Berkeley, CA
Before care: Yes

Thousand Oaks Elementary School 4

Posted October 09, 2013
Thousand Oaks Elementary School is a great public school with amazing teachers, dedicated staff, a new principal and engaged parents. Students at our school are encouraged be the very best they can be. Talented teachers lead our children through all aspects of education. Parents participation in PTA fundraisers and events help pay for activities not necessarily available without their direct support. All in all Thousand Oaks is a great public school, that works tirelessly to balance the needs of the few and the needs of the whole. The basic tenants of all Berkeley schools; be safe be respectful be responsible, be an ally create a space that is open, kind and consistent making Thousand Oaks a really great school for our kids.

Thousand Oaks Elementary School 4

Posted September 17, 2013
The teachers at Thousand Oaks are truly happy to be there, which speaks volumes about the school community. I feel like every child is treated with respect and warmth. They work hard to meet state standards while fitting in positive experiences for the children like field trips, "Feliz Fridays", and holiday parties. The PTA aims to raise about $100K per year which means there are community activities going on all the time. Unfortunately, Thousand Oaks has not met the yearly academic progress goals over the past couple years, so it is a "Program Improvement" school. We have a new principal this year, and I look forward to increased progress.

Posted September 13, 2013
We've had a great expereince at Thousand Oaks! My daughter has been challenged and supported since she started here, and her teachers have been excellent. While I had hoped for a school closer to our home, I'm happy we landed at TO.

Posted September 13, 2013
My daughter started third grade in Thousand Oaks without knowing any English. Everything has gone really well. Teacher has taken good care of her, she likes to go there, and she has learned English quicker than we ever thought. We are very happy with the school so far.

Posted September 13, 2013
Our family has been at Thousand Oaks for five years and we've had great experiences every year. Thousand Oaks has fantastic teachers, wonderful staff members, and (thus) happy students! They have a great music program (singing) starting in K that focuses on empathy and inclusion. There is an active PTA, which puts on lots of fun events throughout the year, including a school-wide science fair and a small-town-America-style Halloween parade.

Posted September 13, 2013
Our daughter just started Kindergarten at Thousand Oaks, and we couldn't be happier so far. The teacher's are very approachable and nurturing. The after school program is very affordable and there is an additional Spanish program which our daughter will also be attending. We've only started to get involved in the PTO, but so far, so good. The parents are all very caring and seem to be very engaged in the overall success of the school. Net/net - we feel great about Thousand Oaks and are happy to be sending our daughter there. It has a great neighborhood school feeling.

Posted September 13, 2013
I am thrilled that my daughter is attending Thousand Oaks. TO has a stunning campus- one of the most beautiful campuses in the BUSD. The rooms are filled with light and look out onto the grassy play area (which is quite large). The staff are wonderful, and she has fabulous teacher, and we are excited about a new principal (Sept 2013). The amout of parent involvement is remarkable.

Posted September 13, 2013
I am the first time parent of a thousand oaks kindergartner. This is a new experience for me all around as this is my oldest child. L's teacher is nuturing, kind, and an excellent teacher. I've also been very happy with the leadership of our new principle and with the community at large. I see the beginning of wonderful friendships for my child and for our family.

Posted October 28, 2012
My granddaughter has said that she loves every teacher she's had, from K-4. She's been saying that every year has been her best year. Her parents and I agree on the quality of each year. The quality of the PTA is excellent and the new principal this year seems to be excellent, too. My granddaughter just told me that not only will she be getting a report card/parent-teacher conference in a week, but also she will have to grade herself on being thoughtful to others, etc. I don't know if it's the whole fourth grade who will be doing this, all of the upper grades or just her class, but I am HIGHLY impressed that they will have to be introspective about their actions as human beings.

Posted March 22, 2012
Berkeley's only public elementary school to host an annual Science Fair! All students, K-5, participate in this non-competitive, but highly creative and festive event. With science funds slashed elsewhere, we love that science takes center stage at Thousand Oaks right alongside its excellent math, language arts, and arts enrichment programs and curricula. Outstanding teachers are the secret of this wonderful school. And a bonus: the campus is beautiful, the only BUSD school that is also a Berkeley park.

Thousand Oaks Elementary School
840 Colusa Avenue, Berkeley, CA  94707
Last modified Thousand Oaks Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 7 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Thousand Oaks Elementary School Rating: 5 out of 5 based on 24 reviews. Top