Valley Vista Elementary School

Public | K-6 | 502 students

Sweep tile

Posted August 22, 2013

We are new to this school with our oldest starting Kindergarten. As first time elementary school parents I have to admit I was nervous. Mrs. Emery and her staff have been amazing the communication between the teachers and the parents is great. Our son loves school and every day when we ask how is day was, the response is always, "Awesome." It is wonderful to have a school with teachers that you and your child love. Looking forward to all our years with Valley Vista.

Posted March 25, 2013

I'm a 6th grader here in Valley Vista. I came here in 1st grade to 4th. I moved to Japan because I'm a military child, and came back in 6th grade. I honestly think its a great school. The teachers are great. They teach us things we need to know. We learn to be responsible,respectful, and safe. We also have fun. It would be nice if we had some clubs after school. Also more time for fun classes such as art,PE,music,language class, ect.

Posted September 8, 2011

This is my daughters first year at this school. My daughter is in Ms.Casares class. I have nothing but good things to say about this excellent teacher. My daughter has been learning a lot in her class. Overall she could not have had a better teacher.

Posted July 1, 2011

This was my sons first year at valley vista going into the first grade now he will be going into second grade! For his first grade teacher he had Mrs. Casares she is an amazing teacher, she has taught him so many things it's unbelieveable! I would recommend her if your child will be attending the first grade for 2011-2012 school yr you will not be disappointed!

Posted May 17, 2011

I am a STUDENT at Valley Vista, in my sixth grade year. K-4th grade was everything I could have hoped for; good teaching, excellent, professional teachers, and an utterly fantastic principal. However, in fifth grade, I started a new year with a new principal. The teachers and academic quality have stayed the same(notable in every aspect), however, the leadership of the new principal? Disasterous. She's less involved, much less nuturing, nothing like our old one. I feel at home at Valley Vista, I don't want to be anything but a viking, but I can't help but feel like I'm talking to a a stranger in our new principal's prescence. (sorry for grammar mistakes, bad keyboard)

Posted May 17, 2011

They do not pay attention to your child's work or study habis...even if your child cannot spell...somehow your child passes with flying colors...total injustice to your child's future

Posted February 17, 2011

My daughter is in Mrs Phelps Kindergarten class and she loves it, I have nothing but good things to say about the principle and the staff at Valley Vista.

Posted September 20, 2010

Be aware of your child's teacher. My daughter is eight years old, and have difficulties with the principal and two teachers. Take the initiative and be a active parent in this school with your child!

Posted June 3, 2009

My child will be starting second grade at Valley Vista next year. The teachers and staff have made my family feel welcome at all school events. My daughter has received an excellent education beginning with Mrs. Phelps in Kindergarten. Even though Ms. McKearney is moving on to another school site, I know that I can trust the teachers to continue to make this school a second home for my daughter. Her academic, emotional, and physical needs are well met at Valley Vista.

Posted March 16, 2009

My children started going to this school last year. I use to have my children in private school and was worried about the transition and larger class size. All of the staff and teachers are great. The principle stands outside when school is out to be available to parents. Although the class size is larger, teachers communicate actively with parents which made the transition easier on the children.

Posted February 7, 2008

Important note - it slipped my mind that I had written a negative review - I did not end up taking my child out of Valley Vista. Mrs. McKearney stepped in and arranged my child s agenda accordingly and it shows my son s overall testing scores continue to improve and Mrs. McKearney continues to work with him to improve his work habits. It is most comforting to know my son is not being just pushed through but rather getting much-needed individual attention on top of the principal s already busy schedule. This school cares greatly about our child s overall rating scores, which is most important.

Posted January 17, 2008

Unfortunately, no matter how hard I try to communicate with the school and teacher this year, I get no feedback whatsoever. This school continues to give grades of 2 or 3, just to push the child through the grade and move on. It is a shame our children are subjected to this and please, keep very close touch with what and if, your children are actually learning at all and homeschool them on top of this school if you want a chance for your child.

Posted January 4, 2008

Awesome teacher for 5th is mrs.Mistry.

Posted December 18, 2007

My son had to be held back so we transfered him to Valley Vista. It was the best choice for him. The teachers are extreemly dedicated and the school is a place which nutures student creativity. My son is doing great! Keeping good contact with the teacher and being invoved in school activities inspires your children to excell.

Posted September 13, 2007

I have a child currently enrolled at Valley Vista and I have been satisfied with the dedication the teachers have for the children. My child is experiencing a difficult time with language arts and there were two teachers in particular who addressed me with immediate concern about my child. We are currently working with my child as an individual, to become a more proficient student.

Posted August 31, 2007

I have 3 children that are now in their 5th year at Valley Vista. My family couldn't be happier. The teachers have been & remain very involved with my children's academic & personal success, even as they have moved to the next grade level. My FAMILY's experience with the teachers, principal and the administrative staff at the school has been great. The school has a very active PTO what works in conjunction with the staff & parents to bring music, art, sports, science, reading and other fun programs/activities into the school for the students. Due to some re-zoning, we are currently out of this school's zone. My family choose not to move because we are all very happy where we are and would not think of leaving Valley Vista.

Posted August 28, 2007

My two boys attended there last year and its their first time attending a public school and this was a huge dissapointment, my kids came out without any knowledge and bad habits, I have never been so discouraged before my kids learned nothing, the teachers were not involved as I have previously experienced, I am transfering them out of this school.

Posted March 10, 2007

My child has been attending since 2001. I was puzzled by previous bad reviews. I've never seen a more hands on and involved Principal in my life. I believe she cares deeply for the children and wants only the best for them. I do wish this school had an everyday music & art program. A foreign language class would be nice too. Also an everyday PE class. The level of parent involvement could be better. The PTO board has done a fantastic job, but they could use more help. Finally, the teachers at Valley Vista are the best.

Posted February 23, 2007

We have been very happy with the staff and instruction at Valley Vista. I am disappointed that the school district does not offer extracurricular afterschool activities; they do at most of the schools in the district! Valley Vista School and parents have asked for it. The school hands out a packet of info in September to all parents and weekly newsletters and flyers to the students. It is the parents responsiblity to read those. Great job Valley Vista!

Posted August 20, 2005

Principal does the bare minimum. Not any organization at the school meetings and dances--kids running wild, screaming, outside and inside. Not very many extra things for the kids, just the requirements.

This school's

(2012)

7 / 10

3 / 10

API Growth scores over time

Did this school meet the API goal this year?
  • This school met the state goal of 800.

API Growth scores by subgroup

Did this school meet all the API goals for student subgroups this year?
  • This school met all student subgroup API targets for 2013

Change from 2012 to 2013
API Statewide Rank
(2012)

7 / 10

API Statewide Rank (2012)

3 / 10

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 56% in 2013.

96 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

96 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 46% in 2013.

65 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 66% in 2013.

65 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 65% in 2013.

66 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 72% in 2013.

68 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 60% in 2013.

69 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

70 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 57% in 2013.

69 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 60% in 2013.

82 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 55% in 2013.

82 students were tested at this school in 2013.

All Students48%

• Carmen Emery
Fax number
  • (619) 479-7024

Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Schoolwide program (SWP)

Apply now