Calpella, CA

Posted August 25, 2015
I'm so happy to share about this wonderful school! For over 40 years they have offered the wonderful Waldorf curriculum to hundreds and hundreds of children. Alumni parents are now sending their own children to this school recognizing how valuable this wholesome and well-rounded education prepared them to be confident and capable adults. A proven educational method used by over 1000 schools worldwide integrating the arts into the academics enlivening the whole educational process. The smaller class sizes and amazing teachers help protect and preserve the innocence and wonder of childhood. Come and check it out for yourself, you'll be so glad you did!

Develops honesty: Strongly agree

Posted August 25, 2015
Moral uprightness is demonstrated by the teachers and expected of the students. It is a core value that permeates throughout the school.

Posted August 25, 2015
we have 2 children at this school and have been there for the past 8 years. the quality of the education is amazing, it is very well rounded. this school is small but we are a strong community that is committed to our kids having a true waldorf education.

The Waldorf School Of Mendocino County 1

Posted August 05, 2015
as a student at this school for over 10 years, I have noticed many things have changed. The over all environment of the school was friendly and had a warm welcoming feel to it. But this was only when I was in pre-school through 4. Once I got into the upper grades, not middle school but "upper grades as they call it" the overall feel of the school completely changed. I noticed more negative and slightly nasty things, for example the bullying situation is out of hand. The way they handle it is by "having the situation resolved by the students in their own time" which didn't help at all, and sometimes would only make it worse. All of the classrooms should be knocked down because of mold all over the outside walls and water leaking through the roof when there would be a heavy rain fall. The grading system is totally wack, and very unfair. For students that want to be challenged in school (me as example) you should not send you child there. If you want to go ahead on a subject or be pushed, you will be told that you have to wait until ALL of the students (even the ones with learning disabilities) understand and can perform well in the subject. I hated going to school. Please don't subject your child to this school.

Posted August 04, 2015
Our kids attended WSMC for several years before our family relocated. You are not likely to find a more dedicated faculty than this one. The teachers genuinely love their students and have great respect for the parents. They bring an incredible amount of energy, experience, and wisdom to the education model. There have been many fluctuations in the administration, but through it all the education has remained top-notch. As for the school community -- you may be asked to contribute a lot, but in return you will have the loving camaraderie of your fellow parents. This school is a place to call home for everyone in the family. We will sorely miss it!

Amount of homework: Just right

Posted July 27, 2015
Not a lot of homework and that's how we prefer it. They do sometimes make children take home work that they don't get done at school.

The Waldorf School Of Mendocino County 1

Posted July 27, 2015
We were so hopeful when we found this school. It seemed so cute and friendly. There are some good teachers (although almost all of them left at the end of this school year due to hemorrhaging enrollment and chronic financial instability) and many well-meaning people. There are also significant problems that prospective families have a right to know about. In looking for specific criticisms I could say that they don't understand that their families are their customers. The school is always in crisis and they look continuously to the families to bail them out with money and time. It wears everyone down. Communication is poor, in part because they are always short staffed but also because in their chronic crisis state they seem to feel that information should only be given on a need-to-know basis. There is no principal or key leader and this is a critical problem. The school is led by the teachers and the ones who have been there longest are There is a failure to deal with bullying in any effective way. In fact, when any of the teachers or staff perceive criticism or resistance to their authority, they become a bully pack themselves. Parents admit to being afraid to speak out for fear of becoming targeted. The students are frequently unsupervised which allows student-to-student bullying to take place. All of this is of course my personal opinion.

Posted May 06, 2015
My child is in this amazing school, its such a special education and its really great if you can stay the course. This education is worth waiting for as far as the way they teach some things later. It all comes together and you realize how un important hurrying your child really is in the grand scheme of this long life. Its the best school in the area. Money is an issue for the school and thats really the only thing that makes it hard on the community. We seem to be turning it around and I believe it will stand strong for years to come.

Posted December 07, 2011
I have three children at this school and have been here for several years. I have always found the teachers to be extremely dedicated to the children and to the school. My children always love going to school and have exceeded my expectations in learning (compared to my own education as a child). The approach is loving and caring with a wonderful school community of parents. In addition to the academic focus, my children are also learning music, Spanish and art. This is a well rounded education that is worth every single penny.

Posted December 07, 2011
I would never want to send my children anywhere else! We have been attending this school for 8 years now (beginning in preschool) and could not be happier with our children's education. Not only are they excelling academically, they are being taught to solve problems, how to work with their peers, and to show respect and reverence for the world around them. I have never meet a more dedicated group of teachers than those that work at this school, they genuinely care about my children. Our teachers know our children well, and are able to work with them (and us) on an individual level to help them with any issues that they might be having. My children are excited to go to school everyday and are engaged and challenged in the classroom. I have confidence that the education my children are receiving will help them to grow into well rounded, intelligent, and caring adults. This school is well worth the money, I would even go as far to say we are getting far more out of it then we are paying. I feel blessed every day that my children are able to attend this amazing school!

6280 Third Street, Calpella, CA  95418
Last modified The Waldorf School Of Mendocino County is a Private school that serves grades K-8
The Waldorf School Of Mendocino County Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 30 reviews. Top