Malcolm X Elementary School

Public | K-5 | 535 students

Our school is best known for our integrated Arts and Academics program.

Living in Berkeley

Situated in an inner city neighborhood. The median home value is $451,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,390.

Posted October 28, 2013

Malcolm X is simply amazing. I feel honored everyday that my children are able to attend a school with both a strong arts and academic focus and such a wonderful teaching staff.

Posted October 28, 2013

Malcolm X is a wonderful school with a diverse community of students, parents, and staff. We have had consistently great teachers for our three years there so far. When you talk to parents at other schools, you almost always hear them say there are one or two teachers at the school who are less than wonderful. I have honestly never heard such a complaint at Malcolm X. I really appreciate the music, art, and gardening pull-out programs my kids get, and that the class sizes for the lower grades are kept at 20 kids. Overall we love Malcom X!

Posted October 27, 2013

Malcolm X is a fantastic school. What sets it apart are three things: (1) the quality of the teachers; (2) the involvement of the parents; and (3) the quantity and quality of the "extras" (music, arts, dance, drama, gardening, conflict manager program). In addition, Malcolm X does a fantastic job teaching kids kindness, emotional management, and other social/emotional skills. It is a big, beautiful physical plant (including a 4,000 sq ft garden and a great rock garden space for climbing, plus a large yard, lots of grass, great playground spaces.), with large classrooms and community spaces. It is a large, diverse school, but it also has an intimate community feel because of all of the involvement by parents, and the dedicated, communicative staff and teachers.

Posted October 25, 2013

We just started at Malcolm in September with a kindergartner and we couldn't be happier. Looking forward to the next 7 years (when our younger daughter goes through, too!). Malcolm was our first choice (Berkeley has a lottery system) and we have already had our expectations surpassed. They put a huge value on diversity and understanding, and every teacher and the principal are highly involved. Already there have been several community events and my 5 yo feels like part of something larger than herself (the whole point, I think, of a public school experience). Nothing I would change. People are saying "within the confines of a public school" and I don't know what they mean. We wouldn't rather be anywhere else.

Posted October 25, 2013

Malcolm X Elementary has been a great fit for our son and by extension - our whole family. By incorporating various arts practices like painting, cooking, and gardening into the academic curriculum, Malcolm X creates a unique and balanced approach to learning that engages students wholly. Recently, the school has implemented a new learning module called "Toolbox" that helps support social/emotional growth among students. We've all benefited from these 'tools" and continue to discuss and use them at home. Great community-minded school and supportive learning environment. We love Malcolm X!

Posted October 24, 2013

I have a new kindergartener at MX. The transition to a big school from a small preschool was an adjustment, but with the gentle beginnings that MX does to fit the kids with a balanced group of classmates & a teacher who is a good fit for the child really helped. Only 2 months into school & my daughter is blossoming into a confident new reader while making many friends. The school is large, but the close knit community of very caring, friendly & generous families make the school seem cozy & homey. The parents really go the extra mile at this MX to make the experience for all the best it can be. The extra school activities at MX really bring a lot to the table by engaging the students in a variety of ways. I love that teaching comes in many forms to hopefully get the educational material to sink in one way or another depending on the child's learning style. MX is also doing a wonderful job in fostering kindness & understanding between the students. It warms my heart to be in the classroom & see the children actively lifting each other up with compliments, completely on their own, without coaxing. The children are sweet, challenged & fostered here at MX- so happy to be here!

Posted October 24, 2013

Malcolm X is an amazing school! Our son is attending kindergarten there this year, and we have been highly impressed with every aspect of the school, from the teachers, to the staff, to the community, everything about the school has exceeded our expectations.

Posted October 24, 2013

Malcolm X Elementary is a fantastic school! Our son likes it since the very first day. We were, like most parents probably do, worried about the transition from preschool to kindergarten, but the teachers did a great job to make the kids feel "home". What I really like about Malcolm X is the diversity of students, and that it is really a lively place for many people, be it children, teachers, or parents. Everyone does his or her best to make this a wonderful community. There are also many ways for parents to get involved. I think within the limits of a public school, people at Malcolm X do everything possible to make this a great school, and a great place to be for our kids. What I love in particular are all the activities beyond the core curriculum, like music, cooking, gardening, drama, etc. that make being a student at Malcolm X an unique and wonderful experience. Thank you!

Posted October 24, 2013

My daughter is in her 4th year here (she started here in first grade after completing kindergarten at a charter school that closed abruptly) and I have been consistently impressed by the quality of the teachers, staff, and parent community. Everyone here is committed to kindness, inclusion, diversity, and treating the kids like human beings. In addition, you get the benefits of the Berkeley Public Schools gardening program, plus art, dance, drama and music. The parent community is quite active and does several fundraisers a year to make sure that the school has enough funds and supplies. My daughter is thriving here and I couldn't be happier. Can't think of anything that would improve it except for maybe a bigger budget to bring the cooking classes back (CA state budget cuts), the kids miss them.

Posted October 24, 2013

This school is a great school I think. When we moved to Berkeley, my daughter was sent to the 1st grade here. School has many PTA enrichment programs for the students. In addition, teachers seem very helpful and nice. My daughter has homework everyday, which keeps her in the right track and good studying habit!

Posted October 24, 2013

My daughter just started kindergarten here at Malcolm X but what I have seen so far is great. Her teacher Ms. KC is very sweet, patient, and dedicated. My daughter gets to do dance, music, gardening, and PE mostly due to the excellent PTA. She loves the 1-hour after school enrichment classes such as Fairy Tales Dance. I really love the school-wide Toolbox program which encourages emotional development. My daughter uses her "breathing tool" and even reminds me to use it when I get upset with her. There are a lot of community building events - potlucks, PTA meetings, etc. Unfortunately my daughter isn't excited about school but I blame that on the nature of public school in America these days. Kids should be running around, playing, and learning more organically but I digress. As far as public schools go, Malcolm X seems great.

Posted October 24, 2013

Great community, very active PTA, excellent teachers and staff. It's getting pretty big and community events have to be limited to one grade or we don't fit in the auditorium. Amazing integration of arts and different learning modalities into curricula.

Posted October 24, 2013

Malcom X is a great school. Although on the physically large-side it has it's advantages (great garden, performing arts program, lots of friends to choose from, etc.) and disadvantages (4-5 classes per grade, intimidating for those that require quiet attention and intimate spaces). Overall the teachers are excellent and work closely together. With a long history of excellent management, the staff is charismatic and caring. The parent community, if you choose to get involved, is very engaged. It's a Berkeley public school so all those wonderful and negative elements apply too, but by in large - thumbs up.

Posted October 24, 2013

Our daughter is a fourth grader at Malcolm X and has truly blossomed. She has been supported while being offered challenged at the same time. The teachers have been very sensitive to her as an individual (a special shout out to her 2nd and 4th grade teachers -- thank you!). We are impressed by both the focus on core curriculum as well as enrichment. The gardening program is irreplaceable (where else would kids eat a 'weed burrito' -- a weedo -- and swear it was the best food ever!). When we saw the school first we were concerned by the size. But, we've never felt other than welcome and part of the commuinty here. The parent involvement is one of the best things about the school (always wish I could do more -- thank you room parents and other parent-volunteers!)

Posted October 24, 2013

My son is in 1st grade, and I absolutely love this school. He started here in Kindergarten, and I can still remember my eyes filling up with tears during the Kindergarten open house when we were still deciding which school was going to be our first choice. I was filled with tears of joy as I saw the amazing community that the school had. I was impressed by the commitment and dedication of all of the school teachers from every grade level. I am moved to tears during every single school event because there is just so much love and community throughout the school. I am so grateful for our experience thus far, and can't wait for my younger two children to begin school here at Malcolm X.

Posted October 24, 2013

Malcolm X is a wonderful elementary school and is about more than just high academic standards. Malcolm x is dedicated to providing a rich variety of experiences including (arts, drama, dance, music, gardening and cooking) to each student. It also has a multicultural student population. The school teach's all students conflict resolution skills. I am so happy my daughter is fortunate enough to go so such a well rounded and loving school.

Posted August 19, 2013

This is an excellent school! This will be our family's 7th year at Malcolm X, and we have had almost entirely positive experiences. Teachers and staff are experienced, loving people who want to be there. Classroom conditions are right for kids to learn. The variety and quality of "extras" like music, art, cooking, gardening, drama, dance, etc. are wonderful. The community is inviting and involved.

Posted August 9, 2013

We love this school! The teachers are dedicated, the community is very involved and loving. The arts programs are fantastic- drama, dance, and music. And the garden space and teacher have created a special place and connection of my daughter to nature. Thank you!

Posted July 18, 2013

The passion and dedication of the teachers, principal and parents is truly outstanding! The commitment to non-core enrichment curricula (music, cooking, gardening, drama, etc) rivals private schools. I am thrilled at the anti-bullying policy that has engendered respect between students and an effective conflict resolution approach.

Posted June 1, 2013

I am a grandma of two students at Malcolm X and volunteer in the school. The teaching quality is exemplary. Artistic expression is highly valued. The teacher's high moral and cooperation with each other makes a big difference. This is a school where teachers want to work and it is reflected in their teaching.

This school's

(2012)

8 / 10

6 / 10

API Growth scores over time

Did this school meet the API goal this year?
  • This school met the state goal of 800.

API Growth scores by subgroup

Did this school meet all the API goals for student subgroups this year?
  • This school did not meet all student subgroup API targets for 2013

Change from 2012 to 2013
API Statewide Rank
(2012)

8 / 10

API Statewide Rank (2012)

6 / 10

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 56% in 2013.

78 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

78 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 46% in 2013.

75 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 66% in 2013.

75 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 65% in 2013.

92 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 72% in 2013.

92 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 60% in 2013.

53 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

54 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 57% in 2013.

53 students were tested at this school in 2013.

All Students75%

This school District averageState average
First-year teachers 4%N/AN/A
Source: Civil Rights Data Collection, 2011-2012

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Art teacher(s)
Dance teacher(s)
Gardening teacher(s)
Librarian/media specialist(s)
Music teacher(s)
Reading specialist(s)
School psychologist
School social worker/counselors(s)
Speech and language therapist(s)
Foreign languages spoken by school staff Spanish
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by a school official.

Awards

Academic awards received in the past 3 years
  • California Distinguished School (2012)
Community service awards received in the past 3 years
  • Ashoka Changemaker School (2013)

Special education / special needs

Level of special education programming offered
  • Speech and language therapist(s)

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Science lab

School start time
  • 8:10 am
School end time
  • 2:20 am
Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • After school
  • Alexander Marcos Hunt
  • Coed
Is there an application process?
Fax number
  • (510) 644-6297

Instructional and/or curriculum models used

• Arts Integration
  • Standards-based
Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Arts (all)
  • Music
  • Performing arts
  • Visual arts
Bi-lingual or language immersion programs offered

Level of special education programming offered
Foreign languages taught
Level of ESL/ELL programming offered

• Art teacher(s)
  • Librarian/media specialist(s)
  • Music teacher(s)
  • Reading specialist(s)
  • School psychologist
  • School social worker/counselors(s)
Foreign languages spoken by staff
  • Spanish
Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Schoolwide program (SWP)
Transportation options
  • Accessible via public transportation
  • School shares bus/van with other schools
  • Art room

• Dance
  • Drama
Media arts

Student clubs

Clubs (distinct from courses)
  • Green Team
  • Peace News Reporters
  • Peer Conflict Managers
  • Recycling club

School culture

Dress Code
  • Neither uniforms nor dress code
Bullying policy
  • This school has a bullying and/or cyber bullying policy in place.
  • Attend parent nights
  • Chaperone school trips
  • Join PTO/PTA
  • Organize cultural events
  • Organize fundraising events (school auction, bake sales, etc.)
  • Serve on school improvement team or governance council
  • Volunteer in the classroom

This school accepts applications on a

rolling basis

Apply now

Planning ahead

Students typically attend these schools after graduating
Willard Middle School