378 students|Pleasant Valley

Bad
Good

I started volunteering at El Descanso last year when my grandson was in kindergarten. He has had a great experience there, with fantastic teachers. He loves school and can already read anything you give him. The teachers at El Descanso are dedicated, talented, caring, and experienced, as are the principal and staff. I highly recommend this school!

My Daughter attended Kindergarten there teacher was so so nothing that we were excited about or my daughter. I do have to say that there are major communication issues with the front desk and the clerical staff. This is our second year were my child's registration was done incorrectly. We drove over today to see what class she was in and again she was not listed the same thing happened to her last year. Funny thing is we got the letter from the teacher and class list. They never said sorry but she was able to attend, they ruined her first day of kindergarten. I was sooo frustrated and angry that this is happening again! I emailed the superintendent about the situation so lets see if she even responds. Now I have to waste time again in Tuesday to get this corrected!!!! My husband and I are seriously thinking of moving to east camarillo just to get her out of that so called school.

When I moved to Camarillo, the school in our boundary was full. Based on several factors (other adults opinions), El Descanso was my last choice of an alternate school within Camarillo, but was the only elem. school that had room. However, I can tell you, both my children are extremely happy there. They enjoy their classmates, the teachers are very caring and the office staff has always been very helpful, competent and caring. The first day after I picked them up, my older child stated it 'was the best day of her life'! They continue to love it there and are constantly learning. Before moving here, they attended a Blue Ribbon & CA Distinguished school. I wanted the same for them when I moved here, and they are receiving an excellent education in a wonderful environment and I won't hesitate to tell anyone that El Descanso delivers that to my children!

My children came to el descanso in the middle of the school year in 2007, and they have been nothing but great. My son was having trouble reading and now that is not a factor anymore and my daughter recieved student of the month. I feel like el descanso is a great school, no school is perfect.

It's time for an updated review. My daughter has been at EDS k-4. She has had a variety of 'teaching styles' . This variety has peeked her learning, it keeps things fresh and gives her something to look forward to with each year. We have a new principal since the negative comments were made about Mrs. Sigler (whom I think was firm, but great) Mr. Winters has his very own style. I see him around the campus A LOT, which I love. The kids adore him! He is also very approachable and makes himself available to parents as well as students. We were given the option to change to Los Primeros (another great school I'm sure) but we wouldn't think of leaving. EDS is GREAT!

I think this is a great school. The teachers are wonderful and caring. The office staff are wonderful. No complaints

Last modified El Descanso Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-7. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 5 out of 10 based on academic quality.