Berkeley, CA
Before care: Yes

Washington Elementary School 4

Posted August 30, 2014
Washington is a relatively large school with 3-4 classes at each grade level. As student population has grown the school has struggled to keep up. For example, lunch has to be broken into three shifts and kids only have 15 minutes to stand in line for food, sit and eat amid loud chaos. The facilities are older. The pro of this is that the classrooms are bigger than some of the other Berkeley schools. The con is that some classes are held across the street in portables forcing kids to cross the street multiple times in a day and everything is a little worn. The teachers are good (with a couple exceptions) and care about teaching and mentoring. There are a number of teachers who are also parents. The principal has only been there a year but comes with a good reputation. Science, gardening and cooking, music, and art are taught by specialized teachers. The is a dedicated PE teacher who is also in the playground for recess. Parents are generally involved. The student body is very diverse drawing kids from throughout Berkeley.

Posted February 05, 2013
Berkeley schools are great. My daughter was transferred into this school when the principal at John Muir refused to handle a bullying situation effectively (or at all... they stuck my kid in the same class as her bully from the previous year who tortured her regularly). The principal at Washington was very open, kind, and was a great communicator. The teachers and parents are very accessible. There was always someone available to talk to if needed. My daughter - who was in 2nd grade - had pretty sloppy handwriting, and her teacher Mr. Tubbs was very patient and helpful. I once walked in unannounced and saw him working with three kids helping them correct their spelling and clean up their handwriting. I wish we never left. I'm a single parent and was going to school full-time, waiting for financial aid. It was taking too long, and when I finally got it, no one would rent to me (I assume because I was a single parent and a student and not a "professional") and we ended homeless. We packed up and went to Florida to stay with my parents and it's been hellish ever since. Being in the schools here in Florida really put things into perspective (as if I needed a reminder).

Washington Elementary School 4

Posted June 04, 2012
Overall we've been very happy at Washington. Our child was in the Hi5 program this year and there were a few bumps but the teacher was outstanding, very responsive, open and available. The school overall is very nice, great location.

Posted March 07, 2012
My son is in 1st grade, and thriving at Washington. The teachers do a terrific job of challenging and supporting students with a range of abilities. There are lots of great enrichment activities - music, art, p.e. gardening, library, cooking. The culture of the school is really nice - from the way the kids treat each other on the yard, to the way the parents interact, to the way that the principal and teachers care about the kids and families. Washington gets overlooked because the building is a bit old, but it's referred to as the "hidden gem" by people in the district, and with good reason.

Posted April 20, 2010
We've been at Washington for two years, and I can report that our first grader loves school, is eager to get up and go every day, and is learning at a ferocious rate. He has a wonderfully diverse set of friends, has learned reading skills we couldn't imagine for him two years ago, and comes home with the most fantastic knowledge learned in his gardening, art, music, and many other enrichment classes. We love Washington!

Posted April 14, 2010
I love Washington School so much because of it's diversity and caring children, parents, and caring & dedicated staff, and principal.

Washington Elementary School 0

Posted April 14, 2010
Our family has been at Washington School for several years. We are consistently impressed by the dedicated teaching staff and Principal Kimball. Our kids enjoy Wash.'s special programs: music, art, gardening, cooking, and more! The after school programs are equally impressive... the kids can choose from a variety of enrichments: leather crafts, dance, science, art, chess, and more. .. In the age of education spending cuts, Washington School is an Oasis. .. Keep up the great work!

Washington Elementary School 3

Posted April 11, 2010
If you really want to know how well any school functions, attend the school's School Site Council. That's where you get a much better picture of how effective the principal is, how collaborative teachers and parents are with each other, and how decisions get made.

Posted February 12, 2010

Posted October 30, 2009
Dedicated principal, engaged parents, amazing couch Don, garden, green yard, music, art, diversity.

Washington Elementary School
2300 Martin Luther King Junior Way, Berkeley, CA  94704
Last modified Washington Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Washington Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 27 reviews. Top