9-12|Private

Bad
Good

Posted May 17, 2013
As a public school teacher I chose Providence for my child because of the attention teachers pay to their students, community atmosphere, safety and academic rigor. My son has friends in the local public high school that have As in their AP classes, but cannot pass the AP exams vs. students at Providence that have over an 80% rate of passing. His English classes were also superior. I love the choice of friends he has made too. The athletic programs cannot compare the high schools with over 3,000 students, but the pros by far out weigh the cons. He only had one bad teacher in all his four years here. We love it at Providence!

Posted February 05, 2013
We are about to have both our kids attend PHS. Rate of satsifaction for my wife and I are very high. The only thing I wish they would change is how they award scholarships to students. It should be open to all the students every year and not just the incoming 9th graders. Our eldest is an A student, but when she took the placement test, she did not score high enough to qualify for a scholarship, but for two years in a row now, she has been averaging A on her grades, but is not able to qualify for a scholarship because it is only available to the incoming 9th graders and renewable only to those who have gotten it in the first place.

Posted May 09, 2012
Providence is an amazing High School. Their Media, Medical, and Technology Focus programs are first rate. A student can truly be involved in all aspects of the school. The visual and performing arts department is professional grade. It is the best value for the tuition I have seen.

Posted September 28, 2011
As parents and professionals we looked at more than 10 High Schools for our daughter and after we attended the first parent meeting at Providence High School we knew our daughter would succeed here. The teachers are both positive and exceptional. Every homework assignment, test and quiz is posted on the internet along with the teachers e-mail if you have a question. The students have access to their own assignments and progress. Our daughter is being taught by a handful of master's prepared teachers as well as an M.D. . When I talked to the director of admissions she told me that 18 of her students last year were accepted to UCLA. The school also has a code of ethics and the students lockers for the most part do not have locks on them. If you are looking for a private school that will assure your child's success, don't look any further than Providence. It is definitely the right choice.

Providence High School 2

Posted August 13, 2011
I used to attend Providence in 9th grade. I attended public elementary and middle school and my parents wanted to send me to a private school because it is supposedly "better". 3 months here and I didn't see a single reason to why the school was better than the public schools I went to and let my tell you they weren't the best public schools. The teachers were okay, but when it came to the overall atmosphere, I absolutely hated it. I met some awesome students there and in fact I still to this day keep in touch with them but most of the school population just seemed like it was filled with rich spoiled snobs. I transferred to an LAUSD public school after 9th grade and my friends who still went there always told me "God you're so lucky you left." I'm sure my opinion is a bit bias since I've been here for a year and I'm sure they have some really good programs but most of my friends that went here really didn't seem to like it there. If you are a parent and willing to shell out a bunch of money because it is higher quality compared to a public school, then I would reconsider. As someone who's been to both, the quality of education of a private school is no more better than a public.

Providence High School 1

Posted June 03, 2011
Do not send your child to Providence. The May 2011 review is not accurate. The principal was removed last year and there has been an interim this year. They have another new principal for next year. The English department favors female students, in our opinion. The counselors don't seem to know what they are doing. Our experience was very negative. Do not voice your concerns because it appeared to us that there was blatant retaliation. There are plenty of really good schools in the area that will truly care about your child and practice the values of a Catholic community.

Providence High School

Posted May 11, 2010
Providence is an excellent school. The small school atmosphere means that your child is known individually and is not simply a face in the crowd. In 2006 there was a change in administration and over the last four years, in response to student and parent input, the school has beefed up its counselling department, expanded the Visual and Performing Arts curriculum and added key, UC approved electives in the Humanities and Sciences. Beginning three years ago, specialized study labs in English and Math were implemented in an effort to help struggling students. Providence really is a great place to learn.

Posted March 20, 2009
I'm a current student at Providence High, and I've never felt more welcome anywhere before. The best feature of this school is the people. The freshmen troublemakers are straightened out rather quickly and there isn't any bullying. We are so trusting of each other that locks are optional on ther lockers (i don't keep one). It's also fun to be able to walk through the halls and know everyone, even Seniors. I definitely recommend this school to parents who want their student to learn in a safe, fun, and nurturing environment. Students also connect with their teachers here. Many of the staff is filled with alumni who loved the school so much, they came back to teach here. Also, there aren't cliques, gangs, raging stereotypes, or drug problems at Providence. Every day I come home cheerful, telling my mum all about my wonderful times at Providence High.

Providence High School 1

Posted June 10, 2008
My child used to attend Providence and she and I were very unhappy with it. My daughter was in the Media program and loved the teacher but the other staff there were not respectful or helpful at all. It got so bad that I had to pull my daughter out after freshman year. I put her in a local public high school and I am so glad I did! It has been the best thing to happen to us. The staff is delightful and my daughter is in AP classes and maintains a 3.8 GPA. The counselors at Providence seem to have counseling down as their last priority. If you are thinking about enrolling your child in this school, I highly reccomend on saving your dollar and not taking the chance. You think the school is great but really, they just want your money.

Providence High School 2

Posted June 24, 2006
As a former student I agree that the majority of students attend CSUN.The counselors are not helpful at all and there is not much college prep.It's a nice school, very small.The sports program is barely decent. Not a very good experience.There are much better schools for the price.

Providence High School
511 South Buena Vista Street, Burbank, CA  91505
Last modified Providence High School is a Private school that serves grades 9-12