Berkeley, CA
Before care: Yes

Posted December 02, 2013
This is hands down the BEST school my daughter has attended. The BEST teachers and administration that I have ever dealt with. I am a very visible parent when it comes to my daughter and I have no problems having my questions answered and/or addressed. My daughter is very soft spoken, she has a sweet spirit which of course in some schools can be a very easy target for bullying and was bullied at her previous school. Her teacher prior to moving to Jefferson was horrible, she taught like she would rather be somewhere else, but her degree choice stuck her there. My daughter came after Christmas Break and right off the bat, Mr. Keller was great and continued to be great the duration of my daughter's fourth grade year. No complaints whatsoever only praise. This school is a big family of love and education. The children are being taught to respect and find greatness in differences. I love this school and I am very sad that this is my child's last year here.

Posted September 23, 2013
Jefferson elementary has a tightly knit community of educators, students and families. Teachers, school staff and volunteers go above and beyond to ensure all students are cared for and a love of learning is truly nurtured here.

Posted September 20, 2013
Jefferson has an amazing staff. During career day they put up posters about the colleges they went to. I was surprised at what an overeducated group of teachers we have. They are really dedicated to making sure that every child gets what they need to achieve their best.

Posted September 18, 2013
Amazing school. The teachers are all excellent. The JefferSons and daughters program that helps families in need with things that make kids feel part of the school (holiday costumes, back to school backpacks) so kids feel great being part of the school. We love it.

Jefferson Elementary School 4

Posted September 13, 2013
Fabulous teachers and community. Strong parental involvement and excellent range of PTA-run activities and after school classes. Principal is obviously dedicated, but often does not appear open to input from either parents or the PTA.

Posted September 12, 2013
I have two children at Jefferson -- a first and fourth grader. It's a small school with a great teacher and parent community, and deep commitment from both! The teachers are really committed, and work hard to meet the needs of the kids and to be sure kids are having fun in the process. The school is under construction this year, but that doesn't seem to have dampened the spirits of teachers who are working hard to keep things 'normal.'

Jefferson Elementary School 4

Posted September 11, 2013
This is a really good local Berkeley public elementary school. The teachers are great, the kids are happy and engaged and the sense of community is strong. The only downside this year is that some of the school is blocked off due to construction. But, that is going well. Next year when the new library and classrooms are ready it will be really great.

Posted September 11, 2013
I don't fail to be impressed by the quality of education my girls are receiving at Jefferson. I went to a fancy-pants private school when I was their age, rated one of the best in the state; I mean it when I say that I'm pretty sure my girls are receiving an education that is every bit its equivalent, if not its better. Every teacher we've had (one girl has been there 6 years; the other has been there three) has been impressive; engaged and engaging. You would be hard-pressed to find a more committed principal than Maggie Riddle. Lastly, parents are highly involved and lend support the the Jefferson community in hundreds of ways, big and small. We feel extremely lucky.

Posted September 11, 2013
Due to a spread in ages for our three children and moves in and out of state, this is actually the fourth Berkeley elementary school at which I've been a parent. It's only been a few weeks, but we've been extremely impressed with the quality teaching staff, as well as the overall morale and just the good feeling on site. We're very happy to have landed here!

Posted September 11, 2013
Teachers are very caring and form a supportive community. There is a healthy PTA and the school actively works to address the opportunity/achievement gap. All in all, it's an excellent school. The only concern I have is that this year there is a large construction project that will disrupt the schoolyard. But the staff seem to be making every effort to keep it from affecting instruction.

Jefferson Elementary School
1400 Ada Street, Berkeley, CA  94702
Last modified Jefferson Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Jefferson Elementary School Rating: 5 out of 5 based on 39 reviews. Top