Las Posas Elementary School

Public | K-5

Living in Camarillo

Situated in a suburban neighborhood. The median home value is $375,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,450.

Posted October 24, 2013

The Las Posas PTA has worked very hard to raise money to fund a PE and music program. I am very happy that the children are able to have this type of curriculum and will continue to support the PTA. Ms. Bendinelli has been my son and daughter's first grade teacher and she is a blessing to this school. It would be nice to see more parents helping out and volunteering.

Posted September 10, 2013

This is a great school! We are a military family and we have two children at the school. The school have outstanding teachers who continues to challenge our children at their level. This is our third year at the school and the teachers go above and beyond our expectations. The office staff is friendly and the principle is fantastic. We also really appreciate the PTA for all they do for the school. I highly recommend this school.

Posted September 10, 2013

This school is awesome. We have a wonderful principal, that has does wonders for the kids. My daughter had Ms. A Griffin in second grade and she was amazing, and now she has Mrs. Walk and we love her too. The PTA has helped the school achieve things that some schools don't get, like P.E. and Music and this year Art. Over all I would recommend this school to any moving into the area. They are many military, and very accommidating to the military families that come and go.

Posted September 9, 2013

Las Posas Elementary is a great school. We are a military family and my children were welcomed and felt comfortable immediately after arriving to the school. The teachers, principal and staff collaborate with the PTA and always keep the children's needs as the #1 priority. Las Posas Leopards also have SPIRIT! Health and fitness is a top priority for the children. The intramural sports program is run by our very own teacher. Our students love the opportunity to learn a sport and how to work well with each other. It is a great program that only exists because of our dedicated staff.

Posted May 23, 2013

The new principal is a true leader - and what a huge difference that makes! This school is a focused on the kids, challenging them academically and developing them socially and emotionally. Las Posas has made a huge turn toward becoming a 5-star school. If you want an ultra-fancy place with new buildings, this is not it. If you want teachers that teach because they love inspiring and preparing kids for the future, then Las Posas is a wonderful option. The grounds are kept clean and organized and the huge field, garden, library, playgrounds and multi-purpose room serve the students well. Having met and coordinated with many teachers and members of the administration, and after spending hundreds of hours on campus with witness to lots of behind the scenes interactions, I would recommend this school to a friend or newly transferred military family. Sometimes star-ratings don't tell the whole story and in the case of Las Posas, the campus has changed in many ways with the addition of many accomplished and creative teachers and leadership respected throughout the region.

Posted June 9, 2012

Las Posas has a warm inviting campus with great teachers. The past two principals haven't been able to balance grants, teacher support, parent support, and student discipline. However, next year, a very seasoned elementary school principal (leaving Rancho Rosal) will be joining us and has great expertise in balancing all areas. This great school will finally have a strong leader!

Posted September 19, 2011

I have had 3 kids go to this school one started in kindergarden, and graduated last year as a 5 th grader. One started as a preschooler and went up to 4th . And I have one in kindergarden. I have been a very active parent, going too ALL the school functions, fund raisers and even volunteered there 4 days a week for 3 different grades. So let me just say this....this is a great school, has some real gem teachers and staff. I really loved this school up til last year. 2 years ago we got a new principal, a man who is not for the best for the children, or the staff. Horrible if you need to deal with him in anyway, and not fair. I would also warn you that I would never put my kid in the preschool program with the current male teacher as well. I feel like my lil one was not pre pared for kindergarten at all! It was brought to the principals attention by more that 4 parents that I know of as well as staff, and nothing was done! Too bad because like I said some teachers there are truly priceless.....I am currently looking for another school to put my two in and get as far away from this one as possible, until I hear they get a new principal.....I would stay far away fro this school!!!!

Posted April 20, 2011

For the final semester of 4th grade Las Posas students were asked to read a biography of a person who impacted the nation in a positive way. Instead of writing an essay for this reading as usual students were asked to color and post pictures with captions. Compared to other local schools students at Las Posas 4th grade are not challenged to perform as their co-horts. Las Posas is not delivering an education a student will need to compete for jobs. The principal and teachers do not invite nor take advantage of parent involvement.

Posted August 13, 2010

Student confidentiality is practically nonexistent at Las Posas School. On many occasions I have had personal student information and speculative gossip dumped on me by a teacher. It really is a shame to see educated professionals engage in this type of bully behavior.

Posted May 20, 2010

All schools in Camarillo are great- but what matters the most are the teachers and the students...a community of learners that make everyone feel important and encourage growth.

Posted February 28, 2010

My two daughters started at Las Posas in the middle of last semester. They absolutely love their teachers (First and Fourth grade). I have met some other teachers and staff and so far they have all be great, friendly, and care very much about our children! We felt very welcomed and recommend this school!

Posted April 15, 2009

My children transfered to Las Posas in mid term and have flourished. I am really happy with the progress they have made and the teachers really care. The district is great and parents are very involved.

Posted January 24, 2009

I am so impressed with the level of caring & nurturing present at this school. The Pricinpal and her entire staff go waaaaaay beyond to help each individual student (and parent) have a great educational experience!!!

Posted January 23, 2009

Let me tell you..this is a fantastic school which encourages family participation. My son is now in 6th grade and his 5th grade teacher at Las Posas fully prepared him for the rigors of middle school and he is excelling. Also, when confronted with the issues of bullying at his new school, his LPS 5th teacher took the time to talk with him and give him wonderful advice...this teacher goes above and beyond and cares about his former students. My daughters 4th grade teacher is wonderful and has been very helpful with any issue that I have communicated to her...my daughter's writing has improved under her teachers encouragement. Principal recently recieved a grant for a native california garden and all the children were involved in planting it, thus learning about helping the environment. Out of all the schools in PVSD, LPS is the absolute best bar none!!!

Posted December 14, 2008

While I think great schools is a valuable site, there are some inaccuracies. One must review the actual dates comments/items are added. At Las Posas, there are now very many extracurricular activites which are not reflected within. Las Posas has a flag football team (one of only two schools in PVSD) and a basketball program ran by a very wonderful 5th grade teacher who volunteers his time. In addition, Las Posas has a Science Club and a Homework club. Top that off with a superquiz team and a Robotics team. Las Possas is a wonderful school, and despite budget cuts, continues to step up to the plate giving all children a fantastic education.

Posted June 6, 2008

We moved into the area 5 years ago and we did a lot of research as to what district we would want our children to be in. Pleaseant Valley District was rated by far the best. our children love this school. Every year my daughter always had the best teacher. For the past 2 years my son has as well. All my encounters with the teachers have been absolutly wonderful. They truly love their students and take extra time when they need to with our kids. My impression of the principle wasnt that great the first year she came.She seemed snooty and had a little click of teachers and parents she ran with. This year I have seen a change especially since the birth of her first child. I drive my kids from the military base inspite of gas prices. Its worth it to us. I hope this helps someone.

Posted May 16, 2008

My children have been attending Las Posas for three years now. I love Las Posas, especially Mrs. Garza, the principal of the school. She knows all of her students. And is great with all the kids as I have observed. She makes sure that they are safe crossing the street and is very patient and caring with them. There should be more teachers and principals like her. The schools would be soo much better off even with the budget cuts. We live in another district and I drive my kids 15 miles everyday even with the gas being soo high. Because it is such a great school and my kids are learning so so much.

Posted April 18, 2008

My experience as a parent with the teachers and the staff has been excellent. The 4th and 5th grade teachers have challenged my daughter academically and provided great support, and she's excelling . The PreK teachers are awesome. Outstanding school.

Posted October 24, 2007

Great school overall. Teachers are the cream of the crop in camarillo school district. Office staff a little off...could probably be more friendly. No idea of the PTA group but that would fall on my shoulders as I have not gone to a meeting yet.

Posted August 6, 2007

My son has been at Las Posas going on 3 years now, and so far the teachers have been great, how ever the principal I really dont care for, it seems as though she only speaks with parents of higher class. But so far I love the teachers, we'll see what happens this year. Oh and the parking is a big mess!!!!

This school's

(2012)

5 / 10

2 / 10

API Growth scores over time

Did this school meet the API goal this year?
  • This school met the state goal of 800.

API Growth scores by subgroup

Did this school meet all the API goals for student subgroups this year?
  • This school did not meet all student subgroup API targets for 2013

Change from 2012 to 2013
API Statewide Rank
(2012)

5 / 10

API Statewide Rank (2012)

2 / 10

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 56% in 2013.

79 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

79 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 46% in 2013.

83 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 66% in 2013.

82 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 65% in 2013.

72 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 72% in 2013.

72 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 60% in 2013.

84 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

83 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 57% in 2013.

82 students were tested at this school in 2013.

All Students56%

• Sue Sigler
Fax number
  • (805) 388-5431

Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Targeted Assistance program (TAS)

Apply now