No rating

Providence High School

Private | 9-12 | 419 students

Living in Burbank

Situated in an urban neighborhood. The median home value is $413,800. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,590.

Posted May 17, 2013

As a public school teacher I chose Providence for my child because of the attention teachers pay to their students, community atmosphere, safety and academic rigor. My son has friends in the local public high school that have As in their AP classes, but cannot pass the AP exams vs. students at Providence that have over an 80% rate of passing. His English classes were also superior. I love the choice of friends he has made too. The athletic programs cannot compare the high schools with over 3,000 students, but the pros by far out weigh the cons. He only had one bad teacher in all his four years here. We love it at Providence!

Posted February 5, 2013

We are about to have both our kids attend PHS. Rate of satsifaction for my wife and I are very high. The only thing I wish they would change is how they award scholarships to students. It should be open to all the students every year and not just the incoming 9th graders. Our eldest is an A student, but when she took the placement test, she did not score high enough to qualify for a scholarship, but for two years in a row now, she has been averaging A on her grades, but is not able to qualify for a scholarship because it is only available to the incoming 9th graders and renewable only to those who have gotten it in the first place.

Posted May 9, 2012

Providence is an amazing High School. Their Media, Medical, and Technology Focus programs are first rate. A student can truly be involved in all aspects of the school. The visual and performing arts department is professional grade. It is the best value for the tuition I have seen.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted September 28, 2011

As parents and professionals we looked at more than 10 High Schools for our daughter and after we attended the first parent meeting at Providence High School we knew our daughter would succeed here. The teachers are both positive and exceptional. Every homework assignment, test and quiz is posted on the internet along with the teachers e-mail if you have a question. The students have access to their own assignments and progress. Our daughter is being taught by a handful of master's prepared teachers as well as an M.D. . When I talked to the director of admissions she told me that 18 of her students last year were accepted to UCLA. The school also has a code of ethics and the students lockers for the most part do not have locks on them. If you are looking for a private school that will assure your child's success, don't look any further than Providence. It is definitely the right choice.

Posted August 13, 2011

I used to attend Providence in 9th grade. I attended public elementary and middle school and my parents wanted to send me to a private school because it is supposedly "better". 3 months here and I didn't see a single reason to why the school was better than the public schools I went to and let my tell you they weren't the best public schools. The teachers were okay, but when it came to the overall atmosphere, I absolutely hated it. I met some awesome students there and in fact I still to this day keep in touch with them but most of the school population just seemed like it was filled with rich spoiled snobs. I transferred to an LAUSD public school after 9th grade and my friends who still went there always told me "God you're so lucky you left." I'm sure my opinion is a bit bias since I've been here for a year and I'm sure they have some really good programs but most of my friends that went here really didn't seem to like it there. If you are a parent and willing to shell out a bunch of money because it is higher quality compared to a public school, then I would reconsider. As someone who's been to both, the quality of education of a private school is no more better than a public.
—Submitted by a student

Posted June 3, 2011

Do not send your child to Providence. The May 2011 review is not accurate. The principal was removed last year and there has been an interim this year. They have another new principal for next year. The English department favors female students, in our opinion. The counselors don't seem to know what they are doing. Our experience was very negative. Do not voice your concerns because it appeared to us that there was blatant retaliation. There are plenty of really good schools in the area that will truly care about your child and practice the values of a Catholic community.

Posted May 11, 2010

Providence is an excellent school. The small school atmosphere means that your child is known individually and is not simply a face in the crowd. In 2006 there was a change in administration and over the last four years, in response to student and parent input, the school has beefed up its counselling department, expanded the Visual and Performing Arts curriculum and added key, UC approved electives in the Humanities and Sciences. Beginning three years ago, specialized study labs in English and Math were implemented in an effort to help struggling students. Providence really is a great place to learn.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted March 20, 2009

I'm a current student at Providence High, and I've never felt more welcome anywhere before. The best feature of this school is the people. The freshmen troublemakers are straightened out rather quickly and there isn't any bullying. We are so trusting of each other that locks are optional on ther lockers (i don't keep one). It's also fun to be able to walk through the halls and know everyone, even Seniors. I definitely recommend this school to parents who want their student to learn in a safe, fun, and nurturing environment. Students also connect with their teachers here. Many of the staff is filled with alumni who loved the school so much, they came back to teach here. Also, there aren't cliques, gangs, raging stereotypes, or drug problems at Providence. Every day I come home cheerful, telling my mum all about my wonderful times at Providence High.
—Submitted by a student

Posted June 10, 2008

My child used to attend Providence and she and I were very unhappy with it. My daughter was in the Media program and loved the teacher but the other staff there were not respectful or helpful at all. It got so bad that I had to pull my daughter out after freshman year. I put her in a local public high school and I am so glad I did! It has been the best thing to happen to us. The staff is delightful and my daughter is in AP classes and maintains a 3.8 GPA. The counselors at Providence seem to have counseling down as their last priority. If you are thinking about enrolling your child in this school, I highly reccomend on saving your dollar and not taking the chance. You think the school is great but really, they just want your money.

Posted June 24, 2006

As a former student I agree that the majority of students attend CSUN.The counselors are not helpful at all and there is not much college prep.It's a nice school, very small.The sports program is barely decent. Not a very good experience.There are much better schools for the price.
—Submitted by a former student

Posted May 4, 2006

Great media & health focus programs; no study hall after school; small library

Posted August 2, 2004

As a former member of this school. I would like to say that this school doesnt comply to what parents really see. While some departments are overflowed with resources other are severely lacking some. Providence also lacks the extracurricular activites in which many parents look for. Religion is strictly enforced upon the students, many in which show much dissapproval for. Consueling wise the school made it up to the students to do it themselves, and when many are not seeking conseling, they decide at last moment to make a long winded speech about it. College selection wise, if you want your son/daughter to go to Cal State Northridge then by all means send them here. I'm not saying Northridge is a bad school, but that often 50%+ ends up going there coining the term '2nd providence.' Only a selected few really go where they want and community college is usually what everyone else does.
—Submitted by a former student

Posted June 14, 2004

This is a wonderful high school with a very strong foundation to go on in either the Medical field or Entertainment. They offer many Extracurricular activities for the childen as well as a good sports program. The best money every invested.

Posted December 2, 2003

Providence has been a great choice in schools for our family. It is a safe and friendly environment. I have always felt comfortable talking to any staff about issues. Two of my children have graduated from Providence and gone on to 4 year Colleges. Our youngest is presently a student and is very happy with the school. There are many alumini working and volunteering at the school that alone tells alot about how comfortable the school is.

Posted November 30, 2003

Providence may not be a perfect school for some, however, those who do attend Providence and choose to stay seem very content with the amount of security and attention given to each student. As a parent I am very pleased with the amount of involvement parents can have with the school. What better way to be involved in your child's life. The administration is always looking for ways to improve. We may want perfection but sometimes we have to remember that the school deals with many different issues at all times. Being a private school, yes they depend on the tuition, donations and fund raisers in order to contribute to the betterment of the school. No parent is forced to pay above and beyond the contract and those who do want to and are not forced to.

Posted November 26, 2003

The quality of education is great. The teachers are very good, and they care about their students. Yes, they have homework every night, but isn t that how they prepare for their next class? My daughter who graduated last summer was accepted to a major university in Northern California for an accelerated professional program just on her grades and Providence s reputation. This school instills discipline, values, punctuality, responsibility, and many other traits that most teenagers need but seem to have an issue obtaining it. Yes, this is a private school and it does cost a small fortune to attend it, but comparing it to other privates, it is within the same range. The most important aspect of this school is that your son or daughter is not a number, but he or she is actually a face, a name that is recognized by his or her teachers and the same applies to the parents who are recognized by the administration for their efforts. We chose Providence 5 years ago, and we have no regrets for our choice, it was a wise choice, it was an investment in our children s future, and our investment is showing a great rate of return. As some others have stated: Providence is the Best!

Posted November 25, 2003

I strongly agree with the other parent's comments. The administration is notably incompetent and obviously driven only by the almighty dollar. Their one great skill is creating the appearance of a school community. They are renowned for driving away good teachers due to their lack of support.

Posted November 24, 2003

As a freshman parent I can't believe how wonderful this school is. The campus, the safety I feel for my daughter there. The small community, the teachers and staff are great people. My child couldn't have picked a better high school. We are so happy at Providence.

Posted November 22, 2003

Providence High School has a wonderful staff of teachers and administrators that nuture, teach and continuously care about all of the students. My second child is a freshman at Providence and I am and have always been completely satisfied with all aspects of the school. If you have a questions about anything it is always easy to talk to any teacher or administrator and I feel my child is completely safe and she comes home happy every day and never dreads going to school in the morning because each day is interesting and educational. To sum all this up: Providence is the Best!

Posted November 22, 2003

Providence High School provides students with a great college prep education. The teachers and administrative staff are wonderful and nuturing. My second child is now a freshman at Providence and I am completely and totally satisfied with every aspect. The campus is safe and has a family-like atmosphere. To sum this up: Providence is the best!!!

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab

• Mr. Joe Sciuto
  • Coed
Affiliation
  • Roman catholic
Associations
  • NCEA

Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Religious

• Computer lab
  • Library
Partnerships with local resources and organizations
  • Archdiocese of Los Angeles