Canoga Park, CA

Posted August 30, 2015
Columbus MS tends to get a bad wrap for its overall experience but in reality it is only the parents who's children don't even go there that talk bad about the school. I feel as if it greatly suited my child. The experience isn't an easy one and yes the diversity isn't that great (Hispanic dominated) but their programs are worth while. Their Hippocrates Circle Program w/ Kaiser is amazing; inspiring young minds to pursue medical careers. Their athletic and after-school programs are great; promoting team work and athletics! Their accelerated studies in the Magnet program allow a great taste in the science field with biology and health joint education programs. Their classes allow exploration in the sciences: computer, health-related, biology/chemistry, and laboratory. It may seem dull at first but their music and drama is absolutely great!!!!! (Carol is an aspiring and awesome coach for the kids in drama. ) Their H Bio course offers lab hands-on experience with dissections and their behaviorology course leads to the students exploration in the world of psychology. They are just overall great at creating well-rounded and humble kids. Appearances lie people! Enrolling your child here only leads to greater things.

Develops grit: Strongly agree

Posted August 30, 2015
Their magnet programs lead them to develop a passion in the medical/biology/lab/chemistry fields. It is highly effective.

Develops honesty: Strongly agree

Posted August 30, 2015
Its students are generally honest and caring. Of course there are the rebels, but that only makes it that much easier for the "good kids" to make the right decisions. Columbus has implemented a great new discipline breaking the normal "detention" rehab.

Christopher Columbus Middle School 2

Posted May 22, 2015
I have nothing more to add.I already said everything. the school needs new staff members and definitely a new principal.

Posted November 26, 2013
This School is a good school overall it really isnt what all the other parents whos childs DONT attend this school say. The teachers there are very friendly to the parents, and the Magnet Coordinator is always very helpful , if you ever have any question on how your child is doing she is the one to go to who will keep you updated on your childs grades and anything else you need help in, Marie Kazanjian is by far one of the best Educators there is at the school. My childern have learned alot of stuff from her and also Steve Firestein some of the best teachers there & The best P.E educators would have to be Mr.Armstrong and Mr.Evans ! The campus could just a little cleaner and have better food but besides that its a very good school, & your opinion about this school just really depends on who you are and who your child hangs out with during school hours and there decisions they make.

Posted November 22, 2013
EXCELLENt students and administrators, and teachers especially these KOUZIAN, MURRAY,WILLIAMS, CORNELL, CHAU, This school has a lot of learning environment. great students people used RESPECt with parents and other adults+++++++ AWESOME AMAZING

Christopher Columbus Middle School 1

Posted November 01, 2012
Unforgettable Experience!!! never again!! I came and visited this school one day to connect and because this is one of our transition school of choice for my daughter who attends a neighboring school. I decided to pay a visit one day. Boy I was surprised. There were no hello, how are you or what can we do for you and I was not even offer to seat down where there was 2 empty chairs. My visit lasted less than 10 mins. The 10 mins consists of humiliation, rudeness attitude of the principal Ann Alloca. This person has no class, very rude, obnoxious and lack of respect toward other parents. As a parent I was in shock. My visit here was nerved wrecking and I will not advise any students nor family to go to this school. It's a trap. We're very happy at Lawrence Middle School. They need to get rid off these bad educators who are not providing the proper ethics in our school system. Must watch "Waiting for Superman". It says it all about our education system. Ann Alloca you are fired!!!

Christopher Columbus Middle School 1

Posted August 17, 2012
A school is a school for Columbus Middle School. They do have nice programs and provide education, but the staff and students are mean. It is not a great school for my child to be in. You have got students climbing over the fence to get the ball that is across the street (very dangerous). Students smoking at the far end of the field and there are younger children there too who should not see this or even think about this (very bad influence). There is this new security guard and he's a bit grumpy, last year's security guard was better and he was always looking out for everyone, not just Columbus students, but every children. That was nice.

Posted August 17, 2012
columbus was the greatest school for my daughter, the counselor that my dtr had very caring and always on top and accommodating,always gives me the best advice, i will never find someone like her ,never will forget her help all thruout, the office staff were always ready to help with a smile, the principal was always involved from flagraising to closing of school at the end of the day and most of her teachers were really great excellent really cared for the success of my dtr, i was really glad I put my dtr from 6th -8th grade at columbus. No regrets. The culmination ceremony was very touching!!!!!!1 Thanks a lot columbus staff

Posted June 25, 2012
I am one of the former students of Columbus' Medical/Science Magnet, Class of 2012. Being in the magnet has been such a great experience. All of the teachers I had were fantastic with the usual bad one from time to time. The two best teachers in the whole school is the magnet math and science teachers. They teach us all the standards and above with flying colors. Columbus is like every other school with the trouble making kids and the below the standard teachers but you will always find that anywhere you go. All the staff will make the experience at Columbus an experience you will never forget (especially at Culmination. shhhhh!).

22250 Elkwood Street, Canoga Park, CA  91304
Last modified Christopher Columbus Middle School is a Public school that serves grades 6-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 3 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Christopher Columbus Middle School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 54 reviews. Top