Berkeley, CA

Posted October 28, 2013
Malcolm X is simply amazing. I feel honored everyday that my children are able to attend a school with both a strong arts and academic focus and such a wonderful teaching staff.

Posted October 28, 2013
Malcolm X is a wonderful school with a diverse community of students, parents, and staff. We have had consistently great teachers for our three years there so far. When you talk to parents at other schools, you almost always hear them say there are one or two teachers at the school who are less than wonderful. I have honestly never heard such a complaint at Malcolm X. I really appreciate the music, art, and gardening pull-out programs my kids get, and that the class sizes for the lower grades are kept at 20 kids. Overall we love Malcom X!

Posted October 27, 2013
Malcolm X is a fantastic school. What sets it apart are three things: (1) the quality of the teachers; (2) the involvement of the parents; and (3) the quantity and quality of the "extras" (music, arts, dance, drama, gardening, conflict manager program). In addition, Malcolm X does a fantastic job teaching kids kindness, emotional management, and other social/emotional skills. It is a big, beautiful physical plant (including a 4,000 sq ft garden and a great rock garden space for climbing, plus a large yard, lots of grass, great playground spaces.), with large classrooms and community spaces. It is a large, diverse school, but it also has an intimate community feel because of all of the involvement by parents, and the dedicated, communicative staff and teachers.

Posted October 25, 2013
We just started at Malcolm in September with a kindergartner and we couldn't be happier. Looking forward to the next 7 years (when our younger daughter goes through, too!). Malcolm was our first choice (Berkeley has a lottery system) and we have already had our expectations surpassed. They put a huge value on diversity and understanding, and every teacher and the principal are highly involved. Already there have been several community events and my 5 yo feels like part of something larger than herself (the whole point, I think, of a public school experience). Nothing I would change. People are saying "within the confines of a public school" and I don't know what they mean. We wouldn't rather be anywhere else.

Posted October 25, 2013
Malcolm X Elementary has been a great fit for our son and by extension - our whole family. By incorporating various arts practices like painting, cooking, and gardening into the academic curriculum, Malcolm X creates a unique and balanced approach to learning that engages students wholly. Recently, the school has implemented a new learning module called "Toolbox" that helps support social/emotional growth among students. We've all benefited from these 'tools" and continue to discuss and use them at home. Great community-minded school and supportive learning environment. We love Malcolm X!

Malcolm X Elementary School 4

Posted October 24, 2013
I have a new kindergartener at MX. The transition to a big school from a small preschool was an adjustment, but with the gentle beginnings that MX does to fit the kids with a balanced group of classmates & a teacher who is a good fit for the child really helped. Only 2 months into school & my daughter is blossoming into a confident new reader while making many friends. The school is large, but the close knit community of very caring, friendly & generous families make the school seem cozy & homey. The parents really go the extra mile at this MX to make the experience for all the best it can be. The extra school activities at MX really bring a lot to the table by engaging the students in a variety of ways. I love that teaching comes in many forms to hopefully get the educational material to sink in one way or another depending on the child's learning style. MX is also doing a wonderful job in fostering kindness & understanding between the students. It warms my heart to be in the classroom & see the children actively lifting each other up with compliments, completely on their own, without coaxing. The children are sweet, challenged & fostered here at MX- so happy to be here!

Posted October 24, 2013
Malcolm X is an amazing school! Our son is attending kindergarten there this year, and we have been highly impressed with every aspect of the school, from the teachers, to the staff, to the community, everything about the school has exceeded our expectations.

Posted October 24, 2013
Malcolm X Elementary is a fantastic school! Our son likes it since the very first day. We were, like most parents probably do, worried about the transition from preschool to kindergarten, but the teachers did a great job to make the kids feel "home". What I really like about Malcolm X is the diversity of students, and that it is really a lively place for many people, be it children, teachers, or parents. Everyone does his or her best to make this a wonderful community. There are also many ways for parents to get involved. I think within the limits of a public school, people at Malcolm X do everything possible to make this a great school, and a great place to be for our kids. What I love in particular are all the activities beyond the core curriculum, like music, cooking, gardening, drama, etc. that make being a student at Malcolm X an unique and wonderful experience. Thank you!

Posted October 24, 2013
My daughter is in her 4th year here (she started here in first grade after completing kindergarten at a charter school that closed abruptly) and I have been consistently impressed by the quality of the teachers, staff, and parent community. Everyone here is committed to kindness, inclusion, diversity, and treating the kids like human beings. In addition, you get the benefits of the Berkeley Public Schools gardening program, plus art, dance, drama and music. The parent community is quite active and does several fundraisers a year to make sure that the school has enough funds and supplies. My daughter is thriving here and I couldn't be happier. Can't think of anything that would improve it except for maybe a bigger budget to bring the cooking classes back (CA state budget cuts), the kids miss them.

Posted October 24, 2013
This school is a great school I think. When we moved to Berkeley, my daughter was sent to the 1st grade here. School has many PTA enrichment programs for the students. In addition, teachers seem very helpful and nice. My daughter has homework everyday, which keeps her in the right track and good studying habit!

Malcolm X Elementary School
1731 Prince Street, Berkeley, CA  94703
Last modified Malcolm X Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Malcolm X Elementary School Rating: 5 out of 5 based on 50 reviews. Top