School principal icon 130x130 140902

School Official Point of View

I am so happy to be the new principal of Robert Louis Stevenson Elementary School. I am impressed with the entire staff, thankful for the support of the parents, and love the enthusiasm of our students. I look forward to continuing the amazing programs already established and sharing some of the programs I started at my former school. - Christina Desiderio
October 11, 2015

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Agree (5 responses)
Currently, most people answered Agree (4 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (6 responses)

My daughter struggled with anxiety and subsequently had a lot of issues in the mornings during her kindergarten year. Her teacher, Mrs. Kern, and the principal, Mrs. Desedrio, were extremely understanding and helpful and always kept open lines of communication with me. Her teacher went above and beyond to make my daughter feel at ease and I will always be grateful for that. Her first grade teacher, Mrs. Thomas, has so far been just as understanding, informative, and helpful and my daughter's anxiety issues are improving. Things could have easily gone the other way if handled differently by the school. The staff have been fantastic as well. My son has also had wonderful teachers every year and is thriving there, now in fourth grade. I only wish they'd add sixth grade so he could stay a bit longer ;):

I love the addition of technology to the arts mission of this school. Looking forward to the upcoming school year!

there are kids from all sorts of backgrounds where they are not able to differentiate between being friendly and being a bully. I had an incident with my son and the principal thought there was not enough time in the day to discuss petty stuff like that. I was alarmed and had to go to the suprintendant at the school district to fight. she is not at the school anymore. I am afraid some of the teachers are and not sure what the future of the kids here is. good luck!

Stevenson is a warm and welcoming school that encourages parents to volunteer and be a part of their child's education. We are lucky enough to have a community that has taken the approach to fill in the gaps from underfunding with dance, music and art classes made possible by fundraising.

I can honestly say that I am very happy with Stevenson. My son is in 1st grade and seeing the school's transition from his kinder year with the add-on of a new principal, has been a delight and honestly, night and day! =) The new principal is committed to the students and to making the campus feel as welcoming as possible for parents. I have come to learn that the parent community is very involved with two very strong and organized parent volunteer groups (PTA & FFS Booster).

Develops character: Strongly agree

Stevenson's PTA has a focus on teaching students about being good through its Kindness Committee. With this program they reach students monthly with activities that promote kindness and teach empathy! I have seen it and can definitely say that they are working towards developing students with these values.

My grandson loves this school! His teacher Mrs. Boulais is amazing. The staff is kind and helpful. The arts programs rock. Thank you Stevenson Staff!

All three of my children went to Stevenson and for the most part it is a great school with very few exceptions. 1st and 2nd grade were rough for my youngest. His first grade teacher had just had a baby and upon coming back seemed over extended. She claimed, in a parent-teacher conference, that she was unable to reach my son after three months of instruction. My husband and I requested the coursework from her and got him caught up in under two weeks. Grades 3-5 have been stellar (Mrs. Flores is beyond excellent and even though pregnant with twins consistently went the extra mile for son). I personally liked Ms. Ginnetti although some of her remedies for issues were questionable. My son was verbally threatened by one of the parents that assists with gardening and I requested a meeting with said parent and staff, which she denied. She suggested I email the parent but, of course, I got no reply. I'm very happy with the new principle. My son raves about how interactive she is with students. I love that she is creating such a positive atmosphere where our children are happy to go to school every day.

The teachers are so dedicated, caring and experienced, my son learnt so much since he started 5-hour per day's kindergarten program, he only knew letters and numbers before he started, and now he is a 2nd grader advancing in math and reading.

R. L. Stevenson provides a wonderful school experience for its students! The principal, teachers and parents are all invested in making the school the best it can possibly be, and do such an amazing job. My children are eager to go to school every day!

Last modified R. L. Stevenson Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.