No rating

MUSE School CA

Private | PK-12 | 150 students

MUSE is best known for Passion Based Learning and Sustainability.

Living in Calabasas

Situated in a suburban neighborhood. The median home value is $825,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $2,210.

Posted September 30, 2014

Great School! Been here for 5 yrs. I have not had any of the issues the previous parents have discussed. The head of the school is amazing! One of a kind! Teachers are fabulous and my child is thriving!

Posted September 29, 2014

This is our 4th year at Muse. We have had an amazing 4 years and have no plans of leaving. Everyone experiences schools differently. I was surprised to read one if the other reviews about the school catering to celebrities. We are not a celebrity family and we have not seen any sort of favoritism or special treatment. But again, parents will experience things differently. Honestly, in every school, there will be parts of the program one likes and dislikes. Our child is thriving! That's important to us! It's respect to the head of the school, it's unfortunate that the previous parents/teachers perceive him as they do. He has been consistent, honest, supportive, and he is a fabulous leader. Thank you Muse for all you do for us!!

Posted September 6, 2014

Children that leave Muse Elementary are consistently behind one year. Example is daughter attended Muse for since age 3 is thru 1st Grade. Is now 7 1/2 and could not pass Public School 1st grade testing. to progress as normally into 2nd Grade.Can barely read and do simplistic math only. So she must start over in 1st grade. Too much emphasis on "being Green" and not enough academics being taught. Do not waste your money and your child's future.

Posted August 16, 2014

I visited for a day to the 1st grade class to see how was the education system they promised inside the classroom. Well, first of all, when The class started with an hour-long video of Niel the scientist guy explaining what electricity is. (Instrad of having the teacher explain) afterwards they were supposed to write an essay but the kids wouldnt want to do it so it took about an hour more. The teacher never bothered to check their grammar nor spelling. After this they had the winter festival rehersal ( the only time I saw the teachers have some kind of discipline). Finally they had like two hours in which the kids had to decide between writing in their notebooks, reading (books that were to simple for first graders), coloring a picture about their little essay and playing connect four. Ok, i get that they have this passion learning system and focused in each child but seriously! Those activities for an outrageous tuition.

Posted June 30, 2014

My 2 children have had an outstanding experience at Muse school. My son was in 3rd Grade and my Daughter was in 2nd Grade, both teachers were fantastic. The principle really cares about the children's needs and make sure that each and every family is looked after and made to feel welcomed along with the office staff. This school pushes the child to there abilities, its very forward thinking and your child is not left behind but encouraged to excel to their full potential, both my kids are striving, I am deeply sad that due to family circumstances we had to relocate back to the UK, but I just can't be thankful enough for the amazing education my children have received, along with the science, Arts, Maths Specialist, Woodwork and so much more as the list goes on and on. I would definitely recommend this school if you want your child to have a well rounded education with so much more. Thank you Muse.

Posted June 19, 2014

This was my first and last year with Muse. I should have known better when the principal kept saying that students were one to 2 grade levels higher by the end of the year. I should have asked where this information came from. Students are not tested before or after so how does he know that students are higher at the end of the year? My child was higher in a public school before coming to Muse. My child cannot sit for long periods of time and cannot do basic skills like remember to put a name on his paper. the school says that they encourage children to listen to their body. My child will walk out on a conversation to use the bathroom or do something else. No respect! My child is so far behind, he has to repeat a grade at his new school. I paid too much money to have him repeat a grade. He wasn't allowed to bring food on campus and would come home starving. While the food is great, it's not for children's growing bodies. They need to eat more than what is provided. The teachers are great, but they are leaving in droves...I wonder why...(we are never told why a teacher randomly leaves). What a shame.

Posted June 8, 2014

I will be short and direct. No one has a voice other then one person there who founded the school. Period! They are becoming fully vegan this coming year which means any one who has other needs are out. The focus is to their celebrity families. The head of school is a complete utterly embarrassment. I refuse to go into details. They are not a credited school. There's no stability with teachers. I have seen five teachers leave in one school years and more will leave this coming year if they re able to find a job some where else. These are facts that are coming from parents and teachers i have spoken to. You decide by going to the school and doing your diligence. 40 percent of families are leaving the school this year. Teachers are decent but cannot be vocal in fear of losing their job. If you have any inertest in this school please go see it for yourself. I ultimately made the decision to have my child attend the school but feel i wasted our time and money. I don t hate nor dislike the school but I feel a need to let other parents know of what is happening.

Posted May 28, 2014

MUSE is a rare find in age of standardized testing and well meaning but poorly concieved educational reforms. My child is thriving at MUSE. He loves the teachers and staff, and dances his way to the car after school, sharing all of his adventures and learnings each day. The individualized learning plans, differentiated instruction and relationship-based teaching is core to MUSE's sucess and students growth. MUSE is evolving and some former parents are clearly uncomfortable with changes implemented to sustain and build a new and unchartered school. The directorship clearly communicates the need and urgency behind these changes. We certainly see these changes as positive. If you are seeking an alternative to public school education and are a fan of the pedagogies of eduction-revolution advocates, Sir Ken Robinson, John Dewy etc, check MUSE out. We could not be happier with this little (but growing) inspired school!

Posted May 14, 2014

We were dissappointed in the school for many reasons. For prospective parents I would suggest really looking at actual work done by the students. There is a deficiency in proper teachers who stay and the reliance on student internet based research is shameful. The internet is not a substitute for a great teacher. A passion based/ personalised curriculum in an inspiring environment surrounded by quality educators is what we signed up for, but Muse sadly falls way short.

Posted April 30, 2014

At first we thought Muse was the perfect Shangri-la. The reality behind the beauty and the seemingly wonderful curriculum is that it is a dangerous place run by disorganized non-educators who think children should learn by being dressed-down and feel parents are bad for their children. Many teachers will quietly tell you they are not supported at all. The field trips are like prison-system outward bound experiences with no concern for the safety or well-being of the child. If you doubt this review, look into the teacher and student attrition rates. The administration is not honest about these facts so ask parents of different grades. Some teachers are very good because they were lured in by the idea and the mission. But, in reality, they are secretly pretty miserable or they leave.

Posted March 3, 2014

We have nothing but great things to say about MUSE school. Our child just enrolled this school year in the ECE program and over the past 5 months has grown tremendously Emotionally, Independently & Socially. This is our 1st school experience & for our child to want to come to school everyday and come home talking about his great adventures is fantastic. Not only do we feel safe, but the Staff & Administration make us feel at home. We always wanted our children to have a hands on experience & believe we have found that & much more at MUSE.

Posted March 1, 2014

We could not be happier with our experience at MUSE. Our daughter is so excited to go to school everyday and can't wait to tell us what amazing things she has done. The learning at MUSE is definitely passion based with hands on learning. I think this helps the children retain what they have learned for a lifetime rather then just for an exam and then forget it. I see teachers and children of all grades saying hi, playing with and being friends with my daughter. She is loved and embraced by all and know one even notices her disability. She is passionate about the things she is learning. As soon as our son turned of age we got him signed up too! We would never go to another school. We interviewed at dozens of schools and MUSE was the right choice for us. We feel privileged to be apart of this amazing program and experience. Thank you MUSE for allowing us to be apart of your family as we feel like this is our extended family. As far as the changes in staff, we have not seen it adversely effect us. I trust in the school that they are making the right decisions for our children.

Posted March 1, 2014

I was stunned to see the disparaging reviews from former MUSE parents. Our previous educational "journey" at both a private preparatory school and a top-tier public school ran the gamut of hastily prescribed special education labels, meager gifted and talented (GATE) programs and endless testing and meeting with school officials. No self awareness or self-efficacy training. When public schools criticize MUSE because a child is "behind" think of the criteria by which public schools compare children...ie, high stakes testing . The controversial "No Child Left Behind" policy has been clearly been shown to be a failure. With no emphasis on social-emotional development, self direction or ability to think independently or on problem solving skills, what would one expect? MUSE gets that part. The Process Communication Method (PCM) which is practiced and taught by MUSE teachers and staff is simply a means to that end. As a career scientist with a passion for life-long learning, I am delighted that my child has thrived at MUSE. Sure MUSE has had some growing pains. It is a small school with big dreams. The teachers at MUSE are excellent, and the directorship highly capable.

Posted March 1, 2014

We have two children at Muse School. This school is a dream come true for our family. Our children are responding greatly to the curriculum and the ideal setting. Our children work on a higher level than their previously number 10 ranked school. We love that the school supports deeper study in their passions. Our kids are no longer bored at school. They enjoy sharing their projects and talking about what happens at school. We love that their teachers provide individual attention and use what they are passionate about to further their understanding. At Muse our children are given the opportunity to work at their own pace which is great for gifted and talented kids. They are not held back from advacing because they need to stay on par with their classmates. The kitchen is certified organic and the school menu is amazing! This place is like no other. Muse is non traditional school at its best.

Posted February 28, 2014

Muse has been such a let down. Muse tells you what they think you want to hear(check out PCM) about how they are going to teach your child,then don't deliver. They hide behind the term of "self Efficacy" to blame the students for not learning anything. For a very expensive private school, they don't even give a low public school education. Our daughters and son will not be returning to MUSE and I would advise anyone touring the school to ask the important questions. Why is the head of school not an educator or someone with years of experience in education?Muse pushes a lot of PsychoTherapy because that is what the head of school is, an MSW. Who wants to pay to gamble with their child like that? At one point the school told us that our children would be exposed to technology everyday in the classroom and then later on when we asked where the technology was, we were told that they were a "Waldorf School", there is no technology. When we asked what happened to the passionate French teacher, they claimed that she retired. What teacher retires in the middle of the school year?They claimed to have a "GREEN STEAM" program, but that never materialized. MUSE is pricey homeschooling at best.

Posted February 28, 2014

Muse has been a wonderful experience for our family. Our daughter is in the Early Education program and we are very impressed with her teachers. She is cared for and nurtured at Muse which was a top priority for me. The staff is warm and engaging, the campus idealic and the progress of creating an environmentally sustainable school while giving back to the local community is inspiring. The issues arising from staff leaving mid year is alarming and we hope that whatever the administration is doing is for the good of our school community . I think the parents need more reassurance of stability. Despite the Issues we love the school and hope to be there for years to come.

Posted February 28, 2014

MUSE has been a dream come true for us. We love the campus, the curriculum, the staff, the students, the field trips and the after school classes. My daughter had the flu this week and was choked up Tuesday morning when I told her that she had to wait one more day before she went back. She has not had a single unhappy school day at MUSE since she started in September. She has grown tremendously in all areas including academics. She believes in her passions and her ability to make her dreams come true. I'm deeply grateful to MUSE and the MUSE Community.

Posted February 28, 2014

MUSE School is a fabulous school all around. When we were searching for a school for our first born who is now 5 years old; Me and my wife dedicate our lives towards finding the best education that also had passion based learning and a focus on on the child emotional stability. We wanted a place where we felt comfortable knowing our child was getting the proper attention. We looked at about 25 schools and narrowed it down to the 5 top schools in Los Angeles in which we ended up picking MUSE for many of reasons. The first walk through was excellent. The New Family Camp Out at MUSE was ground breaking in which we were hosted by the teachers and faculty in a over night camping event with our child amongst other parents and their children which gave us parent a bond that we would never forget. Once school started; Our child was excited to go so and is still excited to go everyday. The passion based learning along with the self efficacy is also implemented which is awesome for our child. Our child feels like and does achieve in every aspect that MUSE learning programs offer. Their approach to nutrition and health is the best. The campus is beautiful and peaceful. Get MUSED!

Posted February 28, 2014

MUSE School is Perfect for my son. He is learning so much through his passions. We, His parents and family are so happy to see his actions and expressions about his school. He speaks highly of his teachers, faculty members, and his peers (Students). For us; We have great relationships with other parents and the MUSE community is ever so close to each other. Everyone is REALLY dedicated towards assisting our son in the life lessons he will use to champion himself amongst the society we live in and around. The after school programs are fabulous. The faculty REALLY cares about the students and families. The head of school is a breath of fresh air in terms of keeping the school community perfect compliance wise and well informed. The security, mentors, falconer, and administration are true ambassadors to the school. Plus the school Chef; Wow, great job with the wonderful healthy menus. The school is very proud on picking the best teachers and in a imperfect world; they know how to deal with the ongoing changes to make a well defined represented school body. MUSE School in summary is the best choice we as parents made for our son. Signed, Content Kindergarten Parent.

Posted February 27, 2014

Love Muse! Our child is getting a wonderful education! We couldn't be happier! I would encourage parents to take a tour and see for yourself. I would recommend Muse to anyone.

Asian or Pacific Islander 0% 11%

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Assistant principal(s)
Art teacher(s)
Music teacher(s)
PE instructor(s)
Robotics/Technology specialist(s)
Security personnel
Foreign languages spoken by school staff Chinese (Mandarin)
French
Spanish
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by a school official.

Special education / special needs

Level of special education programming offered
  • Differentiated learning programs

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Engineering

• Cooking/Nutrition teacher(s)
  • PE instructor(s)
  • Access to sports fields
  • Kitchen
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")
  • Swimming pool

Gifted & talented

• Acceleration

School start time
  • 8:30 am
School end time
  • 3:00 pm
Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • After school: ends at 5:00 p.m.
Best ways for parents to contact the school
  • Phone
Age at which early childhood or Pre-K program begins
  • 2 years old
Boarding options
  • Day school
Is there an application process?

Instructional and/or curriculum models used

• Core knowledge

• Social justice
  • Technology
  • Visual arts
  • Writing
Bi-lingual or language immersion programs offered

Level of special education programming offered

• Audiovisual aids
  • Internet access
  • Kitchen
  • Learning lab
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")
  • Music room
  • Outdoor learning lab
  • Performance stage
  • Playground
  • Science lab
  • Swimming pool
Partnerships with local resources and organizations

Sports

• Graphics
  • Technical design and production
  • Video / Film production

Student clubs

Clubs (distinct from courses)
  • Drama club
  • Foreign language club: Mandarin Chinese

School culture

Dress Code
  • Neither uniforms nor dress code
Bullying policy
  • This school has a bullying and/or cyber bullying policy in place.
  • Attend parent nights
  • Join PTO/PTA
  • Mentor
  • Organize cultural events
  • Organize fundraising events (school auction, bake sales, etc.)
  • Present special topics during curricular units
  • Serve on school improvement team or governance council
  • Volunteer in the classroom
  • Volunteer time after school

This school accepts applications on a

rolling basis

Apply now

What are your chances?

8 out of 10students were accepted for the 2013-2014 school year.

Students accepted for the 2013-2014 school year