Posted November 24, 2013
When I think of Maybeck High School I think of an old song by Cat Stevens from the 1970 s, If You Want to Sing Out, Sing Out. It s a song that encourages and celebrates young people finding their own way in life, wherever their path might lead. The school is unique in the extent to which it creates a safe and supportive learning environment where students can be themselves, develop their interests and strengths, and participate in a vibrant and diverse community. While there is an accepting, relaxed environment that gives students flexibility, the college preparatory curriculum and academic standards are high so students are challenged to excel. Classes are small so students learn mostly through interaction with peers and instructors rather than memorization of lecture material. The seminar-style format of classes enables instructors to understand each student as a person. "Special project" activities that give students amazing opportunities to explore varied interests locally and world-wide. The undergraduate institutions where Maybeck graduates are accepted are impressive and include schools throughout the country as well as all of the University of California institutions.

Posted November 21, 2013
I am so grateful to have found Maybeck for my freshman daughter. Maybeck truly creates an environment where every kid is allowed to be their own person, free to express him/herself as he/she pleases. After spending years dreading school because of constant bullying and uninspired curriculum, I saw her light dim. At Maybeck, she has found her tribe. Everyday she loves going to school and the smaller classroom size allows for the individual attention she needs. She is thriving like I have never seen her thrive. She is exposed to the kind of teaching that inspires kids to actually think critically and she is now a motivated learner. She has great friends and is looking forward to traveling two weeks for the Special Programs where she will be exposed to a new culture and way of living. Words can not describe my gratitude.

Posted November 18, 2013
My daughter started Maybeck this fall as a freshman, and we could not be happier with the school. My daughter has always been high achieving academically, and she finds the classes stimulating and challenging. She previously attended some excellent public and private schools, but she says that Maybeck is by far the most interesting school she has ever attended. In addition to the excellent academics, the students and staff are an amazingly caring community. Kids of all sorts fit in well at Maybeck and it is obvious that the staff is invested in making sure that the kids are emotionally and academically prepared for the future. Check out Maybeck -- it's a wonderful school.

Posted November 17, 2013
If you are checking out private high schools in the Berkeley-Oakland area, you should take a look at Maybeck High School. Our daughter was an excellent student in the Piedmont school system but we moved her to Maybeck to start high school. We were attracted by the small class sizes, instructors - including many who have taught at the college level - who seemed incredibly qualified and a community where teachers are willing to earn less to have a diverse student body. We have an older daughter who succeeded in the grind-it-out, AP-Honors, four-hours-a night-homework model but didn't feel it was the best paradigm for our younger girl. We were looking for something better but still offering a quality education. We think we've found it at Maybeck.

Posted November 15, 2013
My son attends Maybeck High School and it is truly an amazing school. Not only is it academically challenging but it is one of the few High Schools I have seen where the students and the faculty seem to want to be there. It is very small but the students interact with all grades. It is a school where a teenager can be a teenager, where you can be different and it is not a problem. It is supportive and a place where students truly care about each other.

Posted November 15, 2013
My daughter has been incredibly happy at Maybeck and within their caring small community has really come out of her shell both academically and socially. Never a joiner, she is now in a club every day, helping to lead the student activitiies council, loving her teachers and getting straight A's. Couldn't ask for much more for her. The parents are engaged but nicely relaxed about it all, so we like it too!

Posted November 28, 2010
I went to Maybeck back in the '90s. What a wonderful experience it was! The big difference here is that the teachers interact with the students as mentors and peers not as superiors. Maybeck opened up the world for me both physically, on trips, and intellectually where ever we were. The school ethos is very liberal, so if you are not comfortable with full on freedom of speech and lots of non-conformity then this awesome and empowering school isn't for you.

Maybeck High School 0

Posted October 03, 2009
Energetic & creative in programming, respect toward students and faculty alike, collaborative, small enough to be flexible, encouraging creativity and individual responsibility for learning, not elitist...not MY school, just a school I admire...

Maybeck High School 1

Posted September 18, 2009

Posted September 15, 2009
The best high school in the bay area! Great teachers, amazing curriculum and a wonderful community of students, teachers, staff and parents.

Maybeck High School