866 students|Pleasant Valley

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Agree (5 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (4 responses)
Currently, most people answered Agree (4 responses)

Teacher effectiveness: Strongly agree

This really varies by individual but there are so many outstanding teachers they certainly bring up the average for the just plain good ones.

Amount of homework: Strongly agree

A lot of the homework is NOT busy work! Yes, they assign homework, but I do not feel like teachers assign homework just to say they do.

Momte Vista is an amazing school with a faculty and staff that go above and beyond every day! There is so much that they offer that no other middle school I have heard of does. They are undergoing an elective Renaissance to offer students opportunities to explore their passions: 21st century writing, ASB, art, coding and robotics, broadcast journalism, and even a junior college level marine biology course for 8th graders! Additionally, they have an agriculture pathway that connects with ACHS ("Cam High")! Teachers give up their lunches to host lunch time clubs giving students a sense of community and belonging. They have an active CJSF chapter and many sports programs! This school does an excellent job of transitioning 5th graders into middle school, and prepping 8th graders for high school! With some many elementary schools adding 6-8 the temptation is to keep them at their k-5 school, but don't do it! Monte Vista is a wonderful place for students! Don't let a few people's sour grapes spoil your opinion of a gem of a school! If you're on the fence, call and schedule a tour. You'll be blown away! Oh, and stop by Mrs. Collins class to see the fish and the farm. I am so thankful Monte Vista is my kid's school!

My oldest son attended Monte Vista Middle for 3 years and he had a great experience here. The teachers are nice and very supportive of the students. As a parent, whenever I have a question or concern, I would just them send an email and they do respond right away. We worked together as a team to help my student in fulfilling his goals. Every year, we anticipate on the school's Chalk Festival. Monte Vista students are very artistic and creative. Currently, my youngest son attends Monte Vista as a 6th grader.

My daughter has had a good middle school experience at Monte Vista. I believe that the teachers do really care about studentts and do their best to meet each of them where they are individually. My daughter has definitely benefitted from the military teen club on campus. It has given her a sense of belonging and support.

Monte Vista is a great place for students to learn. I have had four sons go through Monte Vista and the friendships they have made their have been never ending. The teachers at engaged and love interacting with the students.

My daughter just finished her 6th grade year at Monte Vista and had a terrific year. I could not be more pleased. As an involved parent, PTA member & volunteer, I had done a lot of research on middle schools in my area and surrounding areas. I met with the school counselor, Mrs. Barrish (WONDERFUL WOMAN!) before the school year started to get feel for the school and its programs, etc. I was pleasantly surprised at how at ease I felt after meeting with her and getting such a great vibe. Monte Vista excels in transitioning 5th graders into the middle school atmosphere. The block scheduling is, by far, one of the best things this school does. I wish every other school did this too. I feel it enhances the educational experience and learning for the students given that each class is long enough to learn a lesson, do a lab, work on projects, get a real "hands on" feel to the lessons, etc. I was thrilled my daughter worked on so many projects in class with other students too. Another bonus is that each student receives his/her own chrome book for the duration of middle school. The education, diversity, and experiences at Monte Vista surpassed my expectations and I would absolutely recommend this school to others.

My kids have received a great education at Monte Vista. My child just graduated as one of the Valedictorians and had great teachers and administration throughout. My youngest just finished 6th grade and is thriving at Monte Vista. As a teacher, myself, I know that test scores are only one piece of a picture and that there is so much more to a school. At Monte Vista, there are so many opportunities for music, the arts, academic teams, leadership, extracurricular sports (cross country, basketball, soccer, field hockey) and field trips. I feel that this school is nicely diverse and has given my kids a very well-rounded education and taste of life in measurable, age-appropriate doses. In addition to regular core classes, there are some really amazing electives like 21st Century Writing and Marine Biology and Yearbook - all taught by fantastic teachers. The teachers of the core classes have also been really great! We couldn't be happier with our experience here.

Teacher effectiveness: Strongly agree

We have really had good experiences with every teacher we have had in the 4 collective years of Middle school (between my two kids)

Develops character: Strongly agree

When I saw the kids that were honored at graduation, I felt they were kids that embodied the spirit of honesty, integrity and fairness. The school put these students forward as models of these virtues. What better way is there to help guide what our kids should look up to than by showing good examples?

Last modified Monte Vista Middle School is a Public school that serves grades 6-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 7 out of 10 based on academic quality.