K-8|Private

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)

When we joined Canyon Heights back in 2014 we were not sure if we would remain. However, a new Head of School was appointed who has made several areas her top priority. 1. Improving teachers with higher degrees in Elementary Education and diverse cultures - this was pleasing to my family. 2. Focus on the Basics and science, not a common core curriculum. This has proven to help the schools test scores and retention of students and staff. 3 Giving some attn. to a much needed campus. Leasing an older property is never easy. But with the dedicate support of families, alumni and fundraising, the campus has improved dramatically in 3 years. The Community of Families is like no other school or church I have come across. They support all members and provide spiritual guidance and help. Last but not least, they offer several daily/weekly masses for family and students to attend. Reconnecting with faith and the mass has kept us at Canyon Heights Academy along with the tremendous teachers and staff that have come in the last two years.

Develops character: Strongly agree

The morality and character emphasis at CHA needs to be seen. Meeting a young person who looks you in the eye and can converse eloquently with adults is phenomenal. Catholic formation is taught in all classes and teachers discuss a value of the month using K4J program.

Teacher effectiveness: Strongly agree

My family's current teachers have been supportive, communicate well to my spouse and me and ensure if any issues need to be addressed, we have a meeting and action plan. It's a partnership, not just their job.

Amount of homework: Strongly agree

Homework is a part of our school system regardless of where you attend. I think the parent plays a key role in discussing homework and expectations with the teacher to understand when its helping augment what they learn in class vs. emphasizing a new skill they need to grasp.

Teacher effectiveness: Neutral

Some teachers are effective, some are trying to pick up, because of the high turnvoer ratio, quite a few new teachers.

Amount of homework: Disagree

Homework is about 10 to 15 minutes each day for my 4th grade. It seems like not much. But for some kids who "need different type of learning", it maybe too much. Again, I am disatisfied with the fact that each class has a few students who has special need on academic education. I worry about the resource, where does my tuition go? I think we all paid the same amount.

Develops character: Neutral

Some of the students shows integraty, but some of kids are really mean although they most come from Christian families. The Virtue eduction seems like stays on paper, not really have kids get much.

Our three kids joined the school five years ago. Overall, I think the school is ok, at least many mothers involved to build up a close community and support our kids in school. The good part is all facility is ok, huge playground grass field let kids enjoy their break time. Teachers are kind, dressed properly every day. Kids come from families who cares about eduction. Bad parts are teacher turnover rate is pretty high from 2013 to 2015; Kids are not in a close relationship, and we are losing students in each class. My youngest one attending 2nd grade can't even find someone to play with during recess time. All three of my kids complained the school life is boring because no friends. Academic is not challeging, and many lower school class has special need kids. I wonder how much time teacher actually spend with my kids. The feeling is mixed when we have to decide to choose another school. Extracurriculum is weak, no strong sports neither art or music program.

Our son and daughter have been at the school since they were in pre-school which was 5 years ago. We love the academic, religious and holistic approach to education. The teachers are very dedicated and the staff is very friendly and helpful. Our kids (and the parents) have made some great friends here. We look forward to staying till the 8th grade.

It is heartbreaking to see many teachers leave this school every year after year. Terrible administration. They focus so much time about your bank account. Be carful! they can lead you with false promises and get you no where. Many teachers are not credentialed and the curriculum is not a match for a private school. Horrible administration. Look for many other great school in the area.

Last modified Canyon Heights Academy is a Private school that serves grades K-8