Bad
Good

I am positive this school will be one of the great schools in the area soon. I was impressed how quickly and appropriately the teachers and counselors respond to our needs. They seem to really care about our children in the teeth of the fact that my kid is not the best. The school is also being renovated over the summer. Front desk is super and I have always enjoyed talking with Ms. Musurlian, Ms. Spirtos, and of course Mr. Bagger.

My schools is the best I ever had there are great teachers and awsome environment Iam so lucky to be part of it.

Second, the punishments are commonly innapropriate and/or fail to punish the trouble makers. Last year, a fight (which are quite common) occured. The brawlers escaped, so the school punished the entire 7th grade. Also, in honors algebra (eighth grade) a teacher sent a child to the office for "talking" even though the kid next to him was bothering him and even admitted to be guilty. Teachers typically yell at kids to behave, which disupts the class and often, the class must endure being barked at by an angry teacher while the real trouble maker ISN'T punished. There is a SEVERE lack of moderation and EFFECTIVE punishments- keep this in mind for when someone bothers your kid. Third, there is rampant trouble. The restrooms are usually vandalized- there is even a stall in the boy's restroom WITHOUT a LOCK! Graffeti is a common sight: be it on the walls, on the floor, even in the stalls!. Fights are a natural sight with an average of 1-2 each month. Sometimes, even the police are needed to assist- including a time when a student kicked an officer. This school presents a terrible learning environment and with the lack of effective punishments, YOUR child could be a victim.

Retched shool. This school claims to be a safe place for children to learn, but this facade is far from true. I'm an eighth grader at BPJHS and the absent-minded teachers had MADE ERRORS on my grades FOUR TIMES. First, they gave me a D- in 7th grade honors english, even though I had gotten 100% on ALL test including a test "few had passed" and I was one of the few who actively participated. Second, they gave me a C- in honors 7th grade history even though I scored A's on all tests, did most of the homework and scored well on all the projects assigned. Third, they sent home a FALSE teleparent saying that I was failing 8th grade honors science due to "low test scores", although I had scored A's on all tests. Fourth, my foolish 8th grade honors english teacher gave me a D+ with no extra credit available, it was only after I turned in a late work assignment that I had noticed my teacher's inemptedness, she had failed to grade a story I PRESONALLY turned in. After I told her, she ARGUED with me, until she actually looked in the pile of stories to find mine. I wound up getting a B+ in English. Clearly, the teachers CANNOT grade effectively- putting your child at risk if he comes here.

I am very pleased with the academic and student involvement requirement this school has for all of their students.

Ahem. Hem hem. I went to this school last year, going into the honors academy For the very first year it started. I loved my math teacher and my English teacher, but I did not like my pe teacher, science teacher, history teacher, or any other. However, my most favorite teacher had the most patience and she was kind. And she was my choir teacher. What does that say about their academics? Apparently non-academic teachers aren't as good and that's not what's supposed to happen. Also, the honors classes put such an incredible Mount of pressure on me that I dropped out mid year and nowhere I am, homeschooling through eighth grade. Basically, this school needs to rethink their methods for teaching academics and otherwise.

I tried everything to avoid sending my child to this school - had a complete misconception about the quality of the school. I had no choice but to send him here and it ended up being a good thing. My child is in all honors classes, the class sizes are decent, the teachers are so helpful and care for the students and are clearly invested in the student's success. I love the parent portal which allows parents to keep track of assignments, grades, and list teacher email addresses making it easy to get in touch with the teachers. The school also has a automated phone system that leaves messages alerting parents of absences, up coming assignments or bad grades!

Great school despite some of the careless students here. I definately reccomend Ms. Bright as a history teacher and Mrs.Bolicek for English. You will do well in this school if you try your best, the teachers try their very best and if you want to suceed, you should do so too.

8th grader- this school has made me changed alot. the friends i make, the teachers, and even the staffs:) my rating for this school is way above excellent! my teachers NEVER give up on me even if it means 24/7 of teaching. i promise to the new comers that you'll experience a whole new life and a whole new way of learning. when i was in elementary my grade was like 2s and 3s on everything, but then now im a honor student and has a 4.0 gpa. my mom didnt want me to go to this school in the begining but now she love it too!!!

Love this school! Both of my children have received excellent educations. The Triple R program rewards good/expected behavior with BBQ lunches, fun events and the ability to purchase school supplies using school script. Most teachers care about students and do their best to develop the skills and knowledge students' need to succeed in high school and beyond. Elective classes (home ec, woodshop, spanish, music programs, etc) are exceptional. There are lots of ways for students to be involved (ASB, PALS, lunch-time activities, after-school dances and sports, etc) if they choose to be. I could have put my children in a different junior high, but I am so glad I didn't. BPJHS is a hidden gem in the public school system. Love it!

Last modified Buena Park Junior High School is a Public school that serves grades 7-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 5 out of 10 based on academic quality.