Calabasas, CA

Posted April 14, 2015
Buyer Beware. They make a lot of promises but deliver on very few. The kids where not encouraged to treat each other well. We saw a lot of bullying. The curricula is disjointed and disorganized. When we left the school my young son said, "I wasn't learning anything anyways." I would encourage parents to spend a lot of time in the classroom before going to this school. Ask to see example projects and work, you might be surprised how little the kids actually do.

MUSE School CA 3

Posted March 26, 2015
this is the kind of school i have been seaarching for BUT the annual tuition is apx 23,000$ for grade school. so sad that our children suffer in the public school system, when a school like this exists i would move to cali just for this school but there's absolutely no way I can afford 20,000 for my 11 year old to go to school. thats absolutely insane and disheartening, im all down for paying for school but i barely make more than that on an annual salary.. so unfortunate for all the children being denied access to a REAL school, its almost heart breaking i have been looking for this school for almost a year now to find it and not be able to afford it, its awful.

Posted March 04, 2015
This school has been a life saver. My son entered mid year in 6th grade. We needed an alternative to LAUSD where he was getting bullied, where kids we cutting and in general very negative. Although I do not think the education is bad at some LAUSD schools, I think the atmosphere is. It's my opinion that its more important to be a good human being than to pass tests. Muse's focus is on the student, not test scores. My son has thrived there under the passion based, independent research program. In a year and a half I see such a change in him. He is confident, happy and intellectually stimulated. I feel very safe having him at Muse, which is priceless. We love his teacher, J., and all the staff and Muse community are wonderful. The small learning environment is so much less stressful than public schools. We feel very fortunate to have found Muse.

Posted February 07, 2015
We left a Waldorf school to attend MUSE. We were looking for a progressive school with more academic challenge than we had before. We are quite pleased with MUSE. Students are expected to initiate and organize projects in a manner that is very challenging. The school follows state standards with an ample helping of art, music and sustainable living guidance. My kids are shutting off the lights at home and shortening showers! Much has been made about the Vegan food, but the fact is that complete protein offerings are always available, and my kids find the food very delicious. My kids are enjoying learning again.

Posted September 30, 2014
Great School! Been here for 5 yrs. I have not had any of the issues the previous parents have discussed. The head of the school is amazing! One of a kind! Teachers are fabulous and my child is thriving!
2 people found this helpful

Posted September 29, 2014
This is our 4th year at Muse. We have had an amazing 4 years and have no plans of leaving. Everyone experiences schools differently. I was surprised to read one if the other reviews about the school catering to celebrities. We are not a celebrity family and we have not seen any sort of favoritism or special treatment. But again, parents will experience things differently. Honestly, in every school, there will be parts of the program one likes and dislikes. Our child is thriving! That's important to us! It's respect to the head of the school, it's unfortunate that the previous parents/teachers perceive him as they do. He has been consistent, honest, supportive, and he is a fabulous leader. Thank you Muse for all you do for us!!
2 people found this helpful

Posted September 06, 2014
Children that leave Muse Elementary are consistently behind one year. Example is daughter attended Muse for since age 3 is thru 1st Grade. Is now 7 1/2 and could not pass Public School 1st grade testing. to progress as normally into 2nd Grade.Can barely read and do simplistic math only. So she must start over in 1st grade. Too much emphasis on "being Green" and not enough academics being taught. Do not waste your money and your child's future.
5 people found this helpful

Posted August 16, 2014
I visited for a day to the 1st grade class to see how was the education system they promised inside the classroom. Well, first of all, when The class started with an hour-long video of Niel the scientist guy explaining what electricity is. (Instrad of having the teacher explain) afterwards they were supposed to write an essay but the kids wouldnt want to do it so it took about an hour more. The teacher never bothered to check their grammar nor spelling. After this they had the winter festival rehersal ( the only time I saw the teachers have some kind of discipline). Finally they had like two hours in which the kids had to decide between writing in their notebooks, reading (books that were to simple for first graders), coloring a picture about their little essay and playing connect four. Ok, i get that they have this passion learning system and focused in each child but seriously! Those activities for an outrageous tuition.
4 people found this helpful

Posted June 30, 2014
My 2 children have had an outstanding experience at Muse school. My son was in 3rd Grade and my Daughter was in 2nd Grade, both teachers were fantastic. The principle really cares about the children's needs and make sure that each and every family is looked after and made to feel welcomed along with the office staff. This school pushes the child to there abilities, its very forward thinking and your child is not left behind but encouraged to excel to their full potential, both my kids are striving, I am deeply sad that due to family circumstances we had to relocate back to the UK, but I just can't be thankful enough for the amazing education my children have received, along with the science, Arts, Maths Specialist, Woodwork and so much more as the list goes on and on. I would definitely recommend this school if you want your child to have a well rounded education with so much more. Thank you Muse.

Posted June 19, 2014
This was my first and last year with Muse. I should have known better when the principal kept saying that students were one to 2 grade levels higher by the end of the year. I should have asked where this information came from. Students are not tested before or after so how does he know that students are higher at the end of the year? My child was higher in a public school before coming to Muse. My child cannot sit for long periods of time and cannot do basic skills like remember to put a name on his paper. the school says that they encourage children to listen to their body. My child will walk out on a conversation to use the bathroom or do something else. No respect! My child is so far behind, he has to repeat a grade at his new school. I paid too much money to have him repeat a grade. He wasn't allowed to bring food on campus and would come home starving. While the food is great, it's not for children's growing bodies. They need to eat more than what is provided. The teachers are great, but they are leaving in droves...I wonder why...(we are never told why a teacher randomly leaves). What a shame.
5 people found this helpful