Bad
Good

I have my 2nd and 3rd child currently at John Muir and think that the school continues to get better under Dr. Miller's leadership. My kids feel that the adults (teachers, counselors, secretaries, etc.) really care about them. There are always many great activities that our kids can participate in. The campus is really quite beautiful for a middle school. They do get a lot of homework, but our 10th grader feels that academically Muir made the transition to high school easy. We love John Muir.

Transferring our 6th grader there was tough. Not a whole lot of support. The guidance counselor who helped us just sort of left her on her own to go to her first class. No introduction to the teacher. No buddy system as with other schools. After the tour he just pretty much told her that was it, pointed to her classroom and said there it is. I thought this was strange and told him he at least to needs to walk her in and introduce her. It's an 11 year old child. Anyway, she stayed for about a week and absolutely hated it. She felt very lost so we enrolled her in one of the local Catholic schools where she is much happier. It's a really big middle school and can be very intimidation for transfers. I'm sure not everyone had a bad experience. I just thought I'd share ours.

We absolutely love the Principal, we have had countless caring teachers, strong community ties, involved parents, clean and well maintained school.

THE TEACHERS AND STAFF REALLY CARE ABOUT THE KIDS. They make teaching the kids about making their character count a priority

This school is fenomenal! One of the best public schools, especially if your child in GATE or honor classes. The teachers are very enthusiastic, they LIKE to teach! We are looking to buy a house and realized that properties in this school boundaries are worth more just because of the quality of education.

My wife and i moved to Burbank a year ago and our son, who has always disliked school, had to start in a middle school where he knew no one. Yesterday, he told me that he couldn't wait for the school year to start at Muir. Amazing! He loved his teachers who were demanding, but helped him through a rough patch at the start of the year. He's made a lot of friends and they all seem to be good kids with supportive families. As you can see from the other posts, Dr. Miller is great. He introduced himself to my son when we were enrolloing and continues to interact with him. Everyone that we have encountered has been friendly and helpful. We are very happy that our son attends John Muir and look forward to two more great years.

My son is a 7th grader at JMMS and has loved the school since he started last year. It really is the staff who make it outstanding, especially the principal. He sets a fantastic example by not only taking a genuine and active interest in what is going on with the students, but also being visible and welcoming to everyone - for example, I have never seen a principal who greets students outside as they come to school each day and even helps out at the crosswalks. The majority of the teachers are also helpful, responsive, and invested in students's learning. The office staff and counselors are great as well. It's an academically rigorous environment that is challenging yet flexible. The vocal music program is second to none as well. We honestly couldn't be happier at Muir and appreciate all that the staff does. Thank you, JMMS!

John Muir Middle School is a big school with a small feel to it. I am a parent of a daughter who graduated from Muir and I am now a 6th grade parent. I love many things about the school, my children have the good fortune to encounter some great educators who have motivated them to love subjects they didn't. The leadership is also great, they are consistently looking for ways to improve the quality of education and to provide a safe environment for all students. Parents work hard to ensure our students can continue with arts programs such as band, choir, and drama. My daughter had had the opportunity to learn to play the flute and travel to competitions, can't wait for my son to play the sax at his first concert. John Muir Middle School is producing well rounded students ready for their next journey- high school.

Both my children attend John Muir Middle School and we couldn't be happier with the quality of teachers they have, the attentive office staff present, the very engaged principal, Dr. Miller, and the lovely hillside campus. As Burbank residents, we're lucky that all three middle schools offer a quality education for our children. However, it's impressive that Muir is the largest middle school of the three and has the highest API. Very happy Muir family here!

I'm writing this review in part to offset the 09/24 review directly below. With all due respect to the parent posting, the fact that a PreAlgebra class is large and the kids in it get off to a slow start is not a reflection on the school itself. It's a reflection of 1) the lack of funding provided to schools in the State of California and 2) a requirement for teachers to move through material quickly in order to meet CST (and now Core Curriculum) standards. I've been a parent at Muir for the last two years, and my observation is that Muir's teachers are doing their best to work for the many kids they need to teach. Based on conversations with other parents, it would be difficult to find a middle school math classroom with less than 30-35 kids. You can try looking for a smaller classroom at a private school, but they too often have funding problems as a result of the recession causing losses in enrollment and parents unable to pay the high tuition. My suggestion is to save your tuition money, send your child to a quality public school like Muir, and find an online curriculum to reinforce their skills (Khan Academy is an excellent tool for Algebra skills).

Last modified John Muir Middle School is a Public school that serves grades 6-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.