PK-12|Private

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (3 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Just right (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Very effective (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Student (1 response)

Posted February 16, 2016
I have two children in Muse, first grade and pre-k, and WE ALL love it. My children are exceptionally happy there. What other school in the world can you drop your kids in the middle of a micro valley in the Santa Monica mts, know that they are breathing clean air (by LA standards, at least), drinking purified water, fed food they grow, cooked in a vegan, organic, gmo-free kitchen, and all in a chemical free environment--and then go hike with your dog in the miles of trails that surround the school? I know that might sound like a whole bunch of hippies got together to form a dream school-but Muse is more complex and modern than that. They've read the studies, done the work, and understand the importance of ecology for both the well being of today's children and our planet. It's a noble aspiration. Educationally, I've heard the wrap about the lack of academic rigor, and as a parent at the school, I don't buy it. Muse has a passion-based curriculum, and that's a bit hard for some parents to get their head around. Yes, maybe in some "standardized test" way your first grader might appear behind the curve, but what they are learning goes far beyond the traditional model and influences their whole value system and way of thinking. The apparent start might appear academically slow, but as they ramp up, the kids take off educationally and they love it! Essentially, what passion based learning means is the school works to integrate core curriculum elements into a child's specific interests. It's a novel way to approach education, and from what I've seen with my kids and older kids I've met at the school--particularly older kids--it works. The kids end up loving school and developing a life-long love of learning. Every school is going to have its issues, public or private, but given what I've experienced in our first 7 months, our entire family loves MUSE. The parents are also really cool and we've made some great friends, and the school does a terrific job of offsetting tuition costs and creating a diverse parent-student environment. Muse is a wonderful school.

Posted February 16, 2016
I wish all schools followed the MUSE example of passion-based learning. Our daughter is thriving...she never wants to miss a day and most importantly has a love for learning which her peers at other schools don't seem to share. The teachers are amazing, the campus is a little piece of heaven and the sense of community is second to none.

Posted June 01, 2015
There is not enough words to express how happy we are to have our children at muse. This school should be the example of how all schools should be. Every child deserves to be inspired and to be educated in an environment that cultivates creativity. our kids are thriving and being pushed academically and loving it!

MUSE School CA 1

Posted April 14, 2015
Buyer Beware. They make a lot of promises but deliver on very few. The kids where not encouraged to treat each other well. We saw a lot of bullying. The curricula is disjointed and disorganized. When we left the school my young son said, "I wasn't learning anything anyways." I would encourage parents to spend a lot of time in the classroom before going to this school. Ask to see example projects and work, you might be surprised how little the kids actually do.

MUSE School CA 3

Posted March 26, 2015
this is the kind of school i have been seaarching for BUT the annual tuition is apx 23,000$ for grade school. so sad that our children suffer in the public school system, when a school like this exists i would move to cali just for this school but there's absolutely no way I can afford 20,000 for my 11 year old to go to school. thats absolutely insane and disheartening, im all down for paying for school but i barely make more than that on an annual salary.. so unfortunate for all the children being denied access to a REAL school, its almost heart breaking i have been looking for this school for almost a year now to find it and not be able to afford it, its awful.

Posted March 04, 2015
This school has been a life saver. My son entered mid year in 6th grade. We needed an alternative to LAUSD where he was getting bullied, where kids we cutting and in general very negative. Although I do not think the education is bad at some LAUSD schools, I think the atmosphere is. It's my opinion that its more important to be a good human being than to pass tests. Muse's focus is on the student, not test scores. My son has thrived there under the passion based, independent research program. In a year and a half I see such a change in him. He is confident, happy and intellectually stimulated. I feel very safe having him at Muse, which is priceless. We love his teacher, J., and all the staff and Muse community are wonderful. The small learning environment is so much less stressful than public schools. We feel very fortunate to have found Muse.

Posted February 07, 2015
We left a Waldorf school to attend MUSE. We were looking for a progressive school with more academic challenge than we had before. We are quite pleased with MUSE. Students are expected to initiate and organize projects in a manner that is very challenging. The school follows state standards with an ample helping of art, music and sustainable living guidance. My kids are shutting off the lights at home and shortening showers! Much has been made about the Vegan food, but the fact is that complete protein offerings are always available, and my kids find the food very delicious. My kids are enjoying learning again.

Posted September 30, 2014
Great School! Been here for 5 yrs. I have not had any of the issues the previous parents have discussed. The head of the school is amazing! One of a kind! Teachers are fabulous and my child is thriving!

Posted September 29, 2014
This is our 4th year at Muse. We have had an amazing 4 years and have no plans of leaving. Everyone experiences schools differently. I was surprised to read one if the other reviews about the school catering to celebrities. We are not a celebrity family and we have not seen any sort of favoritism or special treatment. But again, parents will experience things differently. Honestly, in every school, there will be parts of the program one likes and dislikes. Our child is thriving! That's important to us! It's respect to the head of the school, it's unfortunate that the previous parents/teachers perceive him as they do. He has been consistent, honest, supportive, and he is a fabulous leader. Thank you Muse for all you do for us!!

MUSE School CA 1

Posted September 06, 2014
Children that leave Muse Elementary are consistently behind one year. Example is daughter attended Muse for since age 3 is thru 1st Grade. Is now 7 1/2 and could not pass Public School 1st grade testing. to progress as normally into 2nd Grade.Can barely read and do simplistic math only. So she must start over in 1st grade. Too much emphasis on "being Green" and not enough academics being taught. Do not waste your money and your child's future.

MUSE School CA