Posted June 07, 2013
Our daughter just graduated from Miller Elementary. Since kindergarten to 5th grade we can't say anything but excellent words towards principal, teacher and staff. This school became home for our child. The principal gathered talented teacher, the teacher love kids and love to teach. 35 students out of 150 received presidential academic award this year. Excellent school!

Posted June 04, 2013
Miller has outstanding teachers and a committed and devoted Principal and support staff. There are multiple opportunities for after-school enrichment classes and a concerted effort to provide as many small-group learning environments as possible within each classroom.

Joaquin Miller Elementary School 4

Posted November 15, 2012
My response is to the negative comments below... Schools NEED parents. Burbank does have great schools, the finger should be pointed at parents in Burbank instead. I agree, the office staff can be short, the PTA can be stronger and the crossing guard does yell. Parents need to start participating!!! I've communicated with our teachers through email since Kindergarten. I've dealt with the school office on numerous occassions. I agree that needs improving. But, I was there for my child and reminded them I appreciate their attention. I got it! Crossing guard can be snippy, but it all boils down to the parents. There is a drop off- do you use it? Have you noticed those dropping off in the middle of the street, in alley ways or in front of kindergarten gate (stopping the law abiding drivers) ??? There is a PTA (parent/teacher/association) are you a memeber? Usually there are only about 8 parents in these meetings, there are about 800 kids in the school. If you're so curious as to whom is caring for YOUR CHILD majority of the day... Schedule a meeting or better yet VOLUNTEER in their classes. YOU're not the victim, these kids are - Bad habits start at home.

Joaquin Miller Elementary School 1

Posted November 13, 2012
I moved to Burbank partly due to the fact that they have great schools. So you can see why after only having my daughter in this school for 3 and a half months I am disappointed to say I will be trying to transfer her as soon as I can. Mainly because the staff is so unorganized and rude that it makes me wonder how they treat the kids. Even the crossing guard spends every morning yelling at parents to the point that I try and avoid crossing the street because it's such an uncomfortable environment. The fact that the school allows these people to represent them is what drives me to believe this isn't the best fit for my child. I have only met her teacher once so far, but at least I hear she's nice. Thank goodness. When it comes to the learning, I think my daughter is learning a great deal. However, with lack of communication I won't know how things are going until I meet the teacher for only the second time during parent teacher conferences.

Posted March 07, 2012
Such a great school.My daughter is attending Kindergarten now.I'm so pleased with teacher Mrs. Diana Pelayo.She is very professional and attentive. After school programs good planed, children getting all support learning English as a second language.There is math and reading support too. The Principal of the school ,Mrs. Judy Hession is amazing,how she is managing and dealing with everything! She have nice support to work with - teahers,school staff .Happy and thankful for everyone working in this school.Children -is our future.

Joaquin Miller Elementary School 1

Posted September 27, 2011
My daughter attended kindergarten at Miller and is now a 1st-grader there. The teachers are great and they do implement a strong and well-balanced academic program. My dissatisfaction comes from the support staff. They can be downright crude at times (the school nurse especially) and I have witnessed their antagonistic and patronizing attitude towards other parents. The cross-guard employed there would not hesitate to yell at parents from across the street! I mentioned this during a casual conversation with the current principal and apparently, she thinks that some parents deserve this kind of treatment. She also mentioned that as a rule, if she knows the parent that's a bad sign. I thought schools are supposed to encourage communication and parent participation, but I guess that is an outdated idea. Food for thought.

Posted March 04, 2011
I love Miller school. It's the best school. My son attended K-5 and love every single minute of it. Teachers and staffs are very nice and kind.

Posted April 18, 2010
The 6 rating (April 2010) does not accurately reflect the quality of this school. My daughter attended K-5 and loved every minute of it. She also thrived academically and socially thanks to the great teachers and the positive environment fostered by the principal. PTA and Booster clubs are strong and provide the additional funding lacking from the state for art, music, family events and educational 'extras' like assemblies and science camp. We loved this school and will always have fond memories to cherish.

Posted October 01, 2009
Joaquin Miller is a great school, a diamond in the rough. From the Principal, Judy Hession, who is involved at all levels, to the teachers who are caring and passionate about their role, to the cleanliness and order of the school. It's all great. We moved from private school to Miller and couldn't be happier. And our newest excitement is our 1st grader is using on-line learning for reading and math as part of her nightly homework. I love that today's technology is being used as a teaching tool. My hat goes off to the Principal and staff at Miller. Thank you!

Posted March 04, 2009

Joaquin Miller Elementary School
720 East Providencia Avenue, Burbank, CA  91501
Last modified Joaquin Miller Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Joaquin Miller Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 23 reviews. Top