed - everyone works by the mission statement "love-grit-action." Since the staff promote a learning environment of curiosity, design and motivation - the students follow. As the high school became much larger once the beautiful new building opened this year we were afraid the spirit of the school would change - but it has not. The HS could use more parent participation but the middle school parent group is very acitve. Diverse students come from all over the Bay area and beyond. Go see for yourself!

Posted October 10, 2013
Realm is unique. The core foundation is based on creating community, thinking clearly and creatively and working outside the box when the box becomes the obstacle. Classes are based on project concepts and teachers are geared towards teaching kids in a way each can learn and not by wrote memorization or mindless assignments. The school is relatively new, this being its third year. It continues to thrive in what appears at first glance to be organized chaos as it continues to grow (two new spaces have been built in two years) and solidify. Having gone through the normal growing pains in terms of space, resources, logistics, etc, it continues to stay focused. For us, REALM High School is like a breath of fresh air. My son is dyslexic and battle weary from previous schools where his learning style and limitations were not understood and as a result he was punished for "noncompliance." The principal, staff and teachers at REALM have embraced my son for who he is and as a result he is now thriving. I look forward to his graduation next year and to the continued success of REALM.

Realm Charter High School
2023 8th Street, Berkeley, CA  94710
Last modified Realm Charter High School is a Charter school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 3 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Realm Charter High School Rating: 5 out of 5 based on 7 reviews. Top