Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Disagree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)

Teacher effectiveness: Strongly disagree

First teacher couldn't last the first semester, second teacher can't finish out second semester. Self explanitory

Amount of homework: Disagree

There's really none so far as I can tell. I remember sitting for hours doing homework in elementary school and it paid off

Develops character: Strongly disagree

The school only caters to a certain political agenda. For parents who live in Berkeley and soak up this kind of liberal garbage, they think it's great. For a parent who agreed to let his child attend the school, it's disgusting. Catering to the multiplicity of minority interests doesn't serve the greater good, it only seeks to further divide by taking out a common core that previously bound folks together. If you don't agree with the political agendas of the staff, you are outcast. It does nothing in the way of creating smarter, more educated children.

I am really disappointed that they have gone through not one but two kindergarten teachers for my son's class in less than a year and he will have subs to finish out the year. As kindergarten is a child's introduction to formal education, this really is a disruption to their learning at a critical juncture. As my son lives in two different households I was really hoping that Washington would provide him with stability and consistency, but that has not been the case. What is the problem with Washington being able to retain teachers? It seems that their agenda is more to indoctrinate the children with short sighted political agendas that they can't even comprehend such as posting black lives matter posters on the windows, support syrian refugees on the door, and pride parades. Maybe if they focused more on genuine formal education, it would attract and retain better talent rather than hiring only folks who support a narrow sociopolitical agenda and put personal objectives before those of the children they were hired to educate. That personality type is flaky to begin with an no surprise they leave mid year. When I reported to the school that my son had been physically abused by his mother and I had to pull him out of class to be interviewed by the police, the response from the teacher and from the attendance lady was only to advise me and his mother of our mutual right to take the kids out of school. There was no concern for his well being or follow up to what happened. This place is a joke and the children deserve better.

Amount of homework: Disagree

The students are expected to complete 10 minutes per grade per night on homework. Add in up to 30 plus minutes a night for reading and it adds up. The time expectation on homework contradicts the recommended bed times. It's difficult to get your child in bed by 8 (as the school recommends for 4th graders) when they have to eat, bathe and do homework between 6 and 8.

Develops character: Neutral

There have been incidents of bullying at the school. Efforts to address this focus un using the emotional toolbox to regulate interactions but it does not seem to be working very well. There are also parental cliques that make it undesirable to volunteer at school functions and fundraising events.

Things were fantastic during our K and 1st grade years. 2nd grade was not as great due to lack of responsiveness in regards to our concerns with our child's math performance. The teacher told us it was lack of focus and effort. 3rd grade was even more frustrating with a teacher who was overwhelmed with 2 or 3 students with persistent behavioral problems and no support. Our child fell further back in math and we were again told that it was lack of focus and effort because our child was engaged and excelled at all other subjects. Seems obvious now that the lack of engagement should have been a red flag, but the teachers ignored it. Now we have to go through the process of having our child evaluated for a learning difference and not getting the support we would expect from the current teacher. Teachers have also been reluctant to collaborate with each other within grade cohorts, and they have been somewhat unreceptive to incorporating enrichment classes into the curriculum, so some enrichment gets cancelled because there is not enough instruction time for core subjects. The new principal has a solid vision but she is now the 3rd principal in 5 years. So I don't expect much to change unless it looks like she's going to be around for a while.

Washington is a relatively large school with 3-4 classes at each grade level. As student population has grown the school has struggled to keep up. For example, lunch has to be broken into three shifts and kids only have 15 minutes to stand in line for food, sit and eat amid loud chaos. The facilities are older. The pro of this is that the classrooms are bigger than some of the other Berkeley schools. The con is that some classes are held across the street in portables forcing kids to cross the street multiple times in a day and everything is a little worn. The teachers are good (with a couple exceptions) and care about teaching and mentoring. There are a number of teachers who are also parents. The principal has only been there a year but comes with a good reputation. Science, gardening and cooking, music, and art are taught by specialized teachers. The is a dedicated PE teacher who is also in the playground for recess. Parents are generally involved. The student body is very diverse drawing kids from throughout Berkeley.

The Washington principal and staff don't spend a lot of time promoting the school, and instead are doing their job, which is why you won't see 100 reviews all submitted on the same day from an obvious PR effort. The rating on this site does not reflect the current school or enthusiasm for this school. Here's what you need to know about the school: * Wonderful proximity to UC Berkeley, BHS, downtown, etc. allows for amazing community support and field trip opportunities. My daughter had really bright UC Berkeley students coming in every week to teach math. When she was younger, BHS students came and read with her. The school has a great program where SFSU students getting their teacher credentials come in on an almost full time basis and provide teacher support. It's all about teacher support and ratios and this school has great programs and doesn't just rely on parent support. * Committed, motivated, active parents. We also have a new principal and the momentum is great to take a really good school & make it even better. * Great extras---dedicated, long-term PE teacher, gardening, movement, Mosaic, counselors, art, science, swimming at the local YMCA (!), etc., etc, etc.

Berkeley schools are great. My daughter was transferred into this school when the principal at John Muir refused to handle a bullying situation effectively (or at all... they stuck my kid in the same class as her bully from the previous year who tortured her regularly). The principal at Washington was very open, kind, and was a great communicator. The teachers and parents are very accessible. There was always someone available to talk to if needed. My daughter - who was in 2nd grade - had pretty sloppy handwriting, and her teacher Mr. Tubbs was very patient and helpful. I once walked in unannounced and saw him working with three kids helping them correct their spelling and clean up their handwriting. I wish we never left. I'm a single parent and was going to school full-time, waiting for financial aid. It was taking too long, and when I finally got it, no one would rent to me (I assume because I was a single parent and a student and not a "professional") and we ended homeless. We packed up and went to Florida to stay with my parents and it's been hellish ever since. Being in the schools here in Florida really put things into perspective (as if I needed a reminder).

Last modified Washington Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.