Burbank, CA
Students enrolled: 1,348

Posted July 08, 2014
My wife and i moved to Burbank a year ago and our son, who has always disliked school, had to start in a middle school where he knew no one. Yesterday, he told me that he couldn't wait for the school year to start at Muir. Amazing! He loved his teachers who were demanding, but helped him through a rough patch at the start of the year. He's made a lot of friends and they all seem to be good kids with supportive families. As you can see from the other posts, Dr. Miller is great. He introduced himself to my son when we were enrolloing and continues to interact with him. Everyone that we have encountered has been friendly and helpful. We are very happy that our son attends John Muir and look forward to two more great years.

Posted October 14, 2013
My son is a 7th grader at JMMS and has loved the school since he started last year. It really is the staff who make it outstanding, especially the principal. He sets a fantastic example by not only taking a genuine and active interest in what is going on with the students, but also being visible and welcoming to everyone - for example, I have never seen a principal who greets students outside as they come to school each day and even helps out at the crosswalks. The majority of the teachers are also helpful, responsive, and invested in students's learning. The office staff and counselors are great as well. It's an academically rigorous environment that is challenging yet flexible. The vocal music program is second to none as well. We honestly couldn't be happier at Muir and appreciate all that the staff does. Thank you, JMMS!

Posted October 06, 2013
John Muir Middle School is a big school with a small feel to it. I am a parent of a daughter who graduated from Muir and I am now a 6th grade parent. I love many things about the school, my children have the good fortune to encounter some great educators who have motivated them to love subjects they didn't. The leadership is also great, they are consistently looking for ways to improve the quality of education and to provide a safe environment for all students. Parents work hard to ensure our students can continue with arts programs such as band, choir, and drama. My daughter had had the opportunity to learn to play the flute and travel to competitions, can't wait for my son to play the sax at his first concert. John Muir Middle School is producing well rounded students ready for their next journey- high school.

Posted September 27, 2013
Both my children attend John Muir Middle School and we couldn't be happier with the quality of teachers they have, the attentive office staff present, the very engaged principal, Dr. Miller, and the lovely hillside campus. As Burbank residents, we're lucky that all three middle schools offer a quality education for our children. However, it's impressive that Muir is the largest middle school of the three and has the highest API. Very happy Muir family here!

Posted September 25, 2013
I'm writing this review in part to offset the 09/24 review directly below. With all due respect to the parent posting, the fact that a PreAlgebra class is large and the kids in it get off to a slow start is not a reflection on the school itself. It's a reflection of 1) the lack of funding provided to schools in the State of California and 2) a requirement for teachers to move through material quickly in order to meet CST (and now Core Curriculum) standards. I've been a parent at Muir for the last two years, and my observation is that Muir's teachers are doing their best to work for the many kids they need to teach. Based on conversations with other parents, it would be difficult to find a middle school math classroom with less than 30-35 kids. You can try looking for a smaller classroom at a private school, but they too often have funding problems as a result of the recession causing losses in enrollment and parents unable to pay the high tuition. My suggestion is to save your tuition money, send your child to a quality public school like Muir, and find an online curriculum to reinforce their skills (Khan Academy is an excellent tool for Algebra skills).

John Muir Middle School 3

Posted September 24, 2013
My daughter is in 6th grade. She got into pre- algebra and was so happy and proud because she worked really hard in elementary to achieve the score that will put her into honored classes. No words to describe how disappointed she is after a only a month in this class. First of all - very little to explained. The teacher is complaining that the classes are too big (35 kids) and it's not enough time to thorough explain the material in class. Well, it's not the first year when classes have more than 20 kids like old days. Only few out of 35 students got A & B on test, the rest of honored class got Fs and Ds, and the teacher is saying to those students who got bad grades not to be upset, because majority of the class got the same!!! Good to know! In my opinion such result questioning teacher's ability to teach. She is instantly promoting for those students who is not successful in her class to switch to regular 6th grade math. I guest it's just to reduce # of student she has to teach. No student, no problem... Easy... Being fair, there are good teachers in school, and office stuff is always helpful.

Posted May 23, 2013
I have had kids at Muir for 5 years with 2 more years to go and this has been our best year yet. My kids loved their teachers (6th & 8th grade). My kids said that there was a lot less drama this year than in the past. We all love Dr. Miller. My kids think he's cool and we like the way that he has put in new programs to help struggling kids. We give Muir an A+.

John Muir Middle School 4

Posted November 24, 2012
Glad Dr. Miller here. Things ostensibly seem better this year. There's a couple of older female teachers here who seem to not remember they went into teaching because they allegedly had a love for it and kids don't learn from anyone when they're made to feel less than. It's a punitive teaching style that doesn't work. Too bad parents have to worry about revenge if they complain to Dr. Miller. There's no Eleanor Bralver teaching at this school; that's for sure (God rest her dedicated soul) Agree on music comment below. Great great music program here and worthy of support. Be wary of fundraisers. I had missing gift cards and had to email a bunch and offer to sign an affidavit under penalty of perjury like 2 days before winter break to get it resolved. Hope QC has improved because it's a great idea and revenue for a very good cause.

Posted November 15, 2012
I love this school I'm a student there and soon I moved but this school is really good. I miss this school with my all my heart. The lunch is quite expensive but hey they give a huge plate of food REAL food. I volunteered to work at the cafeteria for kids who cant pay lunch and when you join. They actually make the food they make the pizza they have good snacks and healthy too. I see what they do haha. Enjoy it im stuck here in a ghetto school here in Tarzana CA :(

John Muir Middle School 3

Posted October 04, 2012
We moved to Burbank from the Westside because of the schools. I was very happy with my kid's elementary school. 6th grade at Muir is a different story. Child is in GATE. Prealgebra - very little is explained. Child was never explicitely told -2 is greater than -5. But Child is gifted, right? Child is supposed to just figure it out, I guess. History mostly consists of memorizing the book and being tested on it. Reading any other sources is not encouraged. Language Arts mostly consists of worksheets (in class). No stories are ever discussed. Science... no complaints here, so far. Choir - Muir's secret weapon. One of the few things both Child and I love about Muir. PE - Child loves it. I don't. All 6th grade does is running 5 days a week. There are no corrections on HOW they run. Noone cares about kids having to study after over 3 miles of running in over a 100 degree heat. A friend's child has been throwing up every time after the run; the PE teacher says it's okay. 6th graders are not allowed to play during breaks. According to Child, a lot of them "sit on the hill and just yell as loud as they can". 3 stars for good grades on state tests - that's all this school is about.

John Muir Middle School
1111 North Kenneth Road, Burbank, CA  91504
Last modified John Muir Middle School is a Public school that serves grades 6-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 7 out of 10 based on academic quality.
John Muir Middle School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 44 reviews. Top