No rating

The Waldorf School Of Mendocino County

Private | K-8 | 130 students

Posted December 7, 2011

I have three children at this school and have been here for several years. I have always found the teachers to be extremely dedicated to the children and to the school. My children always love going to school and have exceeded my expectations in learning (compared to my own education as a child). The approach is loving and caring with a wonderful school community of parents. In addition to the academic focus, my children are also learning music, Spanish and art. This is a well rounded education that is worth every single penny.

Posted December 7, 2011

I would never want to send my children anywhere else! We have been attending this school for 8 years now (beginning in preschool) and could not be happier with our children's education. Not only are they excelling academically, they are being taught to solve problems, how to work with their peers, and to show respect and reverence for the world around them. I have never meet a more dedicated group of teachers than those that work at this school, they genuinely care about my children. Our teachers know our children well, and are able to work with them (and us) on an individual level to help them with any issues that they might be having. My children are excited to go to school everyday and are engaged and challenged in the classroom. I have confidence that the education my children are receiving will help them to grow into well rounded, intelligent, and caring adults. This school is well worth the money, I would even go as far to say we are getting far more out of it then we are paying. I feel blessed every day that my children are able to attend this amazing school!

Posted November 28, 2011

There are some very positive things about this school, but the Waldorf method of teaching reading (at least at this school) leaves about 35% of kids confused and struggling. The children's confusion and failure to learn is excused with statements like "The child isn't developmentally ready to read yet. When s/he's ready, s/he will just BLOOM into reading." So the learning problems caused by poor teaching go unrecognized and neglected, and genuine learning disabilities go unrecognized and untreated as well. If you want to send your child to this school, do the child a favor and teach him/her to read at home.

Posted November 10, 2011

If your child has any learning disability at all, keep them away from this school. The teacher wasn't really sure what dyslexia was, much less able to help with it. A complete waste of time. It all sounds very light and wonderful; in practice I found bullying on the playground and a rather terrifying allegiance to a cultish philosophy of education that is outdated and out of step with modern learning.

Posted October 11, 2011

Not what I expected at all. Loved the loving care of the children and the focus on the soul of the child but my child just wasn't taught the 3 R's and when we moved we had a very difficult time integrating into a public school because the other children were so very , very far ahead. Not worth the money if you want your child to get a quality education.

Posted July 3, 2011

I wish all children had the opportunity to experience a Waldorf Education! We would move back to Mendocino County if this school was a K-12. Such a loving, creative and supportive community. I wouldn't want our daughters to go anywhere else. Our friends daughters go to this school and they are bright, kind, creative and talented young girls. This school is a treasure! I've never met a person who has had a Waldorf education that hasn't been successful and so incredibly bright.

Posted April 13, 2010

This is the best system of education I have ever experienced. I have been involved with the school for 25 years and witnessed the quality of students the school produces. When this students go on to high school or university they are always in the top 10% or graduates. If you talk to a former student you will know way you want your children to have this experience.

Posted January 30, 2007

This is a magical place, my children & I love the rich curriculum, music, handwork, movement all given by a close knit faculty that is very attentive. Lots of parent involvement in this small joyful community.

Posted January 29, 2007

What an amazing place to learn. If only my parents had found Waldorf. My children are excited about learning for the first time in their educational life and look forward to going to school. The teachers, students and parents make up such a caring school family, we felt welcomed from the very first. I was concerned about the academics because I always thought of Waldorf as an 'art school' but my children are far ahead of their public school peers. A small school with large accomplishments!

• Ms. Jeanette Owen-Kennedy
  • Coed
Affiliation
  • Nonsectarian
Associations
  • AWSNA

Instructional and/or curriculum models used

• Waldorf