K-8|Private

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (1 response)

My daughter was at St. Finbar for 3 years. It is a very strict school and a very very old fashioned catholic school. My daughter was not happy here at all...here's why. There are approx 35 kids in each class and for a private school that seems ridiculous. They do not have enough computers for each of their 35 students, so the kids race to get a computer and those kids that aren't fast enough don't get a computer. My daughter says shes so happy that in her new school everyone gets a computers and she dosnt have to race and fight to get one. This is ridiculous for obvious reasons!!! I saw many of these types of things at Finbar. The principle greats you only when hes showing people the school. His demeanor changes and becomes happy and kind. While at PTO meetings the principle makes sarcastic jokes about how the parents are the problem with the school, I believe the problem is truly him. The parents become the teachers assistants and are not accredited. They watch the kids on the play yard and did nothing when my kid told them she was having trouble with another kid repeatedly for 3 months. The kids play in a parking lot, there is no grass to play on and no trees for shade. The teachers are very strict and scream and shame the students. This was our biggest problem because it really hurt my daughter very badly and the principle didn't care. He did not like that I complained about it and as i heard from many parents, i was not the only one. My daughter has not complained once at her new school but every teacher at finbar she said screamed, my daughter is 8. St. Finbar should be ashamed. I do not believe fear based teaching is acceptable for a child. The office staff is not kind. At St. Finbar. my daughter would have stress stomach aches and the office staff would say "Not you again!" in a rude tone. There is no nurse at Finbar. . However, at her new school my daughter feels safe and she no longer has stomach aches. The math level at finbar is behind public school standards! The kids bathrooms are dirty and smell terrible. Some of the sinks dont work and have never been fixed in the 3 years we were there. Its not a nice place, its not a kind place, my little kids self esteem was really hurt by this place. You know what they say:" the heart of the place comes from its leader" Be very careful.

Develops character: Strongly disagree

A child need to first feel safe and feel respected by her school and Finbar failed miserably at these basic needs.

Teacher effectiveness: Strongly disagree

Fear based teaching is not acceptable for teaching children.

Amount of homework: Strongly disagree

Finbar has some unaccredited teachers and this makes me nervous about homework and anything else.

Handles bullying effectively: Strongly disagree

The yard monitors are do not deal with the bullying, they are parents and pretty much ignore it. If you have to bring it to the principle, he will deal with it but he will make every kids wrong and so the bullied kid also gets reprimanded. very strange. Its just a way of saying dont complain.

Supports LD students: Strongly disagree

The school only has one way of teaching and that is through fear and embarrassment. Fear based teaching is not acceptable in my book.

Effective school leaders: Strongly disagree

The Principle is not a kind person and does not care if your child has is scared of the teachers

Don't be misled-A number of the teachers and the many teacher's aids are not acredited, not do they hold degrees. The school advertises that it offers arts and music, but the reality is that the students only get about 45 minutes per week. The classrooms are HUGE, with over 35 students per class. I took my 2 children out after two years. The principal initiates no extra activities, simply coasting from year to year. It's all window dressing.

Saint Finbar was immediately welcoming to my children and our entire family. The Principal is genuinely caring, very involved and knows everyone's names. He assembles outside with the students at the start of each day. The school secretary is extremely helpful and always with a smile. The kids at the school are very nice and polite, and we haven't encountered any bullying. My son loves his teacher and wants to work hard to reach classroom goals that she has set. He is more applied than ever. The parents are very involved and are welcome on the campus. The Parish and school work together wonderfully. We love that the school has fully fleshed out art, music, science and language programs. We only wish we had found this school sooner!

St Finbar Is a great school !!!!! Very happy to be part of this great community.

Last modified Saint Finbar School is a Private school that serves grades K-8