Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Just right (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Very effective (1 response)
Currently, most people answered School leader (1 response)

Grateful to: School leader

Posted July 14, 2016
Dr. Miller is committed to doing what is best for the students and families. It is obvious that he is dedicated to making Muir a great school.

Posted July 14, 2016
I have my 2nd and 3rd child currently at John Muir and think that the school continues to get better under Dr. Miller's leadership. My kids feel that the adults (teachers, counselors, secretaries, etc.) really care about them. There are always many great activities that our kids can participate in. The campus is really quite beautiful for a middle school. They do get a lot of homework, but our 10th grader feels that academically Muir made the transition to high school easy. We love John Muir.

John Muir Middle School 2

Posted May 14, 2016
Transferring our 6th grader there was tough. Not a whole lot of support. The guidance counselor who helped us just sort of left her on her own to go to her first class. No introduction to the teacher. No buddy system as with other schools. After the tour he just pretty much told her that was it, pointed to her classroom and said there it is. I thought this was strange and told him he at least to needs to walk her in and introduce her. It's an 11 year old child. Anyway, she stayed for about a week and absolutely hated it. She felt very lost so we enrolled her in one of the local Catholic schools where she is much happier. It's a really big middle school and can be very intimidation for transfers. I'm sure not everyone had a bad experience. I just thought I'd share ours.

Posted September 01, 2015
We absolutely love the Principal, we have had countless caring teachers, strong community ties, involved parents, clean and well maintained school.

Develops empathy: Strongly agree

Posted June 01, 2015
By teaching their kids the Character Counts program and by offering such programs as Challenge Day

Posted June 01, 2015
THE TEACHERS AND STAFF REALLY CARE ABOUT THE KIDS. They make teaching the kids about making their character count a priority

Posted January 31, 2015
This school is fenomenal! One of the best public schools, especially if your child in GATE or honor classes. The teachers are very enthusiastic, they LIKE to teach! We are looking to buy a house and realized that properties in this school boundaries are worth more just because of the quality of education.

Posted July 08, 2014
My wife and i moved to Burbank a year ago and our son, who has always disliked school, had to start in a middle school where he knew no one. Yesterday, he told me that he couldn't wait for the school year to start at Muir. Amazing! He loved his teachers who were demanding, but helped him through a rough patch at the start of the year. He's made a lot of friends and they all seem to be good kids with supportive families. As you can see from the other posts, Dr. Miller is great. He introduced himself to my son when we were enrolloing and continues to interact with him. Everyone that we have encountered has been friendly and helpful. We are very happy that our son attends John Muir and look forward to two more great years.

Posted October 14, 2013
My son is a 7th grader at JMMS and has loved the school since he started last year. It really is the staff who make it outstanding, especially the principal. He sets a fantastic example by not only taking a genuine and active interest in what is going on with the students, but also being visible and welcoming to everyone - for example, I have never seen a principal who greets students outside as they come to school each day and even helps out at the crosswalks. The majority of the teachers are also helpful, responsive, and invested in students's learning. The office staff and counselors are great as well. It's an academically rigorous environment that is challenging yet flexible. The vocal music program is second to none as well. We honestly couldn't be happier at Muir and appreciate all that the staff does. Thank you, JMMS!

Posted October 06, 2013
John Muir Middle School is a big school with a small feel to it. I am a parent of a daughter who graduated from Muir and I am now a 6th grade parent. I love many things about the school, my children have the good fortune to encounter some great educators who have motivated them to love subjects they didn't. The leadership is also great, they are consistently looking for ways to improve the quality of education and to provide a safe environment for all students. Parents work hard to ensure our students can continue with arts programs such as band, choir, and drama. My daughter had had the opportunity to learn to play the flute and travel to competitions, can't wait for my son to play the sax at his first concert. John Muir Middle School is producing well rounded students ready for their next journey- high school.

1111 North Kenneth Road, Burbank, CA  91504-4011
Last modified John Muir Middle School is a Public school that serves grades 6-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.