No rating

Viewpoint School

Private | K-12 | 1211 students

Living in Calabasas

Situated in a suburban neighborhood. The median home value is $825,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $2,210.

Posted September 8, 2014

The negativity in some of the reviews is unfounded and hints to a bit of individual bitterness. I have two children that have attended the school from kindergarten through high school. Viewpoint s personal, non-cookie-cutter, approach has successfully built on their individual strengths, while also improving their challenge areas. The school s culture is its single highest attribute. Yes, it is challenging, but the students are supported not only by the teachers and administration, but more importantly by their diverse peer group. We have seen through our children that the well-rounded student body (most of the students not only excel academically, but participate in team sports and the arts) truly cares for one another. The 1% culture and corporate references from the misguided Occupy Wall Street movement are an unwarranted and a sorry attempt to degrade a great school s reputation.

Posted August 19, 2014

I have to disagree with the poster re AP and SAT subject tests. My child scored much higher on the subject tests than the SAT 1 would suggest. Educational content is topnotch. AP tests were solid too.

Posted August 12, 2014

I attended Viewpoint from 3rd-8th grade, where I was able to benefit from both advanced academic courses and a variety of electives, such as ceramics, calligraphy, dance, music, and other subjects. When we moved and I went to a highly rated public high school, I was rereading books (in AP and honors classes) that I had read in middle school at Viewpoint. I went on to attend Tulane University on an academic scholarship, to attend and graduate from the University of Virginia School of Law, and I am now attending Tulane University School of Medicine. I also run a successful financial firm. My younger brother, who was not the most motivated of students at Viewpoint, went to the Air Force Academy and now holds a PhD in psychology. My brother and I were on financial scholarship at Viewpoint. The parents who complain in reviews about cookie-cutter 1% kids or about low SAT scores probably do not have the brightest children and are looking for a scapegoat on which to blame frustratingly poor results.

Posted August 8, 2014

The school admininstration gives the perception (and illusion) that its academic level is very high but this is not the case. We are seeing it in the school AP and SAT subject scores. The school scores compare to national and state average is not very impressive.

Posted June 3, 2014

While the academics are strong, the school's culture is plagued by the 1%. The students are overly competitive, creating a pressure cooker environment that is challenging both academically and economically. Getting into a highly selective college is great, but so is being a person of varied interests with the ability to connect authentically to others and make a positive impact in the world. Viewpoint is home to cookie cutter kids who achieve because they are told to and because it will lead to financial success, not because of passion or inspiration. There are inspiring teachers and administrators at the school but it is the parent and student body that really sets the tone on campus. It is, after all, a private school and those paying customers expect to have their needs satisfied, not necessarily enlightened. Perhaps a change of leadership (a process that will begin next year as the school's longtime headmaster steps down) will bring progressive change to a school that seems to have risen in the image of corporate America. I do hope so. In the meantime, we are looking at other schools

Posted April 18, 2014

This is an incredible school. The teachers are top notch and the learning environment fosters a love of learning. Children have the opportunity to try everything from sports to the arts. They build good self esteem by being a part of a close knit community.

Posted March 20, 2014

We are in our second year at Viewpoint. My son started in 7th grade and will continue onto the Upper School next school year. Our overall experience to date has been incredible, beginning with the admission process, to the transition to middle school and now onto selecting classes for my son s freshman year in high school. The social and emotional well being of the student is just as important to the administrators and faculty as are the academics. Another important component of the school is its diversity. Diversity is embraced and celebrated through its curriculum and events.

Posted March 18, 2014

Our three children have attended Viewpoint since kindergarten. The school has grown and and improved so much over the last 15 years. The school now has a brand new campus, with state of the art classrooms, sports and art facilities. Viewpoint offers an incredible education, taught by dedicated teachers. Our children have different interests and strengths, and its been a perfect fit for each one.

Posted February 17, 2014

The upper school division really needs to work on to improve the communications with parents. The school needs to implement better tools to facilitate the communications between the teachers and the parents. In our experience, we have had very few real time feedbacks from the teachers. It is important to provide the teachers with the right tool to communicate with the parents on a regular basis so problems can be caught right away. A Viewpoint education is very expensive, so a higher standard should be expected.

Posted February 5, 2014

Viewpoint is an exceptional school. We have two sons who attend. Our first son started in 3rd grade. From his first day, the administration and kids welcomed him with open arms and true friendship.They made obvious efforts to ensure he transitioned seamlessly and made connections quickly. This was an immediate example of strong character both of the children and the staff. We have seen our son thrive in his academics, enthusiasm for learning and personal development. When it came time for our second son, we couldn t imagine enrolling him (currently in Kindergarten) anywhere else. Primary school has exceeded our expectations. Viewpoint provides challenging academics combined with a nurturing environment to ensure each child has the tools for success. The character development, infusion of the arts, sports, and community community service provide children with a well-rounded experience that will prepare them for each consecutive grade and life. Most importantly Viewpoint celebrates the individual.They encourage independent and creative thinking, allowing children to explore their passions. We appreciate having such a perfect partner to guide our children through these pivotal years

Posted January 20, 2014

Viewpoint is wonderful. Our daughter attended for 6th and 7th grade, but we had to move. We thought it was wonderful when we were there, now that we have left, we appreciate it even more. They truly want every child to succeed and find their passion. The middle school requires your child to take a broad variety of electives. If they are struggling academically or socially the teachers and administration notice. The teachers are always available and it's "cool" to go see them at lunch or after school to ask for extra help. A variety of children attend from all over LA. There is every sport, instrument, language, after school activities imaginable. There is an emphasis on character, leadership, but most importantly an extraordinary emphasis on having your child exposed to huge variety of experiences and ideas. Worth every penny and then some! Just wish they had a boarding school, as we would send our daughter back!

Posted January 7, 2014

This school is a treasure! Yes, it has a magical 25-acre campus in a beautiful canyon,. Yes, it has state-of-the-art facilities. Yes, it offers students a well-rounded education that includes music, art, languages, sports, and public speaking (your heart will melt when you see even the kindergarteners speaking confidently and joyfully on stage in the fabulous theater!). Yes, the children learn character and good manners and the value of community service. Yes, there is a welcoming school community where parents can be involved or not. But it all comes down to the incredible, caring teachers and administrators. They figure out what every child needs to thrive whether it s a hug or extra tutoring or the encouragement to push themselves a little further. They allow each student to become a unique individual, to find and follow their passion. They make learning fun and exciting and rewarding. My daughter has looked forward to going to school every single day of the six years she has been at Viewpoint. It just keeps getting better and better. Expensive, yes, but worth every penny. Actually, it s priceless. If you want smart, kind, happy kids, send them the Viewpoint.

Posted December 17, 2013

I couldn't say enough great things about this fine school. One of the best decisions we ever made for our 3 children there. 11th, 9th and 6th gr. currently. Been there for many years and as a seasoned parent I can honestly say, these teachers know these students. (you can't hide or be invisible and that's a great thing!) Teachers and admin are there for the students success. Kids are given so many choices in endless areas, it's hard to pick. Kids look out for other kids, great friends made, there's room for everybody to achieve success. It is okay to be smart, be in choir, play chess, be athletic, be yourself. The faculty cares, & are top notch. Their open door policy to talk to administrators is always welcomed.. My children's transition was seamless coming from a larger school. The opportunities are endless. There are actually too many choices. There is something for everyone. The administration is top notch. The facilities match as well. Everything is done so professionally. and academically the kids thrive.I know without a doubt my kids will be so well prepared for college. You'll miss out if you don't ever consider Viewpoint.

Posted December 5, 2013

Our son attended Viewpoint from 5th to 12th grades. We could not have asked for a better education than he received at Viewpoint. He was academically prepared to apply to the very best universities and when he got to college he had tremendous study habits, time management skills, and an amazing knowledge of the subject matter. His success in AP courses has allowed him to delve further into his engineering courses and he is clearly better prepared academically than most others in his classes. Last, but not least, Viewpoint provided him with a nururing academic environment, as opposed to other private schools which are uber competitive.

Posted July 3, 2013

I am currently a sophmore at Viewpoint and I have gone to this school for 2 years. Peronsally, I couldn't find a more lousy school. Every year there are at least 5 kids per grade (out of 1 hundred) that leave because they agree with me. All the kids are bratty, some more than others, and they love to flaunt their money. The ones that aren't bratty are just rude. The teachers are alright, even though I have had a bad experience. 4 of my teachers this year were new. FOUR. Most of them were underexperienced and 2 of them are leaving. The campus is ugly, and poorly designed. Though it is true that if you push yourself you can get into a fantastic college, I do not believe that going to a school with an enviroment at awful as Viewpoint is worth it.

Posted January 11, 2013

I am currently a student in high school at Viewpoint School and it is certainly a challenge, but I thrive on it. Viewpoint pushes me, both academically and athletically. It is not the place for the faint of heart or the unmotivated. If you push yourself at Viewpoint, you can go to any college that you want. That said, if you stumble or fall behind, catching up can be very hard and you may feel as if you are sinking.

Posted January 7, 2013

I have been going to viewpoint for 12 years now and am a junior. I love the fact that I am challenged academically but I don't think it is the right school for me. People only talk about school and grades and constantly compare each other because of it. I would love this school if there was a better environment and I could appreciate learning. I just see it as a race to the finish by now and would rather be in a more open environment where there is more to talk about than an AP class, a recent test, or how much homework you have.

Posted October 20, 2012

Strong in academics, music,, athletics and the arts, Viewpoint is a hidden gem with a state of the art upper and middle school.

Posted February 23, 2012

I love Viewpoint, I have gone there since Kindergarten. The academics can be difficult but the teachers are very helpful, especially if you're having trouble. It is expensive but I think it is worth it. I love Viewpoint!

Posted October 15, 2011

An amazing and diverse community of exceptional and exceptionally nice people. From the dynamism and active stewardship from the board of trustees - to the incredibly talented and devoted faculty of teachers - to the active parent strong army of volunteers - to the kindness and support of the staff on campus - to the amazingly talented, hardworking and spirited students - all lead by an engaged headmaster who has a strong, well communicated vision for the school. It truly is one of LA's, indeed Californias, preeminent independent schools.

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab