Calabasas, CA

Posted September 08, 2014
The negativity in some of the reviews is unfounded and hints to a bit of individual bitterness. I have two children that have attended the school from kindergarten through high school. Viewpoint s personal, non-cookie-cutter, approach has successfully built on their individual strengths, while also improving their challenge areas. The school s culture is its single highest attribute. Yes, it is challenging, but the students are supported not only by the teachers and administration, but more importantly by their diverse peer group. We have seen through our children that the well-rounded student body (most of the students not only excel academically, but participate in team sports and the arts) truly cares for one another. The 1% culture and corporate references from the misguided Occupy Wall Street movement are an unwarranted and a sorry attempt to degrade a great school s reputation.

Posted August 19, 2014
I have to disagree with the poster re AP and SAT subject tests. My child scored much higher on the subject tests than the SAT 1 would suggest. Educational content is topnotch. AP tests were solid too.

Posted August 12, 2014
I attended Viewpoint from 3rd-8th grade, where I was able to benefit from both advanced academic courses and a variety of electives, such as ceramics, calligraphy, dance, music, and other subjects. When we moved and I went to a highly rated public high school, I was rereading books (in AP and honors classes) that I had read in middle school at Viewpoint. I went on to attend Tulane University on an academic scholarship, to attend and graduate from the University of Virginia School of Law, and I am now attending Tulane University School of Medicine. I also run a successful financial firm. My younger brother, who was not the most motivated of students at Viewpoint, went to the Air Force Academy and now holds a PhD in psychology. My brother and I were on financial scholarship at Viewpoint. The parents who complain in reviews about cookie-cutter 1% kids or about low SAT scores probably do not have the brightest children and are looking for a scapegoat on which to blame frustratingly poor results.

Viewpoint School 2

Posted August 08, 2014
The school admininstration gives the perception (and illusion) that its academic level is very high but this is not the case. We are seeing it in the school AP and SAT subject scores. The school scores compare to national and state average is not very impressive.

Viewpoint School 3

Posted June 03, 2014
While the academics are strong, the school's culture is plagued by the 1%. The students are overly competitive, creating a pressure cooker environment that is challenging both academically and economically. Getting into a highly selective college is great, but so is being a person of varied interests with the ability to connect authentically to others and make a positive impact in the world. Viewpoint is home to cookie cutter kids who achieve because they are told to and because it will lead to financial success, not because of passion or inspiration. There are inspiring teachers and administrators at the school but it is the parent and student body that really sets the tone on campus. It is, after all, a private school and those paying customers expect to have their needs satisfied, not necessarily enlightened. Perhaps a change of leadership (a process that will begin next year as the school's longtime headmaster steps down) will bring progressive change to a school that seems to have risen in the image of corporate America. I do hope so. In the meantime, we are looking at other schools

Posted April 18, 2014
This is an incredible school. The teachers are top notch and the learning environment fosters a love of learning. Children have the opportunity to try everything from sports to the arts. They build good self esteem by being a part of a close knit community.

Posted March 20, 2014
We are in our second year at Viewpoint. My son started in 7th grade and will continue onto the Upper School next school year. Our overall experience to date has been incredible, beginning with the admission process, to the transition to middle school and now onto selecting classes for my son s freshman year in high school. The social and emotional well being of the student is just as important to the administrators and faculty as are the academics. Another important component of the school is its diversity. Diversity is embraced and celebrated through its curriculum and events.

Posted March 18, 2014
Our three children have attended Viewpoint since kindergarten. The school has grown and and improved so much over the last 15 years. The school now has a brand new campus, with state of the art classrooms, sports and art facilities. Viewpoint offers an incredible education, taught by dedicated teachers. Our children have different interests and strengths, and its been a perfect fit for each one.

Viewpoint School 3

Posted February 17, 2014
The upper school division really needs to work on to improve the communications with parents. The school needs to implement better tools to facilitate the communications between the teachers and the parents. In our experience, we have had very few real time feedbacks from the teachers. It is important to provide the teachers with the right tool to communicate with the parents on a regular basis so problems can be caught right away. A Viewpoint education is very expensive, so a higher standard should be expected.
2 people found this helpful

Posted February 05, 2014
Viewpoint is an exceptional school. We have two sons who attend. Our first son started in 3rd grade. From his first day, the administration and kids welcomed him with open arms and true friendship.They made obvious efforts to ensure he transitioned seamlessly and made connections quickly. This was an immediate example of strong character both of the children and the staff. We have seen our son thrive in his academics, enthusiasm for learning and personal development. When it came time for our second son, we couldn t imagine enrolling him (currently in Kindergarten) anywhere else. Primary school has exceeded our expectations. Viewpoint provides challenging academics combined with a nurturing environment to ensure each child has the tools for success. The character development, infusion of the arts, sports, and community community service provide children with a well-rounded experience that will prepare them for each consecutive grade and life. Most importantly Viewpoint celebrates the individual.They encourage independent and creative thinking, allowing children to explore their passions. We appreciate having such a perfect partner to guide our children through these pivotal years

Viewpoint School