Mariposa Elementary School 4

Posted November 23, 2014
I have three grandchildren in Mariposa. 4th,2nd, and kindergardner. I am the offical homework person. My daughter is a single mom. I am so greatfull for most of the teachers my grandsons have had. But two stand out. Mrs. Chavez and Mrs. Yocum. They are Angels. The one thing I'm saddened about is the retirement of the old librarian, Mrs. Miller. The library has been inadequate. Mrs. Miller was open for the children before school and after school. We loved that little extra time. Also when the Library opened this new school year it was about 3 plus weeks into the school year. Thank you Debbie Moore (Nana)

Posted October 08, 2013
Something is ALWAYS going on at this school one way or another. Parental involvement is through the roof , which normally would be ideal BUT its always the same parents controling what goes on or how things are run. They have their "clique" and if you arent in it, they arent interested in what you have to say. There is ALOT of kissing up to the Principal. Elected PTA officers consist of a bunch of Drama Queens which are constantly in disagreement and its a joke. Academically, I question the "Blue Ribbon" Status. Parents, volunteers and students are pre warned of Executive visits and prepped on what to say, they are told what to wear and students are allowed to take work home that received a bad grade and correct it. The goalwants to make sure THEY look good approx. a week prior, students are allowed to take work home that received a bad grade

Posted May 08, 2013
Mariposa has been a great experience for us this year. My daughter is in kindergarten and has really had a great time and learned a lot. The PTA has put on some fun activities and there seems to be a lot of parent involvement. The teachers really care about their students and it shows. Great school overall.

Posted October 17, 2011
2 Daughters @ Mariposa grades K thru 6th. "A" students in GATE > now honor students at Brea Jr High. Never a negative issue and always good communication with teachers

Posted August 18, 2011
I am a parent of two children at this school. I was reading the reviews and felt I had to say something. I do not know what school the parents with these negative comments are speaking about, not once do I recall them having 7 fundraisers in one year, never have my children come home upset or with the knowledge that the school has no money. My children have been attending Mariposa since Kindergarden I currently have a 5th and a 3rd grader and we have not had any problems with teachers, staff or the principal. Actually the principal has been nothing but helpful towards us in many issues in and outside of school, she is a very professional and kind woman who is ready to go the distance when needed to do so for your child. As to the teachers being uncaring well that is not true I have yet to meet a teacher that does not care for her students, all the ones I have had the pleasure of dealing with are very caring towards their students and very concerned with their growth and well being. Overall we are very pleased with the school, and the staff its unfortunate some have not had the same pleasant experiences we do.

Mariposa Elementary School 4

Posted April 19, 2011
I have 2 kids who have attended Mariposa for the last 4 and 2 years respectively. I have great respect for the principal, who is passionate about her job and very approachable. My kids teachers have been wonderful with the exception of one. Parents are involved in classrooms, and PTA has put on some terrific events this year (movie night, father daughter dance, mother/son bingo). My experience with this school has been extremely positive.

Mariposa Elementary School 1

Posted June 04, 2010
No wonder there are many negative reviews about this school. The school has failed our minimal expectations on teacher quality and educational system. Their rate of 9 is very questionable. Teachers are ignorant, careless, and they do not value your children. If you do not spend extra time and/or money on teaching your children, they will not learn much. I strongly suggest not to waste your children's valuable time here. Also, do not ignore the negative reviews, because now I know that they're here for good reasons.

Mariposa Elementary School 1

Posted May 05, 2010
This school has failed my children on so many levels, I felt I had to say something. Most of the problems seem to coincide with the arrival of the current Principal. They had 7 fund raisers between September and November of 2009. I have no idea where the money goes. The Principal told the students that Colleges will be looking at their 6th grade achievement tests! What kind of person lies to children to further their career? Bullying is tolerated. Many of the Senior teachers are just waiting to retire. The math and science 'programs' are horrible. If I didn't spend my evenings teaching my children, they wouldn't learn anything. There were some good young teachers, but because of the union and budget cuts, they will be leaving. The sad part is that we moved to Brea because we heard the schools were good. Maybe Mariposa was a good school at one time...

Mariposa Elementary School 2

Posted April 24, 2010
I have 2 kids at this school and had 3, but felt I had no other option and moved my child to Fanning, after a 1 year course of bulling. She felt she had to befriend the bull since the Principal claimed it was just 'girl drama' My oldest will be moving on to the Jr. High,(thank god) and my kindergartner will be joining his sister at Fanning for 1st grade. Very disappointed in several things that have gone on at this school. SEVERAL students will be leaving Mariposa this fall. Also, the school has way to many fundraisers, and then will turn to the students and tell them that the school is running out of money! So sad, for a child to have to come home and grab their piggy bank and try to take it to school, because they are 'running out of money'

Mariposa Elementary School 2

Posted March 16, 2010
Don't ignore the negative reviews. This school does well in thanks to great demographics and parent involvement (lots of stars, yay!). The minute you raise an issue, you are a person 'with issues'. There are some great teachers, but the lazy ones who only tolerate perfectly compliant children can really destroy the experience for your child (hmmm... no stars).

Mariposa Elementary School
1111 West Mariposa Drive, Brea, CA  92821
Last modified Mariposa Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-6. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Mariposa Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 26 reviews. Top